Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVII: Countdown to June 2nd and the draft lottery

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Two points -

1) there are intangibles that matter, especially on young teams, a kid comes up and sees Giroux's dedication, that has an impact. When the clubhouse is full of self-starters, it sets the tone for the rest of the team, when there's a critical mass of high motor players, other players are less likely to take a shift off. When athletes make so much money at a young age, they need to be driven by competitive drive. Sometimes this is a maturity issue, Embiid went from a clown to killer when he realized that once you have money, it's not fun unless you win.

2) winning teams can patch over personality conflicts - but a toxic clubhouse often leads to teams imploding when the going gets tough.

Another positive example: Jagr.

As to point 2, that's something that goes beyond a single player though. And that's my big objection here; the idea that McDavid's intangibles are the make or break point. It's like if Clarke had ended up on that 74 Caps team; his vaunted leadership skills aren't salvaging that roster, nor should anyone think less of him for not managing an impossibility. But per the Intangible Method of analysis, he should be blamed. The notion that McDavid should be able to "leadership" hard enough to erase a stream of roster deficiencies and counter good goaltending is goofiness at best.

There's a hard limit on the wonders of intangibility.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

mcguire.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
We also have to listen to Regis blow his load over every stoppage tonight. Literally every whistle. "Another stoppage. We haven't seen this many stoppages in any playoff game this season. This is part of Nashville's plan. This is a well coached team trying to disrupt Carolina's rhythm."

Every single whistle
Bouncing off what I said earlier it's so crazy how he just fixates on one thing every game. It's crazy. He always has that one thing on a game to game basis. Of course he also has an overarching manga of anti-analytics, but I'm taking the game to game fixations in particular

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We also have to listen to Regis blow his load over every stoppage tonight. Literally every whistle. "Another stoppage. We haven't seen this many stoppages in any playoff game this season. This is part of Nashville's plan. This is a well coached team trying to disrupt Carolina's rhythm."

Every single whistle

He just did it again :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Another positive example: Jagr.

As to point 2, that's something that goes beyond a single player though. And that's my big objection here; the idea that McDavid's intangibles are the make or break point. It's like if Clarke had ended up on that 74 Caps team; his vaunted leadership skills aren't salvaging that roster, nor should anyone think less of him for not managing an impossibility. But per the Intangible Method of analysis, he should be blamed. The notion that McDavid should be able to "leadership" hard enough to erase a stream of roster deficiencies and counter good goaltending is goofiness at best.

There's a hard limit on the wonders of intangibility.

The best player to ever play needed a supporting cast of Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, etc. to win championships. He never won one again after leaving those guys.

Those LA teams were a drastic step down.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Incredible goal by Necas

Another player drafted AFTER Patrick that I would give my left nut to have instead of him. Patrick probably doesnt even go Top 15 in a Re-Draft. Hooray.

Funny enough we were talking about Necas at 13th overall before we "won" the lottery. Turns out he wouldnt have been on the board still though.

Not sure what happened to Saros there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad