Proposal: Mitch Marner for Shea Theodore

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
He's really good that's about it. Drives play in the playoffs, elevates when it matters most. You should try watching some time.
I watch plenty. I get the arrogance though, you’re young and you think you know your stuff.

Theodore is good. I’ll give him that. That’s about it though, and he doesn’t really move the needle with Toronto (as I was saying earlier).

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Watch a hockey game.
OK Boss, but its time for Toronto to dump another solid player to my Blues.
Really should think Toronto for the deals they have made with the Blues in the past 10-15 years
Steen, Gunner were both vital in the cup run
Ville Husso was selected with the 4th round pick Toronto gave the Blues in the Polak/Gunner deal
Otto Stenburg looks like he is going to be a solid player, selected with the 23 1st round pick from the ROR Deal
Pekarcik just signed his deal and should be in the AHL, another draft pick from the ROR Deal

I love watching Toronto get tied of their players........

Ledge And Dairy

Okay but if Theodore would to join the Leafs, he's instantly their #1dman. Thedore would be a #1D on about 8 or 9 teams right now. Can't say the same for Hanifin. Hanifin is solid defensively but I think he's a bit overrated. This is coming from someone who has watched him in Calgary the last 5 seasons. He's far from elite defensively and theodore's defensive game isn't as bad as many say. He was very good for them in their cup year.

The offensive gap between Theodore and Hanifin is much larger than their defensive gap.
Again because they play different roles. If Hanifin were to join the Leafs he would easily lead their team in TOI because he would be a part of both special teams and be at worst 2nd in EV TOI.

You are a Calgary fan, and so am I. The difference is you have always been a Hanifin hater. But you are completely wrong here. Yes Theodore is better offensively than Hanifin, but no the difference in their offensive abilities is not larger than the difference in their defensive abilities. Hanifin is vastly superior defensively.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This works for Vegas in the sense that they are prepared to move Theodore, but it doesn't work for Vegas because they're capped out and Marner is so ungodly expensive. Even though Theodore carries a $5M cap hit, they would go in the hole a full $6M by taking on Marner. They're not the right fit if you're trying to find a team that can make adding an $11M player somehow work.

To be clear, they like adding shiny players like Marner. They just can't do it any longer. They've picked up one too many stars and then paid them. They're rapidly approaching the point at which this is the team and the constant addition no longer makes sense if you're then going to sign them forever. It's a very good team, but its flexibility isn't what it used to be, in Vegas.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Toronto wouldn’t retain on Marner for Theodore…
Vegas would add cap. Someone like Karlsson or Barbashev.
So you think it's incumbent on the other teams to add quality players to balance out Toronto's bad contract on Marner? IMO, 3 years of Karlsson @ $5.9 and 4 years of Barbashev @ $5M both are worth more than Marner with 1 year @ $10.6M and expecting a raise going into next year.

IMO - it's in Marner's best interest to accept a trade to a team that is willing to sign for because he's then eligible for the 8th year on a contract, and that's a big deal when that's he's 36 YO.

This works for Vegas in the sense that they are prepared to move Theodore, but it doesn't work for Vegas because they're capped out and Marner is so ungodly expensive. Even though Theodore carries a $5M cap hit, they would go in the hole a full $6M by taking on Marner. They're not the right fit if you're trying to find a team that can make adding an $11M player somehow work.

To be clear, they like adding shiny players like Marner. They just can't do it any longer. They've picked up one too many stars and then paid them. They're rapidly approaching the point at which this is the team and the constant addition no longer makes sense if you're then going to sign them forever. It's a very good team, but its flexibility isn't what it used to be, in Vegas.
Agree 100%. One potential solution would be for VGS to have another team retain 50% on Marner, and the cost from an asset perspective it might be less because a team is only retain $450K of actual $'s.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So your saying Marner is going to leave Toronto but Marner also says no because he doesn’t want to leave Toronto?
I am saying Toronto will do the deal if they they can.
But Marner won’t, because he’s gonna leave.
It’s pretty obvious he’s going to leave, he’s not gonna sign in Toronto unless they pay him just an astronomical amount of money

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Aren't the Leafs top 2 dman Rielly and Tanev?

Ya'll could definitely use a guy like Theodore. Way more than you could use Marner.

With the exception of the 2017 Pens who lost Letang for the playoffs, mediocre defences just do not win cups.
Don’t dare tell leafs fans to change anything. It’s clearly working and totally reasonable to keep doubling down.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Dang! I wanted to make a somewhat informed post, but CapFriendly is actually gone now eh?

I don't need it.

I am a massive Leafs fan. Marner has a NMC/NTC and one year left right?

He's going to want a raise, which is f***ed up but he'll get it.

Good god can that please not happen.............

Let him walk and we not only get cap space, we change the style of play which we NEED to try.

Do other teams fans even want Marner at what he's probably going to command in UFA?

I don't care if he's really good, to me he is a problem on the team and the team needs to change their style. Marner gone is a big step. Tavares is off the books too. I'd take him back on the very cheap.

I want nothing to do with Marner anymore and well, if we could get something for him that would be ideal. But I wouldn't want to trade for a bad contract.

edit: forgot about the most annoying thing about these trade ideas with Marner. HE'S GOING TO PROBABLY SAY NO. Dude is going UFA or getting a crazy contract from the Leafs and I will throw up.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Don’t dare tell leafs fans to change anything. It’s clearly working and totally reasonable to keep doubling down.

That's probably what will happen. Just like Leafshater's (plural there are just as many of you as Leafs fans which is weird) think all Leafs fans think everything is just great..........which couldn't be further from the truth.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
That's probably what will happen. Just like Leafshater's (plural there are just as many of you as Leafs fans which is weird) think all Leafs fans think everything is just great..........which couldn't be further from the truth.
Hopefully. This team needs to be forced to pick Nylander vs Marner and since they already signed Nylander to that deal, Marner has to go. They cannot make it work with both and it would be absolutely crazy to keep doubling down further on this group.

I’m not so sure Berube will work good with this core either. He employed a very dump and chase, grind style with the blues who were built for it. This leafs team is not. We will see. I would like to see the front office nut up and do what’s needed and have some success for once. I don’t think they will though. It’s too easy to sell out an arena and keep doing the same thing. I don’t think they care all that much about winning and are scared of the criticism that will come should they move Marner.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Don't really see him waiving his no-move clause. I do expect there'd be some interest if he were willing to do so, but I'd predict he stays and walks away at the end of the year in free agency. Not the preferred outcome, but perhaps the inevitable one.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Thought Roy was gone already, but Marner not in our cards.
You're probably thinking of the Kings' Roy, he UFAd off to the Capitals.

It's going to be interesting/amusing to see what Marner will actually return 'if' he gets traded. It's not going to be much as every GM knows that he has Toronto over a barrel, 'and' he's going to want a long term very expensive contract no matter where he is, something that no currently competing team really has room for.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Don't really see him waiving his no-move clause. I do expect there'd be some interest if he were willing to do so, but I'd predict he stays and walks away at the end of the year in free agency. Not the preferred outcome, but perhaps the inevitable one.

This Leaf fan would prefer see him walk than have to be tied to a 12m contract for 8 years.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
This Leaf fan would prefer see him walk than have to be tied to a 12m contract for 8 years.

They shouldn't feel compelled to give him a big contract, I agree. The preferred outcome I referenced is a trade, but I don't think that's particularly likely to happen.

Reactions: Petrus

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Points Per Game Playoffs
Marner .88 +10
Mathews .87 +2
M. Tkachuk .86 +1
Nylander .80 +1
Stamkos .79 -11

Man Marner sucks in the playoffs..........

Yes, he produces ok offense in the playoffs, but his overall effectiveness is what's relevant.

The guy doesn't adapt to tight playoff hockey, where every inches of ice has to be gained through ⚒️.

He continue to avoid the painful areas of the ice, where you win playoffs games.

He continues to play his cute, perimeter kind of hockey...

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
No he isn't, they are different style players. Hanifin is a 2-way, fast skating, puck moving defenseman. Theodore is an offensive defenseman with serviceable defensive game. Theodore is a lot more similar to someone like Andersson or Montour than he is to Hanifin
While I agree that calling Theodore a better all round defenseman is a bad take, saying Theodore is similar to Andersson makes me wonder if you even watch Andersson.

If I had to pick who was better defensively for the Flames when they played together, I would definitely pick Andersson over Hanifin.

Ledge And Dairy

While I agree that calling Theodore a better all round defenseman is a bad take, saying Theodore is similar to Andersson makes me wonder if you even watch Andersson.

If I had to pick who was better defensively for the Flames when they played together, I would definitely pick Andersson over Hanifin.
Huh? Have you ever watched Andersson? His defensive game is by far his biggest weakness on the ice. Hanifin is vastly better in that regard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad