NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Lavi has been leaning towards positionless forwards for ages now. Hartnell and Briere swapping positions when he was here, and in Washington he shifted his left wing lock to just a wing lock, where the weak side winger was meant to take defensive duties. In practice it was often just "weakest side forward." Winger, center, whoever. By the time Lavi departed us I would never have expected to find watching his team's backcheck to be the most interesting thing.

Gimme some of that
Soccer is too hard to work but it can work even there if the players have hustle. Hockey for sure could work. Get a bunch of smart fast players. The modern NHL would bend the knee imo

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That Schmidt move is a shrewd piece of business. Winning has its advantages.

Everyone remember when this was Briere when Marc Staal "chose" to sign here?

yK7l2Mb.gif

As we've seen with Johnson also "choosing" them, Flyers brand still has value.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Still doesn’t seem real that he was used as a top 4 dman that one year by Hak.
Was it really only one year? Felt like forever.

I cannot believe how many of these contracts have NTCs and NMCs. No other sport does this.

Between this and the trading for UFAs thing, it’s just so damn difficult to give most of these front offices much credit.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's just one more byproduct of the insular nature of hockey "culture". If you told me meetings between NHL higher-ups played out the way they do on Shoresy I would not be shocked.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Joel Edmundson somehow even got trade protection in his deal. Granted the deal in it’s self is basically trade protection in reality but that’s still wild nonetheless. :laugh:
Rob Blake is pretty much a cornered animal right now. No way he lasts much longer in LA... but given that his buddy Luc has a lot of sway and the Kings have a hell of an old boys club of their own, who knows. LA fans hate the two of them as much as we hate the Bullies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Soccer is too hard to work but it can work even there if the players have hustle. Hockey for sure could work. Get a bunch of smart fast players. The modern NHL would bend the knee imo

It doesn't even necessarily have to be the whole lineup. If you've got 5 guys who can make it work, there's a single unit

Yeah it's complicated but I'm confident if everyone tries hard it can be done.

Reactions: TheKingPin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If I had to guess, I'd say it's just one more byproduct of the insular nature of hockey "culture". If you told me meetings between NHL higher-ups played out the way they do on Shoresy I would not be shocked.

Sure could be, but the difference is absolutely hilarious. Most of the guys in MLB that have it get it because of the 10-and-5 rule. Less than 10 NFL players have one. There are weird corner cases where guys get them for one year for various reasons, but there have been 10 full NTCs in the entire history of the NBA. 9 were HoFers.

Or to put it another way, more NHLers have trade control than players from MLB, the NFL, and the NBA combined.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If the Flyers had any damn sense (and they don't) they would offer oodles of money to departments that don't involve on ice production directly. Paying someone like Tulsky to walk away from his job for example or getting more scouts. Personally i'd make Tulsky shave his head because that head of hair is Medusa levels of bad. But no....... they need to keep Lappy around ffs.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
If the Flyers had any damn sense (and they don't) they would offer oodles of money to departments that don't involve on ice production directly. Paying someone like Tulsky to walk away from his job for example or getting more scouts. Personally i'd make Tulsky shave his head because that head of hair is Medusa levels of bad. But no....... they need to keep Lappy around ffs.
wait till they create a position for Emporer Torts to move upstairs..

#Buckle in

Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad