Missed the preseason, what's the deal with Stolarz?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I'm a little behind with the season starting, don't know anything about the guy really, but in the glimpses of the games I've seen he looks solid.

Don't know enough about goaltending to properly judge, but he seems calmer / less scrambly than what we've seen with Sammy/Campbell over the past few years.

Small sample of course, curious what people here see his potential/ceiling as and how he's likely to fit? Could Stolarz/Woll be a 1A/1B shared workload situation? Or is Woll the clear #1 at this point?

I assume Murray is just a straight backup? Nobody really expects him to compete for a #1 or 1B position?

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm a little behind with the season starting, don't know anything about the guy really, but in the glimpses of the games I've seen he looks solid.

Don't know enough about goaltending to properly judge, but he seems calmer / less scrambly than what we've seen with Sammy/Campbell over the past few years.

Small sample of course, curious what people here see his potential/ceiling as and how he's likely to fit? Could Stolarz/Woll be a 1A/1B shared workload situation? Or is Woll the clear #1 at this point?

I assume Murray is just a straight backup? Nobody really expects him to compete for a #1 or 1B position?

At this point in time.... Matt Murray is probably "#4" on the depth charts (even though the Leafs would never say that out of fear of putting too much on Hildeby), just by virtue of the fact that Hildeby can bounce between without fear of waivers, and if Murray spends too much time on the roster, will have to clear waivers again (problem the Leafs ran into with Martin Jones last year).

Reactions: Goose

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If his recent good health isn't an illusion, he's as good as anyone out there. Had better numbers than Bob last year on the cup champs and is a .918% goalie the in his 80+ starts the last few years playing most of them on a bad Ducks team.

Hope he keeps it rolling.

Reactions: Sypher04 and Goose

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Stolarz has the best name on the internetz.

I'll do a translation of your thread title.
1000009566.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Always liked him since his backup days with Anaheim. Shone bright as Gibson’s backup every time he came in relief. Glad he’s getting a shot at a number one role and it’s with us. I think he has unique upside.

Reactions: Sypher04 and Goose

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
At this point in time.... Matt Murray is probably "#4" on the depth charts (even though the Leafs would never say that out of fear of putting too much on Hildeby), just by virtue of the fact that Hildeby can bounce between without fear of waivers, and if Murray spends too much time on the roster, will have to clear waivers again (problem the Leafs ran into with Martin Jones last year).

What’s the deal with Hildeby? Quickly looked at his career stats and nothing jumps out as unique except his height, are Leafs hoping he turns into a 1B/solid backup guy, or does he have starter upside?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
He's played well, but I've noticed he gives up a LOT of rebounds. To be continued
The rebounds he let out were controlled though, directed to the corners, had a nice one off his stick right to the defender for a quality breakout pass.

Letting out rebounds needs context. Is it a good rebound or a bad rebound. From what i saw last night, really really good rebound control.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What’s the deal with Hildeby? Quickly looked at his career stats and nothing jumps out as unique except his height, are Leafs hoping he turns into a 1B/solid backup guy, or does he have starter upside?
I Never understood how a goalie is slotted as a starter or backup. If you play the best you’re the starter that just seems logical.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Dubas would have preferred Murray and Samsonov over Homs, so you just know he’s good. 👍🏻

Unlike Samsonov, Stolarz reserves his swimming for the swimming pool, and unlike Murray, Stolarz can take a piss without pulling his groin.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

The "highest touted" goalies currently in the AHL are Jesper Wallstedt (Minnesota) and Jaroslav Askarov (San Jose).

Hildeby does not have the draft stature/hype of either goalie, but last year was his first year in North America, and he put up a 2.41 / .913 in 41 games for the Marlies.

Wallstedt, in his first North American season, put up a 2.68 / .908 in 38 games with Iowa. Askarov put up a 2.69 / .911 in his first North American Season with Milwaukee.

Now, both are and were younger than Hildeby, but I'm a big believer in "goalies are voodoo", and personally, wouldn't sleep on Hildeby's long term chances of being a real goalie in this league.

Reactions: LeafSteel

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He's played well, but I've noticed he gives up a LOT of rebounds. To be continued

Apparently that's one of the things that he "changed" about his game in recent years.... getting a firmer compound of his pads so that he gives up bigger rebounds after learning about it from Bobrovsky.

There's a school of thought taht says if you're not going to completely absorb a puck, you're better off to rebound it beyond the faceoff dots, then you are to leave a rebound 3 feet outside of the crease.

Those massive rebounds may look offensive, but if they're getting past the first layer of forecheckers, they're not really a problem... and may actually be beneficial to a team like the Leafs that can score off the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad