Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCI: Bring Your Own Mustard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And now?
Believe me, I’m not saying he wasn’t. He was arguably on par with AV for worst Flyers coach of the past two decades.

Hakstol was an asshole, but he was never a Vigneault level disaster either. He did some things well, some things not well, and he was an asshole.

The 4 Hakstok Hallmarks are:

1. Emphasis on low danger area shots

2. Drastic overuse of fringe players

3. Awful PK

4. Afraid of risk, especially when leading

Wouldn’t you know it: they sit about 20th across the board in every 5v5 offensive metric and have the 2nd worst PK in GA/60. Seattle built a real 4 line roster, so he can’t just depend on plugs, so his worst impulse has been curbed. The Shell may have been eased up, based on their stats when leading, but that’s possible it’s deeper roster construction. It really comes down to this: despite being below average offensively in generating, they have the league best 5v5 shooting % by a mile. The difference between them and 2nd is the difference between 2nd and 12th. Never fails.

Last edited:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Anaheim is the one team where I legitimately wonder if this disaster under Eakins is worth it. He’s the lamest of lame ducks. They’re a total train wreck, and they have multiple young core players developmentally suffering in it. They’re not even clearly dead last, and at least the other teams don’t have top prospects wasting away, or they’re playing on a line with Gaudreau. Anaheim is just sad. They have all their eggs in the Bedard basket in ways Chicago and Columbus and Arizona don’t.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Anaheim is the one team where I legitimately wonder if this disaster under Eakins is worth it. He’s the lamest of lame ducks. They’re a total train wreck, and they have multiple young core players developmentally suffering in it. They’re not even clearly dead last, and at least the other teams don’t have top prospects wasting away, or they’re playing on a line with Gaudreau. Anaheim is just sad. They have all their eggs in the Bedard basket in ways Chicago and Columbus and Arizona don’t.

I’d imagine being a small market team might be at play? They might not want to pay two coaches in a lost season where losing is more beneficial than winning?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’d imagine being a small market team might be at play? They might not want to pay two coaches in a lost season where losing is more beneficial than winning?

I don't know; I never thought the Ducks were truly penny pinchers. Their operating income has been quite good for a rebuilding team, at least with last year's data. They also used Dallas Eakins' option for this 4th year -- maybe the simplest thought is that they just liked him and thought he could improve the team this year? Signing Klingberg for $7mil, Strome for $25 mil, Vatrano for $11 mil -- that's not exactly the tanking playbook, along with adding McTavish. I think they thought they'd improve, or at least keep status quo (10th place). They don't have major injuries to blame.

I'm all for Chicago going full scale rebuild for Bedard; that's their plan, and they're not playing any kids. They're executing perfectly. I just think Anaheim is actually a total disaster in reality and expectation, and multiple youth core players (McTavish, Zegras, Terry) are in that mess. 37% 5v5 adjxGF% is a big yikes. All-situations 35% GF% is a big yeesh. They're still only 3rd worst in points %, but they're the worst team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know; I never thought the Ducks were truly penny pinchers. Their operating income is quite good really, for a rebuilding team. They also used Dallas Eakins' option for this 4th year -- maybe the simplest thought is that they just liked him and thought he could improve the team this year? Signing Klingberg for $7mil, Strome for $25 mil, Vatrano for $11 mil -- that's not exactly the tanking playbook, along with adding McTavish. I think they thought they'd improve, or at least keep status quo (10th place).

I'm all for Chicago going full scale rebuild for Bedard; that's their plan, and they're not playing any kids. I just think Anaheim is actually a total disaster in reality and expectation, and multiple core players are in that mess. 37% 5v5 adjxGF% is a big yikes. All-situations 35% GF% is a big yeesh. They're still only 3rd worst in points %, but certainly they're battling for last.

I meant in season now. Essentially throwing the towel in season seeing where they’re at currently.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I meant in season now. Essentially throwing the towel in season seeing where they’re at currently.

I know. I'm just wondering if there's a line that they've crossed where you can't just ride this out with Eakins, tank or not. Much as I believe talent survives, they're testing my philosophical limits in ways Chicago and Columbus and Arizona are not. Those teams have plans and excuses and are equally low in the standings. (Fun fact: the San Diego Gulls are the worst team in the AHL too.)

Just for perspective, a 37.8% adj5v5 xGF% (at least on NST) would be the worst ever recorded. Going back to every season, these were the worst teams (starting with 21-22): 41.4%, 43.3%, 43%, 44.1%, 45.3%, 41.8%, 43.6%, 38.3%, 41.5%, 43.4%, 46.4%, 43.8%, 44.7%, 44.9%, 42.9%. And many of those teams were not operating with the wealth of data teams have today. That 38.3% team was the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres. That's probably the worst roster + coaching performance in memory. The only useful player on that team was Marcus Foligno -- and certainly 0 core players akin to Anaheim (but they did have Risto and Deslauriers!).

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
In Hershey for Chris Bourque jersey retirement night. Pretty rare for a minor league team to retire a number. Ray and the rest of Chris's family is here. Chris is one of my favorite Bears of all time so this was a must-see game for me.
20230114_180729.jpg

20230114_180238.jpg

20230114_180854.jpg

20230114_181522.jpg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I know. I'm just wondering if there's a line that they've crossed where you can't just ride this out with Eakins, tank or not. Much as I believe talent survives, they're testing my philosophical limits in ways Chicago and Columbus and Arizona are not. Those teams have plans and excuses and are equally low in the standings. (Fun fact: the San Diego Gulls are the worst team in the AHL too.)

Just for perspective, a 37.8% adj5v5 xGF% (at least on NST) would be the worst ever recorded. Going back to every season, these were the worst teams (starting with 21-22): 41.4%, 43.3%, 43%, 44.1%, 45.3%, 41.8%, 43.6%, 38.3%, 41.5%, 43.4%, 46.4%, 43.8%, 44.7%, 44.9%, 42.9%. And many of those teams were not operating with the wealth of data teams have today. That 38.3% team was the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres. That's probably the worst roster + coaching performance in memory. The only useful player on that team was Marcus Foligno -- and certainly 0 core players akin to Anaheim (but they did have Risto and Deslauriers!).

I don’t necessarily disagree but it should be interesting to track going forward. Their defensive prospect pool is pretty impressive though.

Pavel Mintyukov
Olen Zellweger
Tyson Sands
Jackson Lacombe
Tristan Luneau
Henry Thrun
Drew Helleson

There’s enough names there with most of them trending up to get some sticks. The top three might arguably be the best three defensemen in the whole CHL this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I've been banging the drum for years about how development is key and the damage done can take extensive time and effort to undo, assuming the damage can be diagnosed to begin with. We have watched this over and over ourselves.

Eakins is badly damaging that team. He's not worth it if they are using him to tank.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who is Ryan McAllister and why is he among the leading scorers in college?
At 18 and 19 he was total shit in the BCHL and AJHL - an age when he should have graduated years before.
Then at 20, 139 points in 60 games, 29 points in 13 PO games in the AJHL, really over age so ho hum
Goes to Western Michigan, 24g 10-29 39 +19.

Is he for real? Has he aged out of the NHL draft?

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad