Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
That offer is garbage

Your not getting an expiring Marner without a 1st + Pettersson at minimum

As bad as he has been in the playoffs this year hes the pens best or second best player

if he comes with an extensio

Yager + 1st +
He has a NMC so holds all the power as to where he goes, making his value lesser than if he didn't. A 1st and Pettersson would an impressive result if the Leafs could get it for an expiring Marner who has a NMC.

Reactions: Blueswin

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He has a NMC so holds all the power as to where he goes, making his value lesser than if he didn't. A 1st and Pettersson would an impressive result if the Leafs could get it for an expiring Marner who has a NMC.
Pettersson is an expiring UFA himself

And the 1st for pens with marner is expected to be playoffs will be top 10 protected

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The problem with trading for 1 year of him is what next? It's a contact year so he'll want like 12m @8 after.

This is the problem, and will ultimately kill his value. I'd actually be open to seeing how he'd fit on the Canucks. He's a defensively responsible player and an excellent PKer, which Tocchet would adore. Who knows? The change of scenery could do wonders.

Unfortunately, there's no way we could give him even 10M, let alone 12M.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
The teams that need him can't afford to give up what the Leafs want/need in return. He'll have to go someplace that is desperate to win and is willing to lose a d-man in return. Not many teams fit that bill. Plus he has a NMC so he'll call his shot.

Plus there's no way they trade him within the division

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
what kind of value would the Leafs be looking at, if moving Mitch Marner retained to $8.5 mil this year?
The problem is what Marner will be demanding on his next contract and his NMC which limits the number of teams that could be interested. If Marner is looking for 10M+, no one will take him on unless its just as a rental for the 1 year at 8.5M. And even then, it doesn't make sense to acquire a known playoff bust and give up assets in the process.

Marner's 11M cap is worth more than what he brings on the ice.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Fans are going to rightfully shit all over Marner. I don't even care. He has value, he is a 90+ winger for god sakes and there are a lot of teams who would kill for the offense to help sniff a playoff spot. Those are the teams I am calling.

If CBJ didn't have Gaudreau I could see them as a fit. Instead I think the Sharks with Smith and whoever else, Hawks with Bedard, Ducks with Carlsson all could have real value from Marner.

As for what they give up? I don't really care. Would be happy with a few draft picks or prospects. A team willing to get Marner for a 2nd and a decent prospect is going to do it. Hell I'd take a late first and a small short term cap dump back.

You are correct, we will just wait for him to hit free agency.

Fans always say this and it never happens. Teams get the guy they want every single year.

Reactions: jaric1862

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Fans are going to rightfully shit all over Marner. I don't even care. He has value, he is a 90+ winger for god sakes and there are a lot of teams who would kill for the offense to help sniff a playoff spot. Those are the teams I am calling.

If CBJ didn't have Gaudreau I could see them as a fit. Instead I think the Sharks with Smith and whoever else, Hawks with Bedard, Ducks with Carlsson all could have real value from Marner.

As for what they give up? I don't really care. Would be happy with a few draft picks or prospects. A team willing to get Marner for a 2nd and a decent prospect is going to do it. Hell I'd take a late first and a small short term cap dump back.

Fans always say this and it never happens. Teams get the guy they want every single year.
And why would Marner waive for all of those bottom feeders?

And why would those bottom feeders not just wait 1 year and acquire marner for free?

Reactions: OTC

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'd value Marner as a rental, 1st+2nd. With max retention post 1st of july more than that.

I don't see his value increase based on a hypothetical extension. It could possibly tank the value.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
And why would Marner waive for all of those bottom feeders?

And why would those bottom feeders not just wait 1 year and acquire marner for free?

I already addressed point 2. People say that about every UFA and every UFA if a team wants them they acquire them.

Marner will waive because he is going to be chased out of town. He won't be able to go anywhere in the city without hearing shit. And when management tells him he is not part of the solution, he will cry and leave.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

The 11M capspace is worth more than Marner. That is the issue at hand. And its further complicated by his NMC and his inevitable 11M+ future salary demands. He is bad value at 11+M given that he can't raise his game when it matters most.

Who is going to trade for Marner knowing that he his an entitled child and a playoff bust?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I love how everyone is throwing Marner under the bus but Matthews and Tavares keep getting away with subpar performances in the playoffs.
Tavares can't be dealt and you don't trade a player like Matthews

It comes down to Mitch as the reasonable option, which won't happen either since he has an NMC. He will be re-signed and they'll run this shitshow back

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The 11M capspace is worth more than Marner. That is the issue at hand. And its further complicated by his NMC and his inevitable 11M+ future salary demands. He is bad value at 11+M given that he can't raise his game when it matters most.

Who is going to trade for Marner knowing that he his an entitled child and a playoff bust?

No it's not. To some teams it is. If you are a contender he is not worth the cap space. There are so many franchises who are crying to be more competative and even sniff a playoff spot. He has tons of value to those franchises because in the regular season he will provide full value.

Let's not get lost that Marner has incredible skill and talent and has ample sample size showing he can carry lines - just not in the playoffs.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I already addressed point 2. People say that about every UFA and every UFA if a team wants them they acquire them.

Marner will waive because he is going to be chased out of town. He won't be able to go anywhere in the city without hearing shit. And when management tells him he is not part of the solution, he will cry and leave.
Mitch Marner will not waive for a bottom feeder. And bottom feeders aren't going to buy rentals.

You're looking for a contender, in a desirable destination, with cap space, and not in the division. Go ahead, find that team/team(s)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No it's not. To some teams it is. If you are a contender he is not worth the cap space. There are so many franchises who are crying to be more competative and even sniff a playoff spot. He has tons of value to those franchises because in the regular season he will provide full value.

Let's not get lost that Marner has incredible skill and talent and has ample sample size showing he can carry lines - just not in the playoffs.
No one is paying 11M for a regular season star. That's preposterous. Teams with 11M in capsace can betteruse it by signing UFA's that fill gaps rather than on a spoiled brat. Mitch Marner's NMC will also eliminate most of the teams that don't care about playoff hockey.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Don’t think Marner would be OK with going to a team trying to sniff a playoff spot.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Obviously his NMC clause will affect his market should it get down to a potential trade I think he’ll have a solid market. Not sure about what return to expect with his high cap hit though.
I’ll guess a first and two mid priced and mid ability roster players as a return.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I’m all over this for the Pens.

Pens don't got the assets to pull it off imo, unless you're putting Crosby on the table which is counter intuitive.

He's had a shit playoffs, and there will be a slight damper on the price but he'll fetch a pretty significant package - probably a team like the Senators/Wings.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Flames are so far away from contending they shouldn’t even consider an offer. But considering how myopic Edwards is, I’m sure the Leafs could try and unload him on Calgary for a decent price.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I love how everyone is throwing Marner under the bus but Matthews and Tavares keep getting away with subpar performances in the playoffs.
It’s not that they are getting away with it, actually maybe from the media but the fans are not letting them get away with it. Take a look at the Matthews thread if you don’t believe me on the leafs board

We just locked Matthews up, he’s the 1C of our team so we aren’t dealing that

Tavares also has a year left and is much worse than Marner. I see him as a cap dump for the final year so we’d have to pay to get rid of

Marner has some value, but doesn’t fit playoff hockey as the 2nd best player on a team. Maybe 3-4th in a kessel like role

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Pens don't got the assets to pull it off imo, unless you're putting Crosby on the table which is counter intuitive.

He's had a shit playoffs, and there will be a slight damper on the price but he'll fetch a pretty significant package - probably a team like the Senators/Wings.
Senators would have no interest in the dollars he would want, same with Yzerman I assume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad