Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Is this a "go for it" year?? Do you swing big in the trade market??

Brampton are at the onset of a two year championship window. Richmond has assembled a solid 05 and 06 core, 8-2nd, 4-3rds, 5-4th, 4-5th and now 2- 2025 1st (for use next year) plus a goalie trade (Leenders or Ivankovic) to make this happen.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Brampton are at the onset of a two year championship window. Richmond has assembled a solid 05 and 06 core, 8-2nd, 4-3rds, 5-4th, 4-5th and now 2- 2025 1st (for use next year) plus a goalie trade (Leenders or Ivankovic) to make this happen.
Barrie, Brampton, and Brantford could all be considered to be on the onset of a two year window of oppurtunity. Oshawa is in year two. Winning the eastern conference back 2 back at this time is improbable even for Oshawa.
Seven of the eight teams with the most draft pick capital are in the east with five of those teams having a reasonable chance to contend with Oshawa this season.
The Brampton goalies are 17 & 18, and five defensemen are 17-18. Parts of that will need sacrificing to truly contend this season. That would make contending next season tougher.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Had a feeling they’d get porter there. Very surprised ryerson wasn’t invited. Thought he could be battling George for the starting job.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Out of your goalies, who would you trade then? Would you prefer Leenders or Ivankovic?

Also, why would you trade one? It’s great to have two starting goalies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Out of your goalies, who would you trade then? Would you prefer Leenders or Ivankovic?

I’m not a steelheads fan but from what I’ve seen- Leenders could be better right now. But Ivankovic will be a way better goalie in the future. Makes sense to trade leenders and he isn’t any slouch- without a doubt one of the 5 best goalies in the league and still 2 seasons to play. They should get a kings ransom for him and use that for some other area on their team.

Reactions: Roadhog

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I’m not a steelheads fan but from what I’ve seen- Leenders could be better right now. But Ivankovic will be a way better goalie in the future. Makes sense to trade leenders and he isn’t any slouch- without a doubt one of the 5 best goalies in the league and still 2 seasons to play. They should get a kings ransom for him and use that for some other area on their team.
There is absolutely no reason to trade either goalie away. The Steelheads have enough draft capital to bring in assets and if you’re a smart GM, you don’t trade a Top 5 goalie unless you’re rebuilding or they request a trade.

You guys would hate it if Ivankovic went down and you already traded Leenders.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
There is absolutely no reason to trade either goalie away. The Steelheads have enough draft capital to bring in assets and if you’re a smart GM, you don’t trade a Top 5 goalie unless you’re rebuilding or they request a trade.

You guys would hate it if Ivankovic went down and you already traded Leenders.
Oh trust me I completely agree.

If I was Bramtons gm I’d keep them both 100% and form a tandem like Everett’s when they had Dustin wolf and Carter hart.

I misinterpreted what you said. Most people on here for some reason think they should trade one of the goalies for extra capital.

Was playing into what I interpreted was your thought of trading him and explaining that they’d get a kings ransom for him if they went through with it.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018

Rostering two elite goalies, required to split games, would be a quite a luxury and safeguard, however, the player agents of both goalies will not allow that from a developmental perspective (one NHL drafted the other in his draft year). One will be traded or request a trade. In a premier developmental league, ultimately, it’s not a situation whereby, what’s in the best interest of the team, but rather what is best for the player.

The massive return will soften the blow of losing one of them. Personally, I would keep Ivankovic, the best 07 goalie in hockey.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Yeah no way Ivankovic is going to split starts this season when he might be a top 60 pick. He'll either start for Brampton or someone else.

If Erie doesn't get their import goalie to come over, I could see them as a good spot for Leenders.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yeah no way Ivankovic is going to split starts this season when he might be a top 60 pick. He'll either start for Brampton or someone else.

If Erie doesn't get their import goalie to come over, I could see them as a good spot for Leenders.
there are so many teams that need goalies right now it would be a bidding war.

Reactions: Roadhog and tjziel

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
there are so many teams that need goalies right now it would be a bidding war.
Yeah. Everyone could use a Leenders in net. Was just trying to take an educated guess on where he could realistically go. Probably want to send him out of conference and none of the potential bottom teams are going to spend assets on him. Guelph could be good too.

cruickshankd

Jun 3, 2024
Yeah. Everyone could use a Leenders in net. Was just trying to take an educated guess on where he could realistically go. Probably want to send him out of conference and none of the potential bottom teams are going to spend assets on him. Guelph could be good too.
I know one team that is set in net for the next few years....

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Guelph is set, Sarnia needs him bad but not sure they have enough

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Rostering two elite goalies, required to split games, would be a quite a luxury and safeguard, however, the player agents of both goalies will not allow that from a developmental perspective (one NHL drafted the other in his draft year). One will be traded or request a trade. In a premier developmental league, ultimately, it’s not a situation whereby, what’s in the best interest of the team, but rather what is best for the player.

The massive return will soften the blow of losing one of them. Personally, I would keep Ivankovic, the best 07 goalie in hockey.

Good description of the of the goalie situation this upcoming season. I see them dealing one to and finding a BUG, not splitting the starts between the two. Ivank started the playoffs as a starter and I think they keep their former first round pick and trade Leenders for a sum as an NHL drafted goalie. They'll find a BUG and hope for the best.

I'd keep Ivank IMHO

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Guelph is set, Sarnia needs him bad but not sure they have enough
Issue for Sarnia would be age. Ivankovic absolutely makes sense. As you said though, he'd cost a crazy amount. Not sure they'd spend that.

Leenders would if he's back as an OA & he could, but idk if they'd be willing to take the risk.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Issue for Sarnia would be age. Ivankovic absolutely makes sense. As you said though, he'd cost a crazy amount. Not sure they'd spend that.

Leenders would if he's back as an OA & he could, but idk if they'd be willing to take the risk.
not sure if they would either. It would take Fischer I’d think

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
If that's just picks that very well could take out well over half of Brampton's premium draft pick stash - I would guess at least 6-7 2s or 3s

Reactions: LDN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad