Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It’s so true, there is always going to be a scapegoat, and this year it is Mitch. Admittedly, if he carried himself better and didn’t refer to be treated as a god-like figure things may not be so bad for him. But I think most of you forget how talented he is and how hard it is to find players like him.

he had a shit playoffs, no doubt, but the major change needs to be Tavares. Some say he will be willing to sign cheap and that makes things tenable. Not sure I agree. Why aren’t folks more focused on him? He is the captain, produces much less, and adds nothing in terms of pk.

I still say the biggest change for this team has already been made with Berube, but I understand that some don’t buy it. Changing the way the team plays is going to make the biggest difference imo. Then focusing on D.

Berube will get the most out of him, that’s what good coaches do. He’s a 100pt player when fully healthy that can play all situations.

Most of us will remember this, no reason he can’t do this again.

I can see three reasons we focus more on Marner:

First, with their current contracts, we would have to add something, likely a 1st or a prospect, to get someone to take JT even if we retain, while with Mitch there's a good chance of a decent return without.

Second, if both stay until after next season, Mitch will be looking for $12.5x8 while JT will be looking for closer to $4x3.

Finally, while neither was very good in this year's playoffs, I think a lot of people would agree JT is more the playoff type.

Speaking of Berube, JT plays his style of hockey while Mitch doesn't. Not that it's unfathomable that Mitch could change, but I don't think it's likely.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
People kept saying Berube will change how they play are just holding on for last hope.
I highly doubt Keefe told them to not compete or block shots or stay on the outside….
The goal is not win the cup with the Core 5 but somehow that’s become the goal for a lot of fans.

The Core had won ONE playoffs series in 6 years with arguably the most stacked Leafs team in the salary cap era.

Our core beside Reilly are really a whole bunch of Betas pretending to be Alphas.
The goal for a few fans seemed to be to not accept (or admit) how bad Dubas was.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tavares *might* have a future with his club at a dramatically reduced cap hit beyond this coming season whereas it’s very hard to see Marner being here taking up much more cap than he currently is which he most certainly will want. That is a huge difference.

Also it’s completely unrealistic to think that anyone would trade for an 11M Tavares, but they would trade for an 11M Marner.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I can see three reasons we focus more on Marner:

First, with their current contracts, we would have to add something, likely a 1st or a prospect, to get someone to take JT even if we retain, while with Mitch there's a good chance of a decent return without.

Second, if both stay until after next season, Mitch will be looking for $12.5x8 while JT will be looking for closer to $4x3.

Finally, while neither was very good in this year's playoffs, I think a lot of people would agree JT is more the playoff type.

Speaking of Berube, JT plays his style of hockey while Mitch doesn't. Not that it's unfathomable that Mitch could change, but I don't think it's likely.
agreed we don't want to give up assets for someone to take Tavares. He comes off the books in 1 year and it's better to wait. But Mitch's season under Berube will determine what the Leafs do, and I am comfortable with that approach. I believe he will do well with Berube and that will be a key in him staying long term. I think it will be huge for the leafs in general.

Can't say I agree with the comment that Tavares is more a playoff type, I think he's been even less effective... our captian.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
agreed we don't want to give up assets for someone to take Tavares. He comes off the books in 1 year and it's better to wait. But Mitch's season under Berube will determine what the Leafs do, and I am comfortable with that approach. I believe he will do well with Berube and that will be a key in him staying long term. I think it will be huge for the leafs in general.

Can't say I agree with the comment that Tavares is more a playoff type, I think he's been even less effective... our captian.
I didn't say JT was better in the playoffs, just more the playoff type. Physical (both give and take), willing to go to the net, and a north-south style.

I would gladly be proven wrong about Mitch under Berube, but I don't think our leopard can change his stripe.

Reactions: rumman

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
That’s hilarious But what else is he going to say. Unless Marner is different behind closed doors then he is in his whiny press conference where he seems offended every time someone questions him
Just put it out there but yeah ... it's not like Berube is going to say anything one way or another. Just a generic answer from him.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That’s hilarious But what else is he going to say. Unless Marner is different behind closed doors then he is in his whiny press conference where he seems offended every time someone questions him
I think he could have said dozens of things, or even just left it at he’s a character guy. No need to add all the other attributes if he was gone.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Many don’t lol. One had him gone by June 28th, a few more have him gone tomorrow….
Ya unfortunately some of us are starting to realize the new guy is just going to keep running it back over again with this core that simply cannot get it done and if they do extend him we can kiss the next 6-8 years goodbye.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Ya unfortunately some of us are starting to realize the new guy is just going to keep running it back over again with this core that simply cannot get it done and if they do extend him we can kiss the next 6-8 years goodbye.
Just try and be more positive

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Just try and be more positive
negative-and-positive-wording-on-cliffs-with-sunrise-positive-thinking-concept-photo.jpg

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I’ve tried for over 4 decades to be positive and I really thought this tank and rebuild was going to be the one and it’s been an 8 year disaster so far, multiple GM’s and coaches and the results are the same
That is our problem, spinning our tires just go with the core, especially now since they are at peak maturity. They went from 31st to 14th to 7th as teenagers. We changed coaches and nothing improved we change coaches again these guys should be much better than they were at 21. Play out the string with them. Break them up they move on and win somewhere else, meanwhile we will always ask for change.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’m sure all the ex-coaches said the same thing about the core.
You’re up Berube. Watch out for that 1st round though, it’s a b****

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He will most likely get 13.? After this season.
I will still watch but not expect more success then we already not had.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Getting scared because I'm seeing A LOT of different media pushing the narrative

Marner too good to trade.

Can't let him go.

Leafs will extend.

Berube is the change they're gonna make.

Prepping us all for running it back again !
And his agent is just going, We own you Toronto. Only 1 organization dumb enough to overpay the overpay again.
Nobody else will trade for him, give up assets and pay what the Leafs will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad