NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Edit: Re-signing Erik Johnson is a move I dislike but at least the Flyers didn't do anything majorly stupid today.
IMG_8472.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
They will be ~90 points again, you can almost write that in stone.
I doubt this. Teams such as NJ, Buffalo, and others who were at the same level as the Flyers last season have improved. The Flyers have not. One can not rely on injuries or poor coaching by opponents to elevate them in the standings. Teams usually start the next season in the manner that they finished the last one. AIR, the last dozen or so Flyers games were badly played.
The Flyers are a very fragile club. If they falter, Tortorella will do his usual burn it to the ground act and blame the players for his failures. He’s done this each of the last two seasons as he did in Vancouver and with the Rangers. Mitchkov aside, it’s not going to be a good season.

Reactions: BernieParent

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Perhaps it’s the optimist in me, but I can envision a plausible (but still unlikely) scenario where they are a playoff team next year. The three biggest factors are:

1) Sanheim-York: Are they a bona fide top pair? Does York take another step forward? They’ll be competitive most nights if they can handle ~25-26 minutes a game of generally average top pair performance.

2) Goaltending: If Errson/Fedotov can split the load (or if Kolosov emerges as a viable NHL goaltender), they should remain competitive. If not, the bottom could fall out.

3) PP: If it’s any better than historically-awful *and* the above are true, they will probably be a playoff team.

Drysdale and Frost showing meaningful improvement are also factors. We can laugh about Frost getting the opportunities, but I’m not sure Tortorella will have a choice next year. Michkov will need a skilled line mate. It feels like Frost is poised for a break out season.

But if those three conditions are met, I give them better than even odds at making the playoffs.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers are a very fragile club. If they falter, Tortorella will do his usual burn it to the ground act and blame the players for his failures. He’s done this each of the last two seasons as he did in Vancouver and with the Rangers. Mitchkov aside, it’s not going to be a good season.
Yeah and unlike his previous stops the management group will agree with Torts that it was the players fault. They are running this group back again sans Michkov.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lots of drama in New York. I would love to help the Rangers and Troubas out for a hefty price.

I don't know that Philly is close enough to suit their needs, it feels like they're really looking to end up with the Isles or Devils if he's moved so that he can be home with their kid while she's at work, but I would absolutely do something like Ristolainen and Johansen for Trouba and a prospect or a future third. We save a million bucks actual cash this year (we would have to figure out what to do since we can't LTIR Trouba like we could RyJo), get rid of the Johansen problem, and while we're on the hook for an extra $3M next year, we save $5M in 26-27. (and maybe more, because it sounds like Trouba's "can't leave New York" problem goes away after one more year, so maybe we can trade him to Detroit in 25-26.)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They need to find a Center coach and get to work. Positions are kind of dumb anyway at this point. Faceoffs aren’t as important as originally thought. Just hustle back and then play your game with skill. Makes position based drafting that much more dumb

Lavi has been leaning towards positionless forwards for ages now. Hartnell and Briere swapping positions when he was here, and in Washington he shifted his left wing lock to just a wing lock, where the weak side winger was meant to take defensive duties. In practice it was often just "weakest side forward." Winger, center, whoever. By the time Lavi departed us I would never have expected to find watching his team's backcheck to be the most interesting thing.

Gimme some of that

Reactions: TheKingPin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad