Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXII - A full set of teeth (September edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I’ll be the dissenting minority.

Those white shoulders look stupid

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
@LorneMalvo
In regard to your uniform comment in the prior thread, what I like about the 80s jerseys vs the current is the shoulder design. My complaint with the current uniform is that the shoulders look weak. If they fixed that to the shoulder design of the old jerseys, & darkened the orange a bit, I’d be a happy camper.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
My only issue with the Flyers current set is the radioactive orange they are using. Tone it down and go with a darker, more menacing orange.
I always assumed they lightened the orange tone on the current jerseys for TV purposes.
They look fine when you watch on TV but when you actually go to hold a real one they are..shockingly bright

Reactions: Rebels57

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
@LorneMalvo
In regard to your uniform comment in the prior thread, what I like about the 80s jerseys vs the current is the shoulder design. My complaint with the current uniform is that the shoulders look weak. If they fixed that to the shoulder design of the old jerseys, & darkened the orange a bit, I’d be a happy camper.
I actually like the current shoulder design. It's a classic look. But I can see why some prefer the 80s design.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Anyone else getting really worried that the season will start in about 30 days and yet there is a massive amount of RFAs that still need to sign, and not just with the Flyers? I honestly think Marner is going to pull a Nylander and I sadly think other players will follow right behind him. Flyers have the room to give both Provy and Konecny what they should be getting, but this is getting nuts with everyone else. I could players like Rantanen and Point waiting for Marner to be signed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone else getting really worried that the season will start in about 30 days and yet there is a massive amount of RFAs that still need to sign, and not just with the Flyers? I honestly think Marner is going to pull a Nylander and I sadly think other players will follow right behind him. Flyers have the room to give both Provy and Konecny what they should be getting, but this is getting nuts with everyone else. I could players like Rantanen and Point waiting for Marner to be signed.

Its really f***ing annoying.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not really worried but it’s annoying. TK is not going to hold out. Provy is not binging on Marner. Suck for the leafs the most as they have built their team to go for it year to year and this year they have dmen in their last years. But not their best player.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
So can someone explain the whole RFA situation to me? What is the hold up? Is it all Marner? At this point are we expecting guys to miss training camp or even regular season games?

Is the league really gonna go into the season without most of its young stars?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So can someone explain the whole RFA situation to me? What is the hold up? Is it all Marner? At this point are we expecting guys to miss training camp or even regular season games?

Teams want to exercise their leverage of RFA status and not pay through the roof for their young stars. They'd like to get them under contract for term before the new contract, where revenues will no doubt increase, driving the cap and salaries up.

Young stars want to exercise their right to not be locked in to long contracts when there exists the very real potential for the cap to go up by a pretty large amount in the next few years.

I dont think they're all waiting on Marner, per se. He doesnt really have a good comparable in this RFA class, and is a pretty clear tier above everyone else, save for Rantanen. I do think the higher tiered defensemen are waiting to see who goes first, while a team like Boston has to try to navigate the waters of two defenseman they desperately need to keep. I think there'll be a domino effect when someone signs, but I sont think Marner is that domino, as no one stands to use him as a ceiling anyway.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen, Laine, Connor are waiting on Marner

Provy, Werenski, McAvoy all waiting to see who blinks first and signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Point, Tkachuk, Rantanen, Laine, Connor are waiting on Marner

Provy, Werenski, McAvoy all waiting to see who blinks first and signs.

I know he's a bit older, but I think the cost of Trouba should give people ideas of what the D-men should cost. Provy should be 5-5.5M for at least a couple years. Werenski could probably be about 4.5M and McAvoy could be about as much as Provy. All 3 players are younger than Trouba, but they still can do more, so bridge deals could work for them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know he's a bit older, but I think the cost of Trouba should give people ideas of what the D-men should cost. Provy should be 5-5.5M for at least a couple years. Werenski could probably be about 4.5M and McAvoy could be about as much as Provy. All 3 players are younger than Trouba, but they still can do more, so bridge deals could work for them.

The consensus seems to be that Trouba isnt a good comp because he was going into 3rd contract rather than 2nd.

Either way though, none of them have a leg to stand on if they are asking for more than the $8 million he got.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov shouldn’t be getting $6m or above.

I’m really dreading this contract, both because of its potential to negatively impact the team and also the headache it’ll undoubtably cause on here.

If I had to bet, I’d guess it ends up at $6.5m and I’m not going to be happy if it is.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov shouldn’t be getting $6m or above.

I’m really dreading this contract, both because of its potential to negatively impact the team and also the headache it’ll undoubtably cause on here.

If I had to bet, I’d guess it ends up at $6.5m and I’m not going to be happy if it is.

$6.5 would be a perfect number and would look great 3 years from now when inferior dmen are signing for more because of that lucrative tv deal that is on the horizon. Plus, remember, he's only 22. He's going to continue to improve.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
$6.5 would be a perfect number and would look great 3 years from now when inferior dmen are signing for more because of that lucrative tv deal that is on the horizon. Plus, remember, he's only 22. He's going to continue to improve.
You don’t pre-pay for future inflation and you don’t pay for what someone might eventually become.

You pay for what the player currently is and Provorov currently is not a $6.5m defensemen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You don’t pre-pay for future inflation and you don’t pay for what someone might eventually become.

You pay for what the player currently is and Provorov currently is not a $6.5m defensemen.

Thats actually not how it works with players in their early 20s. Projected growth is most definitely factored in for long-term contracts. Thats why its not easy to iron them out.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thats actually not how it works with players in their early 20s. Projected growth is most definitely factored in for long-term contracts. Thats why its not easy to iron them out.

That hasn't seemed to be an issue before.

Ghost and Couturier sure didn't seem to get that treatment. Neither got massively overpaid in the mere hopes that they'd grow into it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That hasn't seemed to be an issue before.

Ghost and Couturier sure didn't seem to get that treatment. Neither got massively overpaid in the mere hopes that they'd grow into it.

For a variety of reasons, neither are apples to apples comparables to Provorovs situation.

Also, $6.5 would not be a "massive overpayment" for Provy long-term. It'd be a small overpayment short-term that could look like great long-term.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For a variety of reasons, neither are apples to apples comparables to Provorovs situation.

Also, $6.5 would not be a "massive overpayment" for Provy long-term. It'd be a small overpayment short-term that could look like great long-term.

Yeah, both were better players and were more deserving of their contracts.

And $6.5m for 6-8 years would absolutely be a massive overpayment based on what he's done so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad