NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know the cap is going up but . . .
Verhaeghe deal from age 30-36.
Who thinks he's an elite player who'll play at a high level past 32?

But to be fair, Florida is in "win now" mode, if they suck 5 years from now . . .

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Maybe because they were facing skaters who didn't have the workout habits, nutrition, better shape, better trainers and physical therapy, either. Plus, they all looked like they were skating in their pajamas.
😉
Fair point. Though I do not buy the over worked angle is all. At least to the extreme that some do.

I know the cap is going up but . . .
Verhaeghe deal from age 30-36.
Who thinks he's an elite player who'll play at a high level past 32?

But to be fair, Florida is in "win now" mode, if they suck 5 years from now . . .
Who thinks TK will still be a productive player at 32 +.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Fair point. Though I do not buy the over worked angle is all. At least to the extreme that some do.
I'm a fellow -- as in never sniffed competitive levels -- goalie so I am always sympathetic, but I don't disagree with your original post. Mind you, I couldn't fathom professional-level rigours of stopping 100 mph rubber bullets while doing the splits 20 times a game.

Reactions: blackjackmulligan

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Who thinks TK will still be a productive player at 32 +.
I'd bet on him over Verhaeghe. Though I would have traded him.

Verhaeghe is in the ideal situation for him in Florida, don't think he'd be the same player on say the Flyers the last few seasons.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I'd bet on him over Verhaeghe. Though I would have traded him.

Verhaeghe is in the ideal situation for him in Florida, don't think he'd be the same player on say the Flyers the last few seasons.

No one except a few would be the same player on the Flyers. CV also has less NHL milage on this body. Has played 200+ games less. Also don't seem to recall him being hurt.

As long as Torts is the coach that is one reason why no high end free agent forwards will come to Philly. Barring a total overpay.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one except a few would be the same player on the Flyers. CV also has less NHL milage on this body. Has played 200+ games less. Also don't seem to recall him being hurt.

As long as Torts is the coach that is one reason why no high end free agent forwards will come to Philly. Barring a total overpay.
Good. Team is better off not overpaying for a 29 year old FA who's getting paid based on his peak seasons for his aging seasons.

Better move is to package assets for a 25-26 year old with a RFA or two season left, then extend him from age 27-34.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Good. Team is better off not overpaying for a 29 year old FA who's getting paid based on his peak seasons for his aging seasons.

Better move is to package assets for a 25-26 year old with a RFA or two season left, then extend him from age 27-34.
They are going to go that route as 2 of the 3 stooges already have said as much. Soon as they have money it will spent real fast.

They will get #2 center or #3 dman and pass them off as top line players.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Once cleared waivers.
incovfefeable.gif

Reactions: FLYguy3911

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My prediction is, if they are in a playoff spot come mid-January a blockbuster deal lands them Kadri and Anderson from Calgary.
I seriously doubt it.

Briere has been pretty adamant that they're still rebuilding, Torts won't even use the word "playoff."

The kind of trade they'd make is similar to what Florida did with Tkachuk and Reinhart, target a player in the 24-26 age range who would be an upgrade over what you have now. Someone who could be part of your long-term core. TB made a similar move with Hagel. Two 1st rd picks and a couple "B" prospects looked like an overpay, then he put up 66 ES points at 25 last season.

Hagel had a crazy career path, 6th rd pick by Buffalo in 2016, then went unsigned, partially due to injuries in 2017. Signed with Blackhawks in 2018 during a big overage WHL season. 2019-20, 31 points in 59 AHL games. Broke into the Blackhawk lineup at 22.

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I seriously doubt it.

Briere has been pretty adamant that they're still rebuilding, Torts won't even use the word "playoff."

The kind of trade they'd make is similar to what Florida did with Tkachuk and Reinhart, target a player in the 24-26 age range who would be an upgrade over what you have now. Someone who could be part of your long-term core. TB made a similar move with Hagel. Two 1st rd picks and a couple "B" prospects looked like an overpay, then he put up 66 ES points at 25 last season.

Hagel had a crazy career path, 6th rd pick by Buffalo in 2016, then went unsigned, partially due to injuries in 2017. Signed with Blackhawks in 2018 during a big overage WHL season. 2019-20, 31 points in 59 AHL games. Broke into the Blackhawk lineup at 22.
Adamant about they are rebuilding. Funny you really believe that. The are towing the middle of the road approach hoping to get lucky. Great strategy.

Torts is a fn car salesmen. He will temper expectation for his own benefit. If they make it makes him look good. If not it was an I told you so. If you truly think he doesn't want to make the playoffs then I do not know what to yell you. It kills him not being in the playoffs.

They have shown no inclination to do that. This a fantasy you concocted. They don't have what it takes ot acquire a Tkachuk level player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Adamant about they are rebuilding. Funny you really believe that. The are towing the middle of the road approach hoping to get lucky. Great strategy.

Torts is a fn car salesmen. He will temper expectation for his own benefit. If they make it makes him look good. If not it was an I told you so. If you truly think he doesn't want to make the playoffs then I do not know what to yell you. It kills him not being in the playoffs.

They have shown no inclination to do that. This a fantasy you concocted. They don't have what it takes ot acquire a Tkachuk level player.
They're not ready to do that.

They've made no "win now" moves, if that was the goal, they should have acquired a veteran center who was an upgrade over Laughton and Cates. They had enough assets and cap room to do so.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Extending Seeler and Hathaway and keeping Laughton are win-now moves
I'm still amazed they extended Hathway literally the first day they could. While he still had a year left on his current deal.

Like, are you telling me you couldn't have waited to sign that contract? Were they afraid his price would go up between now and a year from now?

Clown level "rebuilding".

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I'm still amazed they extended Hathway literally the first day they could. While he still had a year left on his current deal.

Like, are you telling me you couldn't have waited to sign that contract? Were they afraid his price would go up between now and a year from now?

Clown level "rebuilding".
they felt they might have to compete with offers from themselves....🤣🤣

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Extending Seeler and Hathaway and keeping Laughton are win-now moves
None of these cost real assets, you can bury $1.25M in AHL so smaller contracts have limited impacts.

I think now that they're comfortable with the clubhouse and younger veterans are stepping up, Laughton is more vulnerable than last season.

If Luhanko sticks, he's probably gone by the TDL.
Otherwise he may last until summer if no one at LHV steps up (Luchanko will start next season).

What would save Laughton is the lack of a center at LHV. If you move Laughton and Cates becomes the 3C, you're betting all the centers stay healthy.
Right now, Rizzo, Richard, Desnoyers aren't viable replacements at center.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
None of these cost real assets, you can bury $1.25M in AHL so smaller contracts have limited impacts.

I think now that they're comfortable with the clubhouse and younger veterans are stepping up, Laughton is more vulnerable than last season.

If Luhanko sticks, he's probably gone by the TDL.
Otherwise he may last until summer if no one at LHV steps up (Luchanko will start next season).

What would save Laughton is the lack of a center at LHV. If you move Laughton and Cates becomes the 3C, you're betting all the centers stay healthy.
Right now, Rizzo, Richard, Desnoyers aren't viable replacements at center.

They aren't going to bury anything. You always propose they will, they never do. They aren't rebuilding. They're trying to win.

A rebuilding team doesn't lock away their bottom six so that young and unknown talent cannot break in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They aren't going to bury anything. You always propose they will, they never do. They aren't rebuilding. They're trying to win.

A rebuilding team doesn't lock away their bottom six so that young and unknown talent cannot break in.
What talent? You keep saying that and every year that "talent" passes through waivers and never has a NHL career.
NAK is the only one to have a modicum of success since Cousins was traded. And he's been waived by other teams or not resigned.
I remember you castigating the FO when Friedman, etc. were claimed.

Lycksell will probably get NHL PT at some point in his career, but he passed through waivers at age 25. Most teams could use a solid 4th liner at minimum wage. And he has enough NHL film for other teams to make an evaluation whether he's worth a look. Doubt he's the next Verhaeghe.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What talent? You keep saying that and every year that "talent" passes through waivers and never has a NHL career.
NAK is the only one to have a modicum of success since Cousins was traded. And he's been waived by other teams or not resigned.
I remember you castigating the FO when Friedman, etc. were claimed.

Lycksell will probably get NHL PT at some point in his career, but he passed through waivers at age 25. Most teams could use a solid 4th liner at minimum wage. And he has enough NHL film for other teams to make an evaluation whether he's worth a lock. Doubt he's the next Verhaeghe.

Passing through waivers means nothing. They never have a career in no small part because they are not allowed to have one.

The Flyers are not going to learn anything about how effective their scouting, drafting, and development are if they refuse to let anyone play on the margins. If they ever want to compete, they're going to need to change that.

Every other team has prospects that they're able to plug in on the 4th line if they want to. If they Flyers don't, then they've failed disastrously at scouting, drafting, and development for a long time.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They're not ready to do that.

They've made no "win now" moves, if that was the goal, they should have acquired a veteran center who was an upgrade over Laughton and Cates. They had enough assets and cap room to do so.
Agree as they don't have the cap space yet. Once they do, they will go back their spending ways.

They need a top pair D and #1 center. They don't enough to offer anyone to get that type of player.

Still cracks me up you think they are going to trade Laughton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad