Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This all could have been lip service to turn down the burner of Leafs nation.

Could be... but it most definitely is a very strong shift from the "we believe in the core" verbal vomit they've subjected to the Leafs fans in the past

They’re not stupid, they know what we want to hear. Believe it when you see it and not a second sooner.

Fans are pissed man. If they continue this "LOSER" route that has provided absolutely no success or hell even any kind of positive trend towards a success fans are gonna either revolt or just do something else

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Could be... but it most definitely is a very strong shift from the "we believe in the core" verbal vomit they've subjected to the Leafs fans in the past

Fans are pissed man. If they continue this "LOSER" route that has provided absolutely no success or hell even any kind of positive trend towards a success fans are gonna either revolt or just do something else
We've all watched through some pretty dark times but for some reason this feels like the last straw for me. Maybe it's my age. I just can't make up a logical reason anymore why I should dedicate this amount of my life to a team that is not serious about the things I want them to be serious about.

I'd rather do something else with my life but it's hard to walk away with so much invested to date and I know IF we ever do win it'll be cathartic and nothing in my life will ever match that feeling.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We've all watched through some pretty dark times but for some reason this feels like the last straw for me. Maybe it's my age. I just can't make up a logical reason anymore why I should dedicate this amount of my life to a team that is not serious about the things I want them to be serious about.

I'd rather do something else with my life but it's hard to walk away with so much invested to date and I know IF we ever do win it'll be cathartic and nothing in my life will ever match that feeling.

It is downright frustrating as a fan. We've seen the same GARBAGE year in and year out especially from Marner. He got paid, he got his signing bonuses and he gave on extra year as a term. No winger in the league at the time Marner signed had 11+ AAV and hell only 6 year term.

Fans were angry but we still said.. ok whatever.. now show the F up and produce in the playoffs. year in and year out this petulant child has found a way to diss fans, media and everyone and never took any responsibility apparently its not his fault for not f***ing showing up in post season.

We've had it man.

Matthews got 4 years left, I don't expect Matthews to be any better after his current deal is done; so this is our 4 year window to go for it. After that it will be about 5 to 6 years of PAIN as we rebuild again.

Have to RETOOL this season, and then use Tavares' cap hit next season to round out the roster and really go for it continuously in the last 3 years of Matthews' contract FULLY ALL IN. And that means Mitch Marner MUST NOT BE PART OF THE MAPLE LEAFS

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
always have been ,unless pelley has the pat burns ,pat quinn cliff fletcher passion .it ll never return
looks like they are running it back lol
pelley is just a pidgeon
We’ll know by ghe end if the summer if they’re season ending presser was just another lip service job, or that jersey sales isn’t their ultimate goal……..

Reactions: hullsy47

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I dont think they are not trying. They will just try as they see fit. You can argue incompetance if you like because fair is fair. If the team is revenue sharing playoffs tv revenue, there is little incentive to fix anything
Maybe try a little harder for the most loyal fan base in the league, they couldn’t have a better reason from my perspective………

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
We keep on talking extending Marner, Marner to Vegas.

I think it's time for me to bring back the good ole wishcasting something into existence.

Marner for Dobson.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
It is downright frustrating as a fan. We've seen the same GARBAGE year in and year out especially from Marner. He got paid, he got his signing bonuses and he gave on extra year as a term. No winger in the league at the time Marner signed had 11+ AAV and hell only 6 year term.

Fans were angry but we still said.. ok whatever.. now show the F up and produce in the playoffs. year in and year out this petulant child has found a way to diss fans, media and everyone and never took any responsibility apparently its not his fault for not f***ing showing up in post season.

We've had it man.

Matthews got 4 years left, I don't expect Matthews to be any better after his current deal is done; so this is our 4 year window to go for it. After that it will be about 5 to 6 years of PAIN as we rebuild again.

Have to RETOOL this season, and then use Tavares' cap hit next season to round out the roster and really go for it continuously in the last 3 years of Matthews' contract FULLY ALL IN. And that means Mitch Marner MUST NOT BE PART OF THE MAPLE LEAFS

Marner's playoff performance on an 8 year deal at $12M will be equivalent what we got from him on his current deal, only longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We keep on talking extending Marner, Marner to Vegas.

I think it's time for me to bring back the good ole wishcasting something into existence.

Marner for Dobson.
I will do you one better.
MM for Parayko, Binnington, 1st and 2nd

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I wish we had taken the 4 1st round picks back in the day to rather than encourage Marner.

Now I guess we will have to pay him 13 million because the media caused shambles in his brain.

It’s getting harder to follow this team yearly.
It is for me too. Not because I've lost interest in hockey, more that i'm left with the feeling the chances of this roster ever challenging for a cup appear to be minuscule. Even if we were in a rebuild at least you could feel they're building towards something and gain hope from that. Committing to carrying on down this road to nowhere is by far the least appealing option of all IMO.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
CJ reporting that not much happening on the Marner front. Leafs not approaching him blah blah blah. Could be a Leafs sending a message to teams that they will not ne giving him away. With two weeks to July 1st, Tre should moving his ass on the Marner front or Marner will be putting up 100 points this year and shitting the bed in April.

Unless a shock trade happens in the next two ish weeks I'd say the odds of the extension option get skyrocketed to like 80-90%

It's the easiest and most risk averse move of a management group that's already extended 2/4 core forward guys could take.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Do you honestly not think every GM in the league is aware that there is a real possibility that the Leafs are willing to move Marner ?

There is no "shopping around" required, if they are interested they'll be calling.
I wonder how much of the leg work here gets done by the agents behind the scenes.

Nothing on paper, no emails, just talking and exploring options until something real appears

Reactions: egd27

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1718665051245.png

msg me when there is a 4th answer: TRADE NOW.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

1718665101173.png

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I wonder how much of the leg work here gets done by the agents behind the scenes.

Nothing on paper, no emails, just talking and exploring options until something real appears
A ton, all you have to do is listen to Allan Walsh on agent provactour. Agents have a lot more power than people think. Agents also broker a ton of deals. He gives some examples of deals he helped broker when GM’s asked

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I'm not holding my breath on a trade. He'll play out the year most likely. When Marner once again pulls his usual playoff disappearing act and then comes looking for a raise, I won't feel bad about showing him the door. Sometimes you simply have to rip the bandage off. Let some other team get 7 years of his floating at a high price.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It is for me too. Not because I've lost interest in hockey, more that i'm left with the feeling the chances of this roster ever challenging for a cup appear to be minuscule. Even if we were in a rebuild at least you could feel they're building towards something and gain hope from that. Committing to carrying on down this road to nowhere is by far the least appealing option of all IMO.
If this team wants to become something different, you have to change the alpha mentality. Our identity is this core, or IMO, Marner. That’s not an identity I want. Losing Tavares at 11 million isn’t enough. Changing the country club is.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He's as dumb as rocks if he thinks returning to the Leafs is a good plan.

dumb. as. rocks.

He won't be returning btw.

Both he and the team will sacrifice to get something done.

How is it dumb? He will get 90 plus points and go to UFA and get paid at minimum 11 million dollars. There is zero downside to any option for Marner. In fact he is sitting pretty and he’s in the best position if anyone in this situation.

If Marner chooses to come back it’s because he likes playing here, not to spite anyone. He may want that final season in Toronto before picking a new home and he is entitled to that contractually. He can ignore the noise for one year.

If he’s open to moving on now he will decide the location. He will decide whether he’s a one year rental or if he will sign long term. He controls the entire situation. I don’t really see a bad option for him objectively speaking.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
How is it dumb? He will get 90 plus points and go to UFA and get paid at minimum 11 million dollars.
Leading the third line and PP2 ?

he won't.

Berube is going to teach him dump and chase ?

He'll be a total shit show under the stress of playing out a year in Toronto while not being wanted.

The dude is NOT good under stress.

He's more likely on stress leave than 90 plus points.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It sounds like Berube wants to play dump and chase. That doesn't happen by bringing this core back. I mean either they're feeding us a huge line of poopy or changes are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad