Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXII - A full set of teeth (September edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost signed a 6 year deal that covered his RFA years coming off a bad season, after an ACL tear and a bad groin injury, security mattered to him b/c he could blossom or get injured once again. Big underpay off 2017-18, but not off 2018-19.

Couts signed his deal after the 2015-16 season after seasons of 39, 37, 39 points. He had 34 points the next year, was injured again, and probably was happy that he signed that deal that took him through his RFA years - I doubt he envisioned he'd go from a solid defensive 2C/3C to one of the top centers in the league in 2017-18.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Werenski signs 3x5, and Provorov wants 6-8 years, you start with the RFA deal for the first three years, than add a Trouba contract to the end, so 6x6 or so, 8x7, something in that range. If the team takes more risk, Provorov gets less money.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, both were better players and were more deserving of their contracts.

And $6.5m for 6-8 years would absolutely be a massive overpayment based on what he's done so far.

Thats odd considering Evolving Wild, who while not perfect has put a whole hell of a lot more thought into contract projecting than you or I, has Provorovs value at $6.7 on a 6 year term.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thats odd considering Evolving Wild, who while not perfect has put a whole hell of a lot more thought into contract projecting than you or I, has Provorovs value at $6.7 on a 6 year term.

I've never given a solitary f*** about what hockey writers or advanced statistics say about players and I'm not suddenly going to start now.

I have no clue how they came to that conclusion but it's certainly not a formula I'd trust (and you can even see there that many of their projections are off the mark). But hey, you believe whatever you want.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
In more important news..... @Captain Dave Poulin

tenor.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Just a hunch but I think that the Jackets will fold and sign Werenski for $7X7 and that will set the market place for Provy. Columbus needs to put some good news on what has been a terrible off season for them.
I agree.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I love how mad people are about these unsigned RFAs who have already put up huge numbers demanding 5 year terms and big AAVs, when Crosby was handed a 5 year deal at what would be $14.1m AAV now, after only two years of his ELC.

Of course Crosby is another level above a guy like Marner, but if Marner is demanding 5 x $11m that's a full $3,100,000 less per year than what Crosby got. Which seems like an appropriate discount.

Reactions: Rebels57

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Just a hunch but I think that the Jackets will fold and sign Werenski for $7X7 and that will set the market place for Provy. Columbus needs to put some good news on what has been a terrible off season for them.
I think it will happen sooner than later. The three are waiting on each other. None seem to be dbags like marner. I doubt any hold this long without marners antics.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The McDavid injury that happened in April and is still hanging over him is a real bummer for the league.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Surprised Timonen just missed out... and slightly surprised Lindblom made it, even though thought he would be in mix.

Surprised Laughton just made it... thought a few other fwds would be ahead of him.

Everything else pretty much as expected I think.

Just wait until Niskanen is here, he is consistent top pairing guy who just recently win cup for Washington. He will leave everyone else in the dust on that list. Also couturier as third line center is just lols.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yeah, both were better players and were more deserving of their contracts.

And $6.5m for 6-8 years would absolutely be a massive overpayment based on what he's done so far.

It would be high but given all of the variables, including Fletcher's soft negotiations to date, I would be relieved if the first number of Provorov's contract is a 6, unless it is a 1-year deal of course. The Flyers have given Provorov and his agent plenty of ammunition to demand that he be paid as a #1 for now and the future, including plenty of undeserved PP time.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It would be high but given all of the variables, including Fletcher's soft negotiations to date, I would be relieved if the first number of Provorov's contract is a 6, unless it is a 1-year deal of course. The Flyers have given Provorov and his agent plenty of ammunition to demand that he be paid as a #1 for now and the future, including plenty of undeserved PP time.
How depressing is that?

Fletcher has us hoping for a minor overpay instead of a large one... the thought of it being a good contract isn’t even a realistic expectation. :laugh:

And if they’re willing to fall into that trap of thinking that “quantity of icetime = quality of defensemen” then we’re completely f***ed.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad