Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Pens don't got the assets to pull it off imo, unless you're putting Crosby on the table which is counter intuitive.

He's had a shit playoffs, and there will be a slight damper on the price but he'll fetch a pretty significant package - probably a team like the Senators/Wings.

Why are the Sens trading for a rental?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He has a NMC so holds all the power as to where he goes, making his value lesser than if he didn't. A 1st and Pettersson would an impressive result if the Leafs could get it for an expiring Marner who has a NMC.
And yet we always see 1 year players left get a 1st + B prospect at minimum

What would change here? You offered the cap dump graves and another of our choice in smith or rakell

Marners value is near a 1st + 2nd unsigned even with an NMC, especially if he wants out

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
It’s not that they are getting away with it, actually maybe from the media but the fans are not letting them get away with it. Take a look at the Matthews thread if you don’t believe me on the leafs board

We just locked Matthews up, he’s the 1C of our team so we aren’t dealing that

Tavares also has a year left and is much worse than Marner. I see him as a cap dump for the final year so we’d have to pay to get rid of

Marner has some value, but doesn’t fit playoff hockey as the 2nd best player on a team. Maybe 3-4th in a kessel like role
You're 100% right in your assessments. The comment was more about defending Marner than putting down the other two. Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous and I'm a Habs fan. Marner for Jones with no retention? Lmaooo. Some people forget how rare consistent 80-90 pts two-way players who play the PK are. He's a 0 physically yes but one year of a top 10 winger in the league would return something decent (far cry from negative value).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Matthews is the #1 problem...he scores like Ovie but unlike Ovie has no heart, is soft and has zero leadership qualities...

Detroit will take him no retention but we ask that you take back Fabbri or Matta aa part of any deal
Did the NHL screw up, to be honest I was someone who could have cared less about hockey in Arizona, but that is because I am a old shit that needs to understand that certain markets are needed, with that would a Auston Mathews have made a difference in saving Arizona's franchise, I know that the arena was the biggest issue, but would he being Coyote property changed some thinking that might have pushed building arena process quicker, now I know everyone will jump on me and say no way he was going to Arizona, but remember if Toronto breaks up this heartless group would it have in the interest of the league to have him got to his native home, and I am not the smartest guy in a small room, but I am not naive enough that shit like that can happen if the league wanted to, these owners are a , never mind I won't say it, but the Maple Leafs would be well taken care of I would say. Arizona fans in my mind are getting screwed big time even if they get a expansion team, they finally have some young players with great promise of being a interesting team and have them take away from you, that sucks . Arizona fans are being asked to start the process of supporting and hoping to have a competitive team again, while Utah just takes over seems a little unfair to me and underhanded. But NHL as their rich owners and now have a new one, and they also have Gary Betteman uggh, I fear the NHL will go the way of other sports teams and ruin this game like the ownership and leadership have in other sports. Baseball, the CNBA and to some degree the NFL...........

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
And yet we always see 1 year players left get a 1st + B prospect at minimum

What would change here? You offered the cap dump graves and another of our choice in smith or rakell

Marners value is near a 1st + 2nd unsigned even with an NMC, especially if he wants out

I didn't offer anything, I don't work for the Pens or support them.... and I also mentioned those players plus a pick in my original post

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The Pens were the team I first thought of. I was thinking Graves and Rackell or Reilly Smith plus a pick or something but Jarry would make so much sense.

Marner will go elsewhere and have a 1000pt+ career but the Leafs need to change.
I didn't offer anything, I don't work for the Pens or support them.... and I also mentioned those players plus a pick in my original post
Unless the pick is the 1st overall pick this is an awful idea…

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nobody wants Josh Anderson lol, Id rather pocket lint for Marner over Josh Anderson

actually Anderson isnt even that bad I dunno whats up with him this season but if he was making less money Id be interested in him to play a bottom 6 role
Pocket lint is what you would get for Marner and his 11M caphit. Pocket lint has more heart than Marner.

• Haha
Reactions: MCB and BillDineen

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Pocket lint is what you would get for Marner and his 11M caphit. Pocket lint has more heart than Marner.
well if Leafs were to trade him id hope they would retain 50% also not expecting much for him at this point. Im expecting he either extends for more money than I wanna see or he walks for nothing because he holds all the cards. if Marner doesnt wanna leave, he's going no where.

Leafs are f***ed. new aged Muskoka 5 except this time we might still wanna keep 1 or 2 of them (Matthews and Nylander)

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Sabres say keep your retention, we give your our first this year, Skinner and retain $2.5 million starting next year and we throw in Henri the Joker however you spell his last name.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
well if Leafs were to trade him id hope they would retain 50% also not expecting much for him at this point. Im expecting he either extends for more money than I wanna see or he walks for nothing because he holds all the cards. if Marner doesnt wanna leave, he's going no where.

Leafs are f***ed. new aged Muskoka 5 except this time we might still wanna keep 1 or 2 of them (Matthews and Nylander)
I don't see the Leafs retaining 50% on Marner. If they can dump him for nothing but the capspace, that is a win. The 11M can go along way to rebuilding the Leafs D and G.

Reactions: BillDineen

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I don't see the Leafs retaining 50% on Marner. If they can dump him for nothing but the capspace, that is a win. The 11M can go along way to rebuilding the Leafs D and G.
losing your top players just prolongs rebuilds. I also think with Matthews signed another 5 and Nylander 8 they will be more interested in a quick retool.

I just dunno how else to maximize his value at this point.
great regular season player sure but teams cant depend on him to take that next step in the playoffs when it matters.

who knows maybe he leaves and breaks out having an elite playoffs and its actually the Leafs who are cursed

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
losing your top players just prolongs rebuilds. I also think with Matthews signed another 5 and Nylander 8 they will be more interested in a quick retool.

I just dunno how else to maximize his value at this point.
great regular season player sure but teams cant depend on him to take that next step in the playoffs when it matters.

who knows maybe he leaves and breaks out having an elite playoffs and its actually the Leafs who are cursed
I don't think you can maximize his value. Its more a question of whether you can trade him at all given his NMC, caphit and bad rap for post-season futility.

The most likely scenario has the Leafs playing out Marner and JT's contracts.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I wonder if he gets traded, will he still command 11+ because Nylander makes x and Matthews makes y. Or will he come down to earth and ask for something more reasonable. That would be a big factor, I still think he would be a good player on the right team. Too many divas on one team doesn't work though and the Leafs core is all divas.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I wonder if he gets traded, will he still command 11+ because Nylander makes x and Matthews makes y. Or will he come down to earth and ask for something more reasonable. That would be a big factor, I still think he would be a good player on the right team. Too many divas on one team doesn't work though and the Leafs core is all divas.
Define right team? lol

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I
Define right team? lol
I don't think Marner can be THE guy especially in a market like Toronto or any other Canadian market frankly, too much pressure for him. Doesn't help him and his buddies were all trying to one up each other with their contracts.

I think a team that doesn't rely heavily on one line to score is best for him. Like a Carolina or Dallas type. Also comes down to him asking for way less money on his next contract.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I

I don't think Marner can be THE guy especially in a market like Toronto or any other Canadian market frankly, too much pressure for him. Doesn't help him and his buddies were all trying to one up each other with their contracts.

I think a team that doesn't rely heavily on one line to score is best for him. Like a Carolina or Dallas type. Also comes down to him asking for way less money on his next contract.
So the right team is one where Marner takes way less dollars than what he thinks he's entitled to, and one in which he plays second fiddle so as not to have any pressure on him.

Yeah, that's a big no .

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Hfboards, of all places, is the last place you want to value a leaf player at ; especially if they’re at a low point.

This site has been proven time and again that the opinion of fans (especially these ones, and even the respected ones) have close to zero idea as to how GMs value certain players.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hfboards, of all places, is the last place you want to value a leaf player at ; especially if they’re at a low point.

This site has been proven time and again that the opinion of fans (especially these ones, and even the respected ones) have close to zero idea as to how GMs value certain players.
Habs fans called the value of Monahan, Lehkonen, Toffoli and Chiarot.... Just ask Habs fans, we'll tell ya! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad