Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Enjoyed the Dev camp yesterday, as a non Steelhead fan, interesting to see how other teams run their camp.

No surprise that your 2nd rounder, Patton, looks like a player.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Enjoyed the Dev camp yesterday, as a non Steelhead fan, interesting to see how other teams run their camp.

Curious, did any of their flyers report??

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Honestly, I was there for 1 kid. And it was hard to follow others because their socials didn't put out scrimmage rosters.

Valentine was not there, but I think that was widely known.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018

Glad to hear about Patton, happy they already have him signed. Wonder if we'll see any other signings following their development camp

Reactions: Tarantula

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The challenge flyers have is that if they show up it could mess with their eligibility. NCAA has a 24 hour rule that is still in play unless the player pays for everything from hotel to travel to equipment

Anyone is thinking about other leagues is not going to show up at a dive camp. Some if not going USHL may show up at trg camp for the first day.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The challenge flyers have is that if they show up it could mess with their eligibility. NCAA has a 24 hour rule that is still in play unless the player pays for everything from hotel to travel to equipment

Anyone is thinking about other leagues is not going to show up at a dive camp. Some if not going USHL may show up at trg camp for the first day.
it’s a 48 hour rule and only applies if the team is paying for lodging, etc. If the player pays for that, he can stay fit 3 months

Reactions: Roadhog

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
it’s a 48 hour rule and only applies if the team is paying for lodging, etc. If the player pays for that, he can stay fit 3 months
Thanks for the clarification but Ithink if he is gong to the USHL then they will want him strictly there.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Is this a "go for it" year?? Do you swing big in the trade market??
Probably depends where they are come deadline time.

They should lead their division even if they don’t load up too heavily- I can’t see Niagara(too young and d sucks), Sudbury(goalies suck and losing too many impact players), barrie (unless they get both imports- hemming and brands-nygard), or north bay(rebuilding probably) being better than the steelheads.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

They should lead their division even if they don’t load up too heavily- I can’t see Niagara(too young and d sucks), Sudbury(goalies suck and losing too many impact players), barrie (unless they get both imports- hemming and brands-nygard), or north bay(rebuilding probably) being better than the steelheads.
The deadline is far away, let’s first see what teams have at the end of September.

Right now, Barrie is every bit as good as Brampton imo. The expected top six and top pair of Sudbury would still be more than Brampton can handle at this time. Goal tending is over blown imo. Lalonde and McIvor were pretty close to an OHL final. If you don’t believe Oster’s stats are in large part due to excellent team defence, you must believe he will likely be in the AHL this season.
Niagara could have a healthy Wycisk, has added Virgilio, and could have a monster import; their D might not ‘suck’.

Brantford, Kingston, and Oshawa probably all feel like they can contend as well.

Last edited:

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023

Agreed - they should be in a great position to go for it but losing Valentini as a trade chip will hurt their chances in the deadline bidding wars for sure.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Agreed - they should be in a great position to go for it but losing Valentini as a trade chip will hurt their chances in the deadline bidding wars for sure.
I agree. Same with Kingston. I assume they take the comp pick and send him somewhere like London or Kitchener. And if they get him to commit there look out you’re getting a boatload of picks

Reactions: dirty12

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
I agree. Same with Kingston. I assume they take the comp pick and send him somewhere like London or Kitchener. And if they get him to commit there look out you’re getting a boatload of picks
For sure the comp picks will be good and the 09 is a better class IMO … but in an all-in year it seems to be the norm now to trade your most recent first rounder and not having one to move will hurt when prices get high at the deadline which is tough for Brampton who could totally make a run.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
For sure the comp picks will be good and the 09 is a better class IMO … but in an all-in year it seems to be the norm now to trade your most recent first rounder and not having one to move will hurt when prices get high at the deadline which is tough for Brampton who could totally make a run.
I don’t know much about the 09 class but I do know that a crap ton of players in the 08 class at the top isn’t going the OHL route. Hopefully it doesn’t turn out that way again next year.

Reactions: Section5Petes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad