Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Mitch is playing amazing right now. His shot is lethal too.

London plays today so maybe he'll get 3 hat-tricks in a row?

Given the team they're playing it's definitely possible :laugh: my hometown Storm of 2015-16 just may be the worst CHL team of the past decade. Even if he doesn't get a third straight hat trick, he should be able to significantly pad his point total this afternoon; he has 10 points in 2 games against Guelph this year.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I obviously never saw Keon play but I have a hard time believing comparison's of today's players to players from the 50's and 60's. The players today are so much more skilled then players of yester-generation. No offence to players in the 40's, 50's but scoring goals wasn't that hard. Stand up goalies, with small equipment with the same net size we have now, imagine a kid like Marner playing in those days haha it would be laughable.

Imagine Sidney Crosby, or Toews, or Malkin in those days...they'd probably hit 150 points on a yearly basis.

Go with your first six words. They're the ones that matter.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Go with your first six words. They're the ones that matter.

alright but my general point was, you can't really compare today's players to players from the 50's. Every aspect of the sport/game is way better, the players are better, the talent is better, the players are bigger and stronger. Even a 2nd line player in today's game would probably light up most goalies in those days. A guy like Malkin or Kane would dance around most D-man and put on a snipe show on any goalie in those days.

It's like comparing a Carey Price to Johnny Bower or Sawchuk. You can't do it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yep! I can remember Keon as a rookie and how exciting it was to watch a young player of his evident promise. There is no guarantee Marner will turn out to be like him, and, indeed, I would say that Marner is less promising defensively and more promising offensively than Keon. Though it is hard to say how much Keon's offense was restrained playing under an uber disciplined, defensive coach like Punch Imlach. But Keon did have a deadly backhand. The real comparison for me, however, is that Marner regularly makes me say, "Wow!" just as Keon did.

I think I may be the oldest poster on this board. I've been watching the Leafs a long time, have seen a lot of prospects disappoint, or only flourish after leaving the Leafs and am usually cautious about the development of young players. But Marner and Nylander are exciting in a way I haven't felt in a long time. The last time I felt this optimistic about a pair of Leaf prospects was when Sittler and McDonald were coming along.

I don't think your the oldest Poster, think I am and I too remember Keon very well, at the time my favorite player and I agree with your comparison of Marner and Keon.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

1431686185_yicai7_6fad4.gif

In all seriousness though he has looked amazing so far.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Man Im excited for Marner + Nylander to hit the NHL together. These are two guys who should be very legitimate threats for the Calder.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Man Im excited for Marner + Nylander to hit the NHL together. These are two guys who should be very legitimate threats for the Calder.

I'm just hoping McDavid plays enough games this year to take himself out of contention :laugh:

It should be between Marner, Strome, Nylander, Matthews and Chychrun next year. Add Buchnevich if he comes over.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
He's the best player in the CHL right now. He does some things that aren't transferable to the NHL, but that's just a factor of the skill gap between him and most of the competition in the OHL. Obviously he has a slim build, but if he can get to 175 or 180 he will be just fine.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm just hoping McDavid plays enough games this year to take himself out of contention :laugh:

It should be between Marner, Strome, Nylander, Matthews and Chychrun next year. Add Buchnevich if he comes over.

Buchnevich is having a great start, but the KHL game is quite different. I'd have Rantanen as my dark horse Calder candidate over him.

I wouldn't expect a ton out of Matthews or Chychrun either. Most likely, they have years like Eichel/Hanifin this year. Even playing in the NHL immediately post-draft is a huge accomplishment.

Odds are that some of the top candidates are guys we never see coming. A year ago, Larkin was looking good but only homers thinking he'd be a Calder candidate. A year before that, Forsberg was in the same situation.

Of course, the Calder next year belongs to McDavid if he's eligible.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I obviously never saw Keon play but I have a hard time believing comparison's of today's players to players from the 50's and 60's. The players today are so much more skilled then players of yester-generation. No offence to players in the 40's, 50's but scoring goals wasn't that hard. Stand up goalies, with small equipment with the same net size we have now, imagine a kid like Marner playing in those days haha it would be laughable.

Imagine Sidney Crosby, or Toews, or Malkin in those days...they'd probably hit 150 points on a yearly basis.

There were a lot of differences like in equipment and rules, equipment like no helmets and face masks for goalies, skates hockey sticks, you name it, all primitive compared to today's light weight curved sticks and protection, survival may have been a bigger problem for those you mentioned, with rules, there were few head shots because of no helmuts but that didn't stop a lot of banging and checking and injuries

Different era and those players like Crosby, Toews and Malkin using that equipment and facing those rules they may not have been the stars they are today.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
There were a lot of differences like in equipment and rules, equipment like no helmets and face masks for goalies, skates hockey sticks, you name it, all primitive compared to today's light weight curved sticks and protection, survival may have been a bigger problem for those you mentioned, with rules, there were few head shots because of no helmuts but that didn't stop a lot of banging and checking and injuries

Different era and those players like Crosby, Toews and Malkin using that equipment and facing those rules they may not have been the stars they are today.

Skates alone, i remember when the tuck blades [plastic holders] came in and they rockered the blades. all of a sudden everyone could skate better . New equipment is light as a feather, doesn't hold water or sweat. Carbon fiber sticks added 10mph to every shot ect ect.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Unless Marner has like a very and I mean very bad camp, he will be in the NHL

The camp barely matters at this point. He's not eligible to play in the AHL next year and he's clearly proven that he's too good for junior so the only place he could play is with the leafs. He should be learning from Babcock anyway and benefitting from the leafs trainers who can bulk him up a little more in a similar fashion to Nylander.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yep! I can remember Keon as a rookie and how exciting it was to watch a young player of his evident promise. There is no guarantee Marner will turn out to be like him, and, indeed, I would say that Marner is less promising defensively and more promising offensively than Keon. Though it is hard to say how much Keon's offense was restrained playing under an uber disciplined, defensive coach like Punch Imlach. But Keon did have a deadly backhand. The real comparison for me, however, is that Marner regularly makes me say, "Wow!" just as Keon did.

I think I may be the oldest poster on this board. I've been watching the Leafs a long time, have seen a lot of prospects disappoint, or only flourish after leaving the Leafs and am usually cautious about the development of young players. But Marner and Nylander are exciting in a way I haven't felt in a long time. The last time I felt this optimistic about a pair of Leaf prospects was when Sittler and McDonald were coming along.

I do remember Keon, not in his rookie year but in the late 60's with his still crew cut hair. My dad use to buy us the cheap Canadian tire Dave Keon straight sticks & sell it to us with the explanation that this is why Keon has such a deadly backhand.

Ditto with the optimism, I've been around this game for a long time & we really do have some special prospects.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Anyone know if theres a way to watch Guelph RogersTV if you're not in Guelph? It's showing me the Miss vs Barrie game right now lol

EDIT - to answer my own question, you can go to RogersTV website and sign in with MyRogers. They let you live stream it on the site :)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I'm old too..heh heh.

Game is faster, more skilled today. I loved Keon, his IQ was one of the best. Before you had advanced stats, guys like Keon spawned the need for them to understand their game. His angling off opposing forwards was something to behold. I do see that aspect in Marner Cup67...he thinks the game two steps ahead, that shorty last night was something like Keon would do, but without the through the legs move.

I find it hard to compare era's though, for the same reasons, equipment innovations and natural progression of skill have allowed the current era players to do some things never dreamed of in the 60's and 70's, even 80's.

I watch old games and it looks like they are skating in sand sometimes, but if they flew like they do today, they wouldn't last a week against the stiff boards, fixed goalposts etc. it was self preservation.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Anyone know if theres a way to watch Guelph RogersTV if you're not in Guelph? It's showing me the Miss vs Barrie game right now lol

EDIT - to answer my own question, you can go to RogersTV website and sign in with MyRogers. They let you live stream it on the site :)

God dammit I want my 7$ back

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Skates alone, i remember when the tuck blades [plastic holders] came in and they rockered the blades. all of a sudden everyone could skate better . New equipment is light as a feather, doesn't hold water or sweat. Carbon fiber sticks added 10mph to every shot ect ect.

Give the kids today my first pair of skates & they would think they were skating with bricks attached to their feet.

Heavy steel blade & holders & no support leather boot that absorbed moister like a sponge.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
If Keon were playing now, with todays skates, he would fly by anyone playing today's game. Those skates they played with, would prevent half the players in today's nhl from being able to stand up even. I went skating last year and my wife left my skates at home, so I was with all my family but had no skates. Some old guy lent me a pair of skates, circa the sixties.

I am a very good skater. I could NOT even stand up in them. It was like a pair of socks with blades, no discernible support at all.

Players back then had to have a much thicker ankle and foot than today's players.

You had to have ankles and feet like nobody's business.

I saw a clip of Keon that isn't on youtube any more, he had Pavel Bure speed back then. Yeah he wasn't massive offensively, but when he went for it, he usually scored. He just did everything else.

No dis to Marner, I think in him and Nylander we have two extremely elite prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad