Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
q

probably shot a half million pucks from the age of 4 to today. Shooting 10 thousand more over a summer at age 27 isn’t going to do squat, other than maintaining what you have.
So the great improvements that McDavid has made on his shot since coming into the league is just some grand optical illusion? Precisely like Marner, he has shot "half a million pucks" from age 4 to today, so what did shooting more on the offseasons do for him?

The hockey knowledge on display from you lately just hasn't been very impressive, no offense.

Reactions: Nineteen67

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So the great improvements that McDavid has made on his shot since coming into the league is just some grand optical illusion? Precisely like Marner, he has shot "half a million pucks" from age 4 to today, so what did shooting more on the offseasons do for him?

The hockey knowledge on display from you lately just hasn't been very impressive, no offense.

Must not have shot those pucks last summer... his scoring dropped a ton

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Must not have shot those pucks last summer... his scoring dropped a ton
This logic is just so intellectually inferior I don't even know how to respond to it. What are you arguing with this statement, that McDavid didn't make great improvements on his shooting?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm afraid to get in on this but we know he isn't a shooter. Can you show that same metric for the regular season when we know he is more effective.
I feel like you could actually be representing his drop off if that stat comparison shows it.
Also, that is career playoff right?
Also also, not sure about your conclusion that he is therefore more dangerous than only Dewar but I'm curious if its a good indication that he's definitively less effective come playoff time.

He showed you scoring chances too. We know he isn't a shooter? I thought it makes you hater to say that :DD

He is not producing chances and even his fans know he can't shoot. What are talking about here?

Edit: No shooter, second assist collector (from far far away )

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t agree with Marner’s actual shot being the problem, it’s his usage of it

You don’t score 30+ goals and pace for it over the past 4 regular seasons with a crap shot. Is it as good as Matthews or even nylanders? NO but that doesn’t mean it’s crap

Marner stops shooting from the slot in the playoffs, I’m too lazy to go looking to the stats like some do, but just from pure memory I remember he was in the slot and tried passing it to jarnkrok who couldn’t even get a shot off. Marner had 12 shots this series, 2-3 were off Pk dump ins from behind the blue line, another 2-3 probably his patented crap blue line shot, so he only took 6-8 actual shots in the series. Nylander had 18 shots in 4 games for comparison. He needs to SHOOOOT, he can beat goalies, but he continues to pass it off to others when he should be shooting

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You don’t score 30+ goals and pace for it over the past 4 regular seasons with a crap shot. Is it as good as Matthews or even nylanders? NO but that doesn’t mean it’s crap

Marner stops shooting from the slot in the playoffs, I’m too lazy to go looking to the stats like some do, but just from pure memory I remember he was in the slot and tried passing it to jarnkrok who couldn’t even get a shot off. Marner had 12 shots this series, 2-3 were off Pk dump ins from behind the blue line, another 2-3 probably his patented crap blue line shot, so he only took 6-8 actual shots in the series. Nylander had 18 shots in 4 games for comparison. He needs to SHOOOOT, he can beat goalies, but he continues to pass it off to others when he should be shooting
Good post. He's always been a pass first player and it has started to hinder his game.
It's rare to read a criticism of the player(which is fine) without all the added stupidity thrown in. :thumbu:

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm afraid to get in on this but we know he isn't a shooter. Can you show that same metric for the regular season when we know he is more effective.
I feel like you could actually be representing his drop off if that stat comparison shows it.
Also, that is career playoff right?
Also also, not sure about your conclusion that he is therefore more dangerous than only Dewar but I'm curious if its a good indication that he's definitively less effective come playoff time.
Pretty sure Domi is as much of a shooter as Marner, didnt stop him from ranking highly in shots/60 and ihdc.

Reactions: Frostitute

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
posts in Mitch Marner thread/day (yearly total/365):
Antropovsky: 26.75
Jeez my stats really piss off the Marner fans...obviously Im doing something right because instead of refuting my posts with stats and research they attack me.

Me: look at these Marner NHL edge stats!
Marner fans: lol... do you even lift? My body is amazing.

Me: look at the Marner advanced stats from Natural Stat Trick
Marner fans: lol... Antropovsky posts/day in Marner thread.

Me: look at these line stats from Stat Muse
Marner fans: Lol.. do you even play hockey? I used to play at a high level.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yes, as I mentioned he had some talks with the Leafs ( that is what I am saying) I was asking about a statement he put out? Saying he turned down a contract from the Leafs. Which of course there isn't one.
I think you're right that there may have been no formal contract offer from the Leafs, but I'm not sure how many of those there actually are on July 1. My guess is that it's largely an informal process where they sort of bounce numbers back and forth and the only thing that actually gets signed is an agreement to sign a contract. To me, and I could be wrong, it sounds like they did talk some numbers and at leat had an idea what the Leafs could do.

From the article on TSN.ca:

“There were conversations [with the Maple Leafs],” admitted Montour. “When I looked at the roster and myself, I thought I could definitely help and it was intriguing. But there’s a lot that goes into [free agency] with my family and what they need as well as business decisions.

“There were definitely talks and we thought about it, but there were tons of options for us and we’re obviously grateful for Seattle and that experience.”

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Jeez my stats really piss off the Marner fans...obviously Im doing something right because instead of refuting my posts with stats and research they attack me.

Me: look at these Marner NHL edge stats!
Marner fans: lol... do you even lift? My body is amazing.

Me: look at the Marner advanced stats from Natural Stat Trick
Marner fans: lol... Antropovsky posts/day in Marner thread.

Me: look at these line stats from Stat Muse
Marner fans: Lol.. do you even play hockey? I used to play at a high level.
Yeah, this one is ridiculous. Some fans laugh at opinions from players like Carlo Co, Versteeg, Lawton, and O'Dog and some won't take you seriously if you have not played the game. I guess, whatever fits your narrative. LOL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Here are some fantastic playoff stats:

5v5 shots on g/60:
#1) Nylander 14.75
#2) Matthews 13.15
#4) Domi 10.22
#8) Tavares 6.67
#13 (of 19) Marner 4.81

Individual high danger scoring chances:

1) Domi: 5.41
2) Nylander: 5.2
3) Matthews: 4.11
4) Bertuzzi: 4.0
4) Knies: 3.81
5) Robertson: 3.65
7) Reeves: 3.05
8) Tavares: 3 0
9) Holmberg: 2.64
10) Jarnkrok: 1.71
11) Kampf: 1.54
12) Marner: 1.2
13) Dewar: 0.99

... yup, 11 million Marner less dangerous than Kampf and barely more dangerous than Dewar. Not bad pay for a 4th liner impact. @Hellcat looks like Marner is comparable to Matthews and Nylander.

How can someone ask for 11m+ with stats like that. I knew it was bad but wow. Thats awful

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

He also passed up a grade A chance in the slot to pass to Edmunson!! That was crazy, he could have just drove the net there and probably scored

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If it is all his fault he should resign.

Most character people who cause failure do the honourable thing and resign.

Now if you own the company just spend more.

I'm feeling comfortable with my "no and will be re-signed" vote.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

5v5 shots on g/60:
#1) Nylander 14.75
#2) Matthews 13.15
#4) Domi 10.22
#8) Tavares 6.67
#13 (of 19) Marner 4.81

... yup, 11 million Marner less dangerous than Kampf and barely more dangerous than Dewar. Not bad pay for a 4th liner impact. @Hellcat looks like Marner is comparable to Matthews and Nylander.
I've said it before and I'll say it again ....

If the Leafs used Marner during the regular season to play run and gun last goal wins to secure a playoff spot, and then put him in the pressbox for the playoffs, and use players willing to play in traffic and finish hits and play dump and chase to win physical puck battles they would be better off and what would they have to lose?

Marner's 1 goal and 2 assists in 7 games?

Marner needs a warning lable .. ** Regular Season Use Only *** Use at your own risk come playoff time.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

That sounds a lot like poor decision making or just poor situational awareness or as some would call it poor hockey IQ

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

5v5 shots on g/60:
#1) Nylander 14.75
#2) Matthews 13.15
#4) Domi 10.22
#8) Tavares 6.67
#13 (of 19) Marner 4.81

And Connor McDavid...

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I paid 6.99 for asparagus, I was told to come here to complain...
Well I'm here to complain about the people who want to complain about 6.99 for asparagus. Jeez you people, how do you even have time to complain about asparagus when the rent is so high? Unbelievable that you get yourself all bent out of shape about some dubas vegetable when you should be mad at the LANDLORDS. Some of us have our eyes on the real problems.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It’s hard to shoot from the slot when you cling to the perimeter of the ice like you’re at your first swimming lesson holding on for dear life. So it all goes back to playing with fear.

For a guy who chose a contact sport as his profession he really does play with a lot of self preservation instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad