Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
4/5 I’d think

Something tells me the Leenders trade won’t be for picks. I don’t think they are done. They will add the two OA’s but I still think Ivankovic could be a key piece in a big trade for an elite player.

I know, I know. Ivankovic etc etc etc. BUT. If they use a goalie in a bigger deal for an elite player, it is way more likely to be the 17 year old than the 18 year old. It is not like Leenders wouldn’t be a capable goalie for the Steelheads through the playoffs.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Something tells me the Leenders trade won’t be for picks. I don’t think they are done. They will add the two OA’s but I still think Ivankovic could be a key piece in a big trade for an elite player.

I know, I know. Ivankovic etc etc etc. BUT. If they use a goalie in a bigger deal for an elite player, it is way more likely to be the 17 year old than the 18 year old. It is not like Leenders wouldn’t be a capable goalie for the Steelheads through the playoffs.
I think, don’t know, that the trade is close to being done and will be pick based

Reactions: Roadhog

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think, don’t know, that the trade is close to being done and will be pick based

Interesting. If that is the case then they are making the move strictly to allow the goaltenders to enter the season as starters on their respective teams. They wouldn’t be holding back for a package.

That also means they are likely confident most of the deals this year will be pick based with not a lot of high value young players moving. Considering what we project the market to be this year, I think that may be accurate.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting. If that is the case then they are making the move strictly to allow the goaltenders to enter the season as starters on their respective teams. They wouldn’t be holding back for a package.

That also means they are likely confident most of the deals this year will be pick based with not a lot of high value young players moving. Considering what we project the market to be this year, I think that may be accurate.
i think both goalies want the change to happen. i also think that both are so valued that they are silly not to cash in right now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i think both goalies want the change to happen. i also think that both are so valued that they are silly not to cash in right now.

I agree with that. I get a kick out of the “keep both goalies” take on the subject. First, you cannot keep two bonafide starting goalies happy. Second, you can only play one at a time. It makes no sense keeping an asset on your bench 50% of the time. That would be like having both Rehkopf and Ritchie on your team but you only dress one per game. That is just a silly mismanagement of assets.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Didn't see the Rehkopf deal happening during the offseason. Was thinking we would see a deal for Leenders but here we are. You would think a shoe is going to drop soon regarding the goaltending, I can't see them opening the season with both.

Still expecting some news regarding their OA's as well, the rest of the offseason should be interesting to see what develops.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

There’s ZERO possibility that Ivankovic is traded this year. None whatsoever.

Firstly, he’s a better goalie than Leeders.
Secondly - - and most importantly - - going to be a 1st round pick in the 2025 NHL draft and along with Porter Martone going top 5, that means a huge cash windfall to a poverty stricken franchise.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There’s ZERO possibility that Ivankovic is traded this year. None whatsoever.

Firstly, he’s a better goalie than Leeders.
Secondly - - and most importantly - - going to be a 1st round pick in the 2025 NHL draft and along with Porter Martone going top 5, that means a huge cash windfall to a poverty stricken franchise.

Ivankovic being sub 6’2” probably needs to win gold as starter of Canada WJC and CHL goalie of the year to be considered 1st round by an NHL team.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Ivankovic being sub 6’2” probably needs to win gold as starter of Canada WJC and CHL goalie of the year to be considered 1st round by an NHL team.
I don’t know if that’s true.

Ravensbergen in the whl had a worse save percentage than Ivankovic did his rookie year but played about 10 more games than him and is rated a first round guy. Sure ravensbergen is 6’4 but he also only had a 0.907 sv% on a stacked cougars team.

If Ivankovic has a 0.920 for the season and plays 45 games I think it’s pretty realistic he can be a first round pick. I think that’s also achievable given he had a 0.915 this season in 25 games. I’ve seen some mocks placing him at the end of the first round right now before he even starts this season as a starter.

Jusse Saros is 5’10 and has been one of the best goalies in the NHL the past few seasons.

Dustin wolf one of the best goalie prospects is 6’ same as Ivankovic. Devon Levi is 5’11 I believe and is one of the best prospects too.

Shesterkin- arguably the best goalie in the NHL is only 6’1 so 1 inch bigger than Ivankovic.

Jonathan Quick also is only 6’1 and we have seen how good his career has been

Marc Andre fleury is 6’2. Again not a huge difference from 6’0 but a little bigger.

Dominik Hasek arguably the best goalie ever was 6’1

Chris Osgood 5’11

Ed Belfour 6’

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t know if that’s true.

Ravensbergen in the whl had a worse save percentage than Ivankovic did his rookie year but played about 10 more games than him and is rated a first round guy. Sure ravensbergen is 6’4 but he also only had a 0.907 sv% on a stacked cougars team.

If Ivankovic has a 0.920 for the season and plays 45 games I think it’s pretty realistic he can be a first round pick. I think that’s also achievable given he had a 0.915 this season in 25 games. I’ve seen some mocks placing him at the end of the first round right now before he even starts this season as a starter.

Jusse Saros is 5’10 and has been one of the best goalies in the NHL the past few seasons.

Dustin wolf one of the best goalie prospects is 6’ same as Ivankovic. Devon Levi is 5’11 I believe and is one of the best prospects too.

Shesterkin- arguably the best goalie in the NHL is only 6’1 so 1 inch bigger than Ivankovic.

Jonathan Quick also is only 6’1 and we have seen how good his career has been

Marc Andre fleury is 6’2. Again not a huge difference from 6’0 but a little bigger.

Dominik Hasek arguably the best goalie ever was 6’1

Chris Osgood 5’11

Ed Belfour 6’

I know Fluery 6’2” was a 1st pick, any of the others a 1st pick since size of goalie equipment has been restricted?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I know Fluery 6’2” was a 1st pick, any of the others a 1st pick since size of goalie equipment has been restricted?
Don’t believe so.

My point is he is already rated as a late first/early second right now and he hasn’t even had the starting role given to him yet for Brampton.

If he plays 45 games and gets that 0.920 I think it’s realistic a team takes him in the latter half of the first round without having to do like you say win CHL goalie of the year and start on team Canada and lead them to the gold.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

What I got out of these 4 articles is that he very clearly has the skill. Height may be a drawback sure but his dad is 6’5. He may grow another inch or two. Even if he didn’t though jusse Saros who would probably be his nhl comparable right now is doing just fine and he is smaller than Ivankovic by 2 inches.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Don’t believe so.

My point is he is already rated as a late first/early second right now and he hasn’t even had the starting role given to him yet for Brampton.

If he plays 45 games and gets that 0.920 I think it’s realistic a team takes him in the latter half of the first round without having to do like you say win CHL goalie of the year and start on team Canada and lead them to the gold.

Perhaps exaggerated the odds against a 1st round selection a little bit :)

Reactions: frontsfan67

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Oh Mr scout I thought there was only two teams. Barrie & Oshawa? Hahahahahahaha guessing again “scout”
Barlows camp requested Barrie or Oshawa.
This is widely known by people in the know. (you wouldn't understand)

Barrie would have a hard time affording him unless they unload PV and their picks.
Oshawa is in a wait and see position right now with some of their signed players.

Brampton now has picks again so it would only make sense for them to come in? -I'm just speculating as geographically it fits to the area he wants to be in. "have to wonder"
He has been training in Toronto all summer.

Not sure if you are new to JR hockey or if the popcorn guy has just stopped feeding you news so you are sour but things change day by day in JR hockey with every trade and every move thats made.

Would be more then happy to chat in person Sunday in Kingston if you are traveling with the team big guy.
I don't really understand why you feel the need to attack my credibility everytime i make a comment.
I'd be more then having to share my credentials with you in person to shut you up for a bit.

Last edited:

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Great trade for the Steelheads, just saw that they also traded for Jacob Gibbons from Erie so they've also solved for the backup role. Not confident he'll be good enough but he has relatively high upside.

I assumed they'd get a solid return but three 2nds (with two of them in 2025!) and three 3rds is much better than I expected. Essentially replenished their draft pick cupboard from the Rehkopf deal.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Great trade for the Steelheads, just saw that they also traded for Jacob Gibbons from Erie so they've also solved for the backup role. Not confident he'll be good enough but he has relatively high upside.

I assumed they'd get a solid return but three 2nds (with two of them in 2025!) and three 3rds is much better than I expected. Essentially replenished their draft pick cupboard from the Rehkopf deal.
Got rehkopf for free pretty much lol. James Richmond is damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad