News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Top 2 highest AVV UFA players come off the board potentially allowing BT to decide how to allocate nearly $22 mil and the core 4 is done and no NMC standing in the way.

View attachment 893055
Ranta and Leon most likely resign with their teams. Even so, with Willie at $11.5m, what elite UFA is coming here for less than Willie? Hell even JT who wanted to come home, milked the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Their 57 goal man is not signed until July 1 after winning a SC and scoring the winner in game #7 and gets a couple of million dollars raise. Our 40 goal winger who shows up when he feels like it gets a 67% raise at his peak and then goes back to the same PPG players for the rest of the year.

One team is a winner - one team is a loser.
I mean it’s so tiring not seeing mgmt even try to fix the core, there’s no future until that problem is dealt with. I like that the D has been addressed, hopefully thise moves wirk out, but I know this team won’t excel in the playoffs if the cord isn’t addressed…….

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Ranta and Leon most likely resign with their teams. Even so, with Willie at $11.5m, what elite UFA is coming here for less than Willie? Hell even JT who wanted to come home, milked the Leafs.
Just like Vancouver you don’t need a bunch of high paid guys to turn it around. Solid from D, F and G and depth scoring. That’s where that extra money comes in

I’m just using the Canucks as an example because they did a fairly quick 180 when JR arrived

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Leafs - 3 super elite stars - 0 Cups - 1 and 8 in playoffs
Panthers - 0 super elite stars - 1 Pres Trophy - 1 SCF - 1 SC Win
Vegas - 0 super elite stars - 1 SCF - 1 SC Win

Both Panthers and Golden Knights were heavy teams who had no huge drop off in talent. Further proof you cannot win with 3 soft, highly paid players surrounded by MEH players like Kampf, Jarnkrok, Dewar, and Gregor, let alone with a 4th making $11m but playing like a $2m player in the playoffs, at best.
Barkov and Eichel?

Reactions: saffronleaf

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just like Vancouver you don’t need a bunch of high paid guys to turn it around. Solid from D, F and G and depth scoring. That’s where that extra money comes in

I’m just using the Canucks as an example because they did a fairly quick 180 when JR
I'd also add Dallas, NYR, NJ, Carolina and Winnipeg.

Here's hoping Berube can do for us what Tocchet did for Vancouver.

Reactions: The Shadow

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1720383657587.png

Everything is on the table has basically come down to shuffling some chairs on defense and changing Keefe for Berube, totally sounds like everything was on the table 🙃

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's like the other toronto teams. Raptors failed to realize the run was over, despite it being very obvious, and now there's longer term pain.

The jays are trash but will likely not sell because of the renos. Awful situation.

And the leafs just keep running it back, despite it being abundantly clear that this core is unable to get it done.

It's getting pretty bad in Toronto.

The common denominator here is Rogers in the ownership group.

Stopper420

Feb 24, 2015
Leafs - 3 super elite stars - 0 Cups - 1 and 8 in playoffs
Panthers - 0 super elite stars - 1 Pres Trophy - 1 SCF - 1 SC Win
Vegas - 0 super elite stars - 1 SCF - 1 SC Win

Both Panthers and Golden Knights were heavy teams who had no huge drop off in talent. Further proof you cannot win with 3 soft, highly paid players surrounded by MEH players like Kampf, Jarnkrok, Dewar, and Gregor, let alone with a 4th making $11m but playing like a $2m player in the playoffs, at best.
Florida didn’t need elite players but don’t forget they have a stud goalie and elk bald who was a first overall defenceman now at 26.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Florida didn’t need elite players but don’t forget they have a stud goalie and elk bald who was a first overall defenceman now at 26.

Forsling is better than Ekblad

1st overall is less relevant as time goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad