NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

giphy.webp

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Puckpedia is the best I've found so far but maybe someone else knows a better one.

Yeah, I don't love Puckpedia's formatting (let us rearrange the page, and for the love of all that is holy, cut the amount of space each player's salary takes up by half; I should be able to see more than 14 lines of numbers on a desktop screen), but the data is solid, they have many of the features CapFriendly had, and are clearly ramping up to roll out more, and they seemingly want to fill that space accurately and well. (Also, their data drives Puckdoku, so that's neat.)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ugh, their formatting is pretty bad. It's like the dumb crap Google keeps doing to Chrome where they add extra white space all over the place when it's not needed.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can explain - wtf? Purely money grab? Couldn't he get solid (meaning, above AHL) money in, uhm, normal country? Scandinavia, Switzerland, Germany?

Edit: Politically speaking, this is not as bad as playing for Russian or Belarussian team, but still...
Could you imagine willingly moving to Kazakhstan?

• Wow
Reactions: kudymen and orangey

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can explain - wtf? Purely money grab? Couldn't he get solid (meaning, above AHL) money in, uhm, normal country? Scandinavia, Switzerland, Germany?

Edit: Politically speaking, this is not as bad as playing for Russian or Belarussian team, but still...
KHL teams, at least the top half of the league, should be able to outbid them easily.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Cap-Space.com is open source to, even posts his Github repo with the instructions on how to set it up and install it. Nothing stopping someone from using it and building new features and releasing there own site on top of it

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
What is this saying? What is the group he’s referring to?

Obviously he’s saying there is a low-probability cohort that Carolina is avoiding, but kind of contextless without describing the cohort.
If I'm reading the replies right, it's older players (early birthdays) in the bottom 25% of scoring.

Reactions: BernieParent

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Hmm, that’s a very vague and imprecise way to make the point. I’m sure it’s correct. Just an odd way of expressing it.

The Carolina experiment will be fascinating to look back on. Drafting is not “easy” in any one draft, but given the incredible amount of mis-pricing going on, over a long enough time horizon, it would be very, very easy to arbitrage the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad