Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
So the right team is one where Marner takes way less dollars than what he thinks he's entitled to, and one in which he plays second fiddle so as not to have any pressure on him.

Yeah, that's a big no .
I don't know how many teams today would line up to pay this guy a cent over 9m a year let alone 11+ or whatever the hell he is looking for.

I'm not saying it's realistic because maybe Marner has such an ego with his salary which he has definitely shown so far. I'm just laying out a scenario that makes sense if he actually wants to succeed.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't know how many teams today would line up to pay this guy a cent over 9m a year let alone 11+ or whatever the hell he is looking for.

I'm not saying it's realistic because maybe Marner has such an ego with his salary which he has definitely shown so far. I'm just laying out a scenario that makes sense if he actually wants to succeed.
The only fight i have seen in Marner over the years is during his contract negotiations. The kid pulls no punches when it comes to getting his money. And his hissy fits are legendary (glove toss like a child). Such an unlikeable player.

Reactions: BillDineen

yeaher

May 3, 2019

Yeah his regular season output doesn't justify more than $10M, neither does Nylander's for that matter and his seems far more inconsistent. Both of them have been overpaid since contract #2 and the team hasn't gotten any better as a result of wasting money on these two very good but not remotely great players.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Nylander had an excellent season and is a known playoff performer. Also under a new management it may be hard to justify you deserve the Nylander contract.

Marner has consistently had better regular seasons. Neither of them does much in the playoffs. Going rate for 100 point players is what it is. No idea what team in their right mind trades for him.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
That’s probably a puck more than what Marner would get. We all watch hockey.
Marner at 2.5 retained would bring back a big return and that’s coming from someone who has been super critical of him and the dumbass who signed him to that deal. A 100 point Selke candidate at 8.5 million. Playoff performances don’t mean shit to teams like Anaheim, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit ect who can’t even make the playoff and are DESPERATE to just get in. Marner has never missed the playoffs in his career.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Matthews is the #1 problem...he scores like Ovie but unlike Ovie has no heart, is soft and has zero leadership qualities...

Detroit will take him no retention but we ask that you take back Fabbri or Matta aa part of any deal
Also Ovie never shit himself during a playoff game. Or if he did, he kept playing and forced the opposition to smell it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I can’t see any way Marner waives his NMC. The media whirlwind this offseason won’t bother him on his boat.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Fans are going to rightfully shit all over Marner. I don't even care. He has value, he is a 90+ winger for god sakes and there are a lot of teams who would kill for the offense to help sniff a playoff spot. Those are the teams I am calling.

If CBJ didn't have Gaudreau I could see them as a fit. Instead I think the Sharks with Smith and whoever else, Hawks with Bedard, Ducks with Carlsson all could have real value from Marner.

As for what they give up? I don't really care. Would be happy with a few draft picks or prospects. A team willing to get Marner for a 2nd and a decent prospect is going to do it. Hell I'd take a late first and a small short term cap dump back.

Fans always say this and it never happens. Teams get the guy they want every single year.
ya you could just see Marner choosing to go to the Blue Jackets.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

I can just see a GM justifying a trade for Marner:

"Well we had to make this trade when we found out Mitch was available. Here we have a guy that will put up points in the regular season for us and will give us a chance to get into the post season. That's what we are paying Mitch 11M to do. Once we get to the post-season, we won't expect much from Mitch. That's not what we are paying him for. He has a role. He's a role player. If we make the post season with Mitch, well we are playing with house money. If we lose in 4 well at least we got there. Mitch got us there. "

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Probably a decent fit

Marner resigned for Musty + Ferraro + 2025 2nd would probably feel fair for both sides. Would be a good way to kickstart a rebuild and Smith-Marner-Celebrini on the PP would be incredible.
I find it quite unlikely that the Sharks would put Musty on the table for Marner. Ferraro I could see even guys like Granlund or Sturm or Kunin but not anything they view as future pieces to their rebuild. Not when Marner has that NMC and not this early in the rebuild. Sharks only trade for Marner if they get him at a steep discount.

Reactions: WSS11

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You're right, Toronto prolly has to throw in a pick to get rid of that contract.

Armia for Marner +3rd

Last chance
lol yeah I dont think it works that way. why would they pay just to move his contract? they got enough cap to get by for the final year. they could get away with just buying him out for his final year before paying.

pretty terrible offer anyways.

I don't think you can maximize his value. Its more a question of whether you can trade him at all given his NMC, caphit and bad rap for post-season futility.

The most likely scenario has the Leafs playing out Marner and JT's contracts.
well I already did bring up his NTC just if he's willing to waive it retaining 50% should give an extra boost over his value at full contract

Aug 25, 2009
éal
They should take the swap for Dubois. He’s gonna float for 82 games then show Matthews how it’s done in the playoff. Rather have him than Marner TBH.

Reactions: Jee

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Dubois Marner is getting slapped around in the playoffs again

Hes the 2nd worst contract in the NHL after Huberdeau
Habs need to worry about making sure slaf continues to develop and they might get a ppg player for once

Playoffs for the habs a good 10 years away no doubt

Marners contract if it sucks like you believe is up in a year

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Mitch would fit the Islanders, great defensive team that needs scoring. Patrick Roy would possibly light a fire under him.

Reactions: iggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad