Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVII: Countdown to June 2nd and the draft lottery

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
The real problem with these kinds of comments (Bill's) is that they make people downplay or believe that there is no place for intangibles in these discussions, which isn't the case at all. It would probably be better if more people followed my example of pristine understanding of advanced stats, especially Geometry, combined with spite.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u3.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I do think the intangibles can matter. But the way Hockey Guys just lazily leap to that wet pile to dredge out "analysis" like this is downright boring. It's a default thought-free response that liberates them from having to actually analyze a team. It's stupid. Especially since there's an abundance of intangibly awful teams and players throughout sports, including hockey, who have won. If intangibles are such an urgent, overriding factor that trumps all, even matching or exceeding roster construction, then that shouldn't happen.

The 80s Mets and Raiders were dumpsters of humanity and it didn't matter. Yzerman, Ovechkin, Stamkos, and Crosby were all derided as toxic losers on teams loaded with more of the same; choke artists. It didn't matter. Ty Cobb's biggest rival was his own teammate, Crawford. They hated each other. Didn't stop them from becoming the GOAT double steal combination.

The first example that comes to mind of intangibles definitively being the primary, true cause of failure are the 1919 White Sox. A team that was full-blown great despite everyone hating each others guts and actively playing to spite and hurt one another, culminating in players fixing the World Series against themselves. And even then, despite these flaws that should have been crippling, the team was so good that it made the throw obvious immediately.

The last time the Flyers went to the Finals was with a squad that was reputed to be thoroughly toxic with trash leadership and riven into factions, and yet none of that slowed them down; it was bad goaltending. The same trash elements were later crucial to two wins elsewhere, because the truth is that this stuff isn't nearly as important most of the time as writers and fans claim.

Intangibles as presented by hockey media are nonsense. They're a lazy bullshit crutch used by lazy bullshit writers to perpetuate a lazy circle jerk narrative that keeps fans stupid and prevents them from having to do work or risk offending the hockey management they worship while using puddles of their own drool as prayer mats.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The real problem with these kinds of comments (Bill's) is that they make people downplay or believe that there is no place for intangibles in these discussions, which isn't the case at all. It would probably be better if more people followed my example of pristine understanding of advanced stats, especially Geometry, combined with spite.

It’s not easy winning championships in hockey even for good teams. There’s a lot of luck & randomness involved. But main stream hockey media is incapable of just saying this. We need some narrative instead to explain why something did or didn’t happen which usually misses the target.

Edmonton wasn’t really that bad as you’d think this series even though got swept either.

Now I don’t think they’re a good team in a general sense & McDavid is in his prime & they’re still toiling away there which isn’t good. I have no faith in Holland adding pieces to help there either.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s not easy winning championships in hockey even for good teams. There’s a lot of luck & randomness involved. But main stream hockey media is incapable of just saying this. We need some narrative instead to explain why something did or didn’t happen which usually misses the target.

Edmonton wasn’t really that bad as you’d think this series even though got swept either.

Now I don’t think they’re a good team in a general sense & McDavid is in his prime & they’re still toiling away there which isn’t good. I have no faith in Holland adding pieces to help there either.

We should throw a big offer at them for Draisaitl. We wont but we should.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Actually kind of excited to see what TNT does with their broadcast. Could be refreshing.
Me and my brother were talking about this. Their NBA coverage is excellent both in entertainment and in analysis. It's not obnoxious, they all are good analysts who make good points, they all are in touch with the game, and EJ the moderator not only understands the sport but isn't a Ken doll dickhead. They make it something you actually want to watch (on a much more consistent basis than any other halftime/post game shit)

If they could do something similar with the NHL that'd be cool- a dual post game/around the league show. I mean, just something that isn't a chore would be a win.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Me and my brother were talking about this. Their NBA coverage is excellent both in entertainment and in analysis. It's not obnoxious, they all are good analysts who make good points, they all are in touch with the game, and EJ the moderator not only understands the sport but isn't a Ken doll dickhead. They make it something you actually want to watch (on a much more consistent basis than any other halftime/post game shit)

If they could do something similar with the NHL that'd be cool- a dual post game/around the league show. I mean, just something that isn't a chore would be a win.

Exactly this

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Insane pass by Galchenyuk (of all people) to Nylander. Thats gotta sting for Habs fans.
That guy just had another insane assist. Talking about skating ability! Rushed the puck up for a sweet dish

edit; so I assume he played for the Habs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad