NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
So, upon schedule release it is now official that Sabres-Devils on Friday in Prague is the season opener. Nice. @kudymen , is the ''beer in Old Town Prague'' plan still active? :D

Edit: of course, I am not insisting :)

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
So, upon schedule release it is now official that Sabres-Devils on Friday in Prague is the season opener. Nice. @kudymen , is the ''beer in Old Town Prague'' plan still active? :D

Edit: of course, I am not insisting :)

Well of course, that was never off the table! Beer plan is a must and will be happy to welcome you! haha

(a few weeks ago I was thinking about ME insisting :laugh: )

Edit - the other way around reminds me of this meme
1720174575754.png

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Landeskog is supposed to be trying to come back. There was a question that he was trying to play in the playoffs but they shut him down.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
2022 top 10 picks getting sold for great value left and right. Thankfully, Briere got out in front of this trade!

Not the biggest Savoie guy and I get they have to consolidate assets but that seems like a less than ideal trade for Buffalo. Guess the Savoie brothers are reunited.

I’m not terribly high on Savoie either, and they chose the right prospect (that's vital) to sell for NHL help. Surprised this is all they could get — and I’ve liked McLeod II since juniors — for a top 10 pick beginning his ELC. Also, I’m not sure this really moves the needle for Edmonton? Obviously, Buffalo improves today and needed some cohesion. I feel conflicted in that I don't think Edmonton really wins as much as it looks in contending, and Buffalo doesn't lose quite as much as it looks? It's not a lose-lose. It feels like a meh-meh, edge in value to Edmonton.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fantastic birthday gift I got today with the Sabres making an absolutely horrible trade.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Kinda surprised that’s the type they got back for him. Thought they’d use him plus another great prospect for a big name.
A guy that was 2 PPG in the WHL and hasn't even started his ELC. Even if he reaches the low end of his potential...hard not to see Edmonton coming out on top of this one even if it's just cost certainty. NHL GMs really do not understand that aspect of asset management.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This made me think: when was the last time the Flyers made a judgment call on a prospect before or during their ELC? Gauthier doesn't count. Obviously, I don't think this team has been in position to be selling. But there is such a thing as getting out in front of value drops and honestly re-assessing your own talent each year. You can screw that up too!

But I remember Isaac Ratcliffe was an untouchable prospect. You'd never believe it with how the Flyers think they're the smartest team, but they likely value their own prospects way too highly. Only to later tank the NHL usage/value even for the best ones. It's like the worst of both worlds, and it doesn't make sense. I call it: "The Deadhead Prospect Principle."

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This made me think: when was the last time the Flyers made a judgment call on a prospect before or during their ELC? Gauthier doesn't count. Obviously, I don't think this team has been in position to be selling. But there is such a thing as getting out in front of value drops and honestly re-assessing your own talent each year. You can screw that up too!

But I remember Isaac Ratcliffe was an untouchable prospect. You'd never believe it with how the Flyers think they're the smartest team, but they likely value their own prospects way too highly. Only to later tank the NHL usage/value even for the best ones. It's like the worst of both worlds, and it doesn't make sense. I call it: "The Deadhead Prospect Principle."

They can’t even trade aging replacement level players without getting a belly ache.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They can’t even trade aging replacement level players without getting a belly ache.

I remember Hextall demoted Laughton to the AHL for a whole year, in year 3 of his ELC, and deprived him of PP time (while being their clear cut best 5v5 player) because he didn't like his "attitude" or some shit. He needed to learn his "roll/role." So, they submarined his value as a prospect, per usual. Now, he's untouchable as a 30 year old 3rd liner who GMs aplenty covet. At a certain point, the Flyers have a moral block against creating value and selling high.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
2022 top 10 picks getting sold for great value left and right. Thankfully, Briere got out in front of this trade!

I’m not terribly high on Savoie either, and they chose the right prospect (that's vital) to sell for NHL help. Surprised this is all they could get — and I’ve liked McLeod II since juniors — for a top 10 pick beginning his ELC. Also, I’m not sure this really moves the needle for Edmonton? Obviously, Buffalo improves today and needed some cohesion. I feel conflicted in that I don't think Edmonton really wins as much as it looks in contending, and Buffalo doesn't lose quite as much as it looks? It's not a lose-lose. It feels like a meh-meh, edge in value to Edmonton.
Savoie for Laughton. Now the Oilers have a asset to dangle if need be for immediate help at some point.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A guy that was 2 PPG in the WHL and hasn't even started his ELC. Even if he reaches the low end of his potential...hard not to see Edmonton coming out on top of this one even if it's just cost certainty. NHL GMs really do not understand that aspect of asset management.
Adams was offering him to everyone he talked to and this was the best he could do. What does that tell you about how much everyone in the league values Savoie? This is in some respects a version of the Nino for Clutterbuck trade where a team gave up a prospect with higher skill and ceiling but the guy they got back was far more valuable by filling a role.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Adams was offering him to everyone he talked to and this was the best he could do. What does that tell you about how much everyone in the league values Savoie? This is in some respects a version of the Nino for Clutterbuck trade where a team gave up a prospect with higher skill and ceiling but the guy they got back was far more valuable by filling a role.

I mean... the Wild won that trade... my brother is a Wild fan and while he loved Clutterbuck I dont think many Wild fans think they lost that one.

One of Chuck Fletcher finer moments.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Adams was offering him to everyone he talked to and this was the best he could do. What does that tell you about how much everyone in the league values Savoie?

As we saw with Gauthier, undoubtedly higher valued than Savoie (note: unsigned but with a hardly restrictive 20 team list), I don't think you can take that at face value. Savoie was rated 9th by McKenzie and hasn't done anything to lower his value in 2 years. Sometimes GMs simply make a self-limiting choice to plug an NHL hole.

I also think McLeod is better than Clutterbuck.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
As we saw with Gauthier, undoubtedly higher valued than Savoie (note: unsigned but with a hardly restrictive 20 team list), I don't think you can take that at face value. Savoie was rated 9th by McKenzie and hasn't done anything to lower his value in 2 years. Sometimes GMs simply make a self-limiting choice to plug an NHL hole.

I also think McLeod is better than Clutterbuck.

Savoie has less value as he is 175cm tall. That is it tbh.

He is 20 and looked great in the AHL.

He for sure has flaws... but his trajectory is basically "very likely to be a 2nd liner at worst" with a solid chance of being a 70+ point guy.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I mean... the Wild won that trade... my brother is a Wild fan and while he loved Clutterbuck I dont think many Wild fans think they lost that one.

One of Chuck Fletcher finer moments.
Clutter was incredibly valuable to the Islanders as part of the MC2 line that was instrumental to their success. A piece by itself might not be as valuable but if it fits it's incredibly valuable. Clutter ended up being a perfect fit.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Clutter was incredibly valuable to the Islanders as part of the MC2 line that was instrumental to their success. A piece by itself might not be as valuable but if it fits it's incredibly valuable. Clutter ended up being a perfect fit.

He was a great 4th liner and passable 3rd liner. Yay. On a team that did very little over ten years despite trying to compete, because they only had 1x high end talent for a long time.

Islanders in the 2010s were a great example of how not to build a team.

I actually enjoyed a lot of their bottom six guys a LOT... Clutterbuck, Martin, Cizikas, Chimera... but they leant so hard into the "character" of their team instead of just getting actual good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad