Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCIII: Spring has Sprung

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Team's Post-Season Bandwagon are You Joining? (79+ points listed as of March 29)

• Boston

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Carolina

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • New Jersey

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Vegas

• NY Rangers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toronto

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Los Angeles

• Minnesota

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Colorado

• Dallas

• Tampa Bay

• Seattle

• NY Islanders

• Winnipeg

• Calgary

• Nashville

• Pittsburgh

• Florida

• None, the Flyers aren't in it

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • A team not listed should they make the post-season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Mikael Granlund really stormed in & solved Pittsburgh’s massive depth problem, with 1 goal and 4 assists in 20 games since the deadline.
:laugh:
But hey, he’s “only” 31 & has a “mere” $5M cap hit for “only” two more seasons after this one.

Want to talk about a bad use of a 2023 2nd round pick….

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So, will the Florida pick end up as good as Tippett? :popcorn:

Looks like the 2024 won't be that much different than the 2023 1st in value.
Unless of course Lyon is the real thing and wins 40 games for them next year. :DD

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Mikael Granlund really stormed in & solved Pittsburgh’s massive depth problem, with 1 goal and 4 assists in 20 games since the deadline.
:laugh:
But hey, he’s “only” 31 & has a “mere” $5M cap hit for “only” two more seasons after this one.

Want to talk about a bad use of a 2023 2nd round pick….

Hextall's deadline this year was really a microcosm of his abilities.

Magically clear a bad contract (Kapanen), immediately turn around and overvalue someone else's bad contract (Granlund), all the while being too afraid to pull the trigger on any big moves (JT Miller, Boeser, Chychrun).

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hextall's deadline this year was really a microcosm of his abilities.

Magically clear a bad contract (Kapanen), immediately turn around and overvalue someone else's bad contract (Granlund), all the while being too afraid to pull the trigger on any big moves (JT Miller, Boeser, Chychrun).
Yes, though he gave Kapanen that contract just last summer.

He was forced to clear it through waivers due to his own poor cap management.

And, the way Kapanen has played in St. Louis, with 8 goals & 6 points in 21 games, crushes what Granlund has done in PIT.

And Granlund is more expensive plus they gave up a ‘23 2nd.

Whereas they gave up Kapanen for free.

Just a disaster of management.

Reactions: Redpath

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall wasn't good at evaluating NHL talent, maybe it wasn't the Flyer scouts (though CF was no better). He signed Weise and overpaid JVR (a good scorer with limited flexibility, a LW who needed to be sheltered). Did a good job trading marginal players for 3rd rd picks, but not obtaining useful NHL players. Seems to have a similar problem across the state, one good FA signing in Heinen, but poor cap management, overpaying veterans with declining skills.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hextall wasn't good at evaluating NHL talent, maybe it wasn't the Flyer scouts (though CF was no better). He signed Weise and overpaid JVR (a good scorer with limited flexibility, a LW who needed to be sheltered). Did a good job trading marginal players for 3rd rd picks, but not obtaining useful NHL players. Seems to have a similar problem across the state, one good FA signing in Heinen, but poor cap management, overpaying veterans with declining skills.
Hextall’s player evaluation is dreadful. He’s proven that conclusively at two separate stops.

Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It sounds like the talks with Miller fell apart on the Canucks end. The Penguins needed to move Zucker, but the Canucks only wanted to do it if they could flip Zucker and couldn’t, for some reason, because those guys are buffoons too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I look forward to Fletcher getting the proper credit for his abilities. I wonder if it ever happens?

All those Flyers personnel who have churned out constant failure are still in place, so Briere is doomed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not to excuse Hextall because I have no reason to believe he is anything but mediocre, but he and Brian Burke were a package deal. If you think Burke doesn’t have his fingerprints on some of those moves you’re crazy.
Burke was definitely in on it. Hextall was prepared to let Malkin walk until Burke, or somebody, told Hextall to get the f*** back in his office and don’t come out until it’s done.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Burke was definitely in on it. Hextall was prepared to let Malkin walk until Burke, or somebody, told Hextall to get the f*** back in his office and don’t come out until it’s done.
Letting Malkin walk after re-signing Letang into his 40's would've been idiotic though. You either let them both walk or re-sign both of them.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Well, Malkin sure isn’t the reason they’re missing the playoffs.

But if Hextall wanted to start a full rebuild instead of winning now, sometimes your bosses tell you that’s not an option.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, Malkin sure isn’t the reason they’re missing the playoffs.

But if Hextall wanted to start a full rebuild instead of winning now, sometimes your bosses tell you that’s not an option.
Which begs the question as to why he was hired to begin with

Reactions: renberg

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Letting Malkin walk after re-signing Letang into his 40's would've been idiotic though. You either let them both walk or re-sign both of them.
And why re-sign a 37 yr old Jeff Carter in January 2022 to a two year extension at $3.125M beginning in 22/23 if you are planning to let Malkin go & rebuild instead of trying to win now?

Reactions: TCTC

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Too many bad contracts is Shittsburgh. The FO didn't have the cajones to let people just walk. Then they topped that by giving the guys that they should have cut ties with contracts that were above their play grade.
It was time to let go. Obviously Crosby has to stay there for the duration of his career but after that.... Malkin is a lumbering lurch on the ice of dubious value. It would have been interesting to see what he would have garnered on the open market. 4X$6.1? I doubt it. Letang 6X$6.1? With his health history, I doubt that any sane club would match that. (Maybe Fletcher would have after what he took on with Ellis)The Carter deal was fine since it was short but taking on Granlund; the Kapanen extension; the Rakell deal. It's worse than what has gone on here in Philly.

Reactions: TCTC

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Which begs the question as to why he was hired to begin with
He knew his mandate was always going to be win-now until Crosby retired.

Must’ve convinced Pittsburgh ownership he would compete for the Cup while still building for the future.

He sold Snider on a “plan,” so I guess selling a bill of goods to ownership is the one thing he’s good at.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He knew his mandate was always going to be win-now until Crosby retired.

Must’ve convinced Pittsburgh ownership he would compete for the Cup while still building for the future.

He sold Snider on a “plan,” so I guess selling a bill of goods to ownership is the one thing he’s good at.

He's also good at moving contracts and actually winning some trades, which is two more things than Fletcher is good at. Weird that you still have a user title defending the guy who wrecked the Flyers.

Hextall is bad, but you've spent years defending a guy who is worse. Why?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I remember a Pittsburgh fan came to our board to tell me what a great deal that Carter deal was after I trashed the signing. Betting against unsustainable goal scoring seasons is usually a pretty good investment.

A bunch of us also took heat for questioning why a team that needs to be trying to win immediately would hire a GM whose only mode is "slow build" and who was terrible at best at picking established talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad