Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Great trade for the Steelheads, just saw that they also traded for Jacob Gibbons from Erie so they've also solved for the backup role. Not confident he'll be good enough but he has relatively high upside.

I assumed they'd get a solid return but three 2nds (with two of them in 2025!) and three 3rds is much better than I expected. Essentially replenished their draft pick cupboard from the Rehkopf deal.

Sweeter then I thought, glad to see the crease sorted out, hopefully there isn't any need for a long term BUG situation but they couldn't have kept both IvanK and Leenders in any case. Trading with a competing conference rival isn't the best but there was only so many teams he would have been a fit for so you take the draft picks, essentially as pointed out, pretty much pays for Rehkopf.

Still 2 open OA spots, what an offseason so far.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Barlows camp requested Barrie or Oshawa.
This is widely known by people in the know. (you wouldn't understand)

Barrie would have a hard time affording him unless they unload PV and their picks.
Oshawa is in a wait and see position right now with some of their signed players.

Brampton now has picks again so it would only make sense for them to come in? -I'm just speculating as geographically it fits to the area he wants to be in. "have to wonder"
He has been training in Toronto all summer.

Not sure if you are new to JR hockey or if the popcorn guy has just stopped feeding you news so you are sour but things change day by day in JR hockey with every trade and every move thats made.

Would be more then happy to chat in person Sunday in Kingston if you are traveling with the team big guy.
I don't really understand why you feel the need to attack my credibility everytime i make a comment.
I'd be more then having to share my credentials with you in person to shut you up for a bit.
I just find it funny I mentioned Brampton weeks ago and you tried to say no & now come back with Brampton to funny

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I just find it funny I mentioned Brampton weeks ago and you tried to say no & now come back with Brampton to funny
You mentioned 6 teams and Barlows agent is saying they prefer 2 (Oshawa and Barrie ) just like I told you in the Ottawa thread when you insisted it was 6.
Things have changed in 2 weeks.
Barrie can barelly afford him.
Oshawa has to wait and see on 2 players on signed ELCs and Brampton just inherited a shit loading picks again.
It’s not that difficult to understand man.
I simply was saying there is a possibility Brampton could be in on him now. (I have no inside information if they actually are and it’s purely speculation)
I still wouldn’t be surprised if a couple weeks from now he’s in a Generals uniform.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
You mentioned 6 teams and Barlows agent is saying they prefer 2 (Oshawa and Barrie ) just like I told you in the Ottawa thread when you insisted it was 6.
Oshawa has to wait and see on 2 players on signed ELCs and Brampton just inherited a shit loading picks again.
I simply was saying there is a possibility Brampton could be in on him now. (I have no inside information if they actually are and it’s purely speculation)
I still wouldn’t be surprised if a couple weeks from now he’s in a Generals uniform.
I knew all the of this pal,

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Great trade for the Steelheads, just saw that they also traded for Jacob Gibbons from Erie so they've also solved for the backup role. Not confident he'll be good enough but he has relatively high upside.

I assumed they'd get a solid return but three 2nds (with two of them in 2025!) and three 3rds is much better than I expected. Essentially replenished their draft pick cupboard from the Rehkopf deal.

You are correct on Gibbons. At times he could stand on his head and be an extremely amazing netminder, unfortunately his time in Erie we often saw the inconsistency. Hoping a change of scenery for him will help him tremendously, kind of like Nolan LaLonde who moved on from Erie last season to play well above what he did here.

Best of luck to Gibbons, he's a very fine young man on and off the ice.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
The Battalion never got support, the excelsiors (lacrosse) don’t get support, the ECHL team didn’t get support and the steelheads didn’t get support in Missy. Wrong demographic for Jr Hockey.
Yes, I'm aware they were in Brampton previously. Perhaps the last kick at the can for junior in that area. I'm sure other city's would gladly take them over

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I’d be surprised if he were in a Generals uniform prior to Jan 1. I think the Generals desperately need a 2nd centre to play behind Ritchie. I think that guy is Wakely but who knows? Regardless, I don’t think they can acquire Barlow and a very strong OA Centre with spare parts and draft picks. I don’t think they have quite enough picks to make that happen. I think they’d need to use their ‘08. Same goes for Barrie to be honest.

At this point, I am not as sure Barlow will move early like I thought last week. The Gardiner deal sort of messed that plan up.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Yes, I'm aware they were in Brampton previously. Perhaps the last kick at the can for junior in that area. I'm sure other city's would gladly take them over
hypothetically if it doesn’t work out and Brantford goes back to Hamilton once the arena is all worked out- I wonder if Brantford could be a better spot for the steelheads.

A lot of ifs, ands or buts and it’s way too early to say for sure but also if Brampton wins a championship here in the first year- they may get a solid fan base. Next year they should be good too regardless.

Reactions: three dog night

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’d be surprised if he were in a Generals uniform prior to Jan 1. I think the Generals desperately need a 2nd centre to play behind Ritchie. I think that guy is Wakely but who knows?
The rumour is Wakely is about to be signed by an AHL team and will not be in the OHL this year

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The rumour is Wakely is about to be signed by an AHL team and will not be in the OHL this year
What about that Import kid, Sinivuori? Is he a centre? I know he is listed as a C/LW but not sure where he fits in for the Gens. Any projections?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What about that Import kid, Sinivuori? Is he a centre? I know he is listed as a C/LW but not sure where he fits in for the Gens. Any projections?

He’s a winger.

If and when Roobroeck returns he’ll be the #2 centre for Oshawa.

Reactions: OMG67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad