Mirtle: End is near for Hyman in Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
It will badly hurt to lose him, but quite honestly if he isn't willing to give us a sizeable discount it's not within the best interests of the team to re-sign him. Paying 5.5+ million for ages ~29-34 Zach Hyman likely won't be a worthwhile investment.

This is a big offseason, and with Kerfoot most likely taken in expansion as well as Andersen/Hyman gone there will be money available. Management has to do a better job at finding depth forwards to surround the core than they did last offseason.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Let me know when Dubas is up
upload_2021-6-16_11-31-22.jpeg

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Will always like Hyman, and if he leaves I'll be sad. But the Leafs could have 20 mil in extra capspace this offseason and I wouldn't want to give him that type of contract.

His playing style is visibly taking a toll in his body. Two seasons/playoffs in a row he's looked run down by the end of them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Letting Hyman go is a good cap decision and whomever getting him at an overpayment is at risk of a Okposo, Ladd, Clarkson style decline as he enters his early 30s.

But it also be true that the Leafs are bleeding out character players and culture with no suitable in house replacement and it’s a question whether or not they can get a younger, cheaper replacement. The idea of an upgrade seems like a long shot.

The Leafs are at a dead end and I wouldn’t be surprised if they took a few steps back next season and could really miss the playoffs unless a lot of restructuring happens.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I don't have an issue with Tavares as a UFA signing...him and Matthews make a solid one-two punch down the middle as they are centres...but overpaying RFAs and RFA wingers for that kind of money is ridiculous.

I like Tavares as well, but his signing was not necessary, and certainly not at $11M. The snowball effect has been, and continues to be, crippling.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Letting Hyman go is a good cap decision and whomever getting him at an overpayment is at risk of a Okposo, Ladd, Clarkson style decline as he enters his early 30s.

But it also be true that the Leafs are bleeding out character players and culture with no suitable in house replacement and it’s a question whether or not they can get a younger, cheaper replacement. The idea of an upgrade seems like a long shot.

The Leafs are at a dead end and I wouldn’t be surprised if they took a few steps back next season and could really miss the playoffs unless a lot of restructuring happens.
Yep, cap wise makes sense with our terrible predicament. But, the bottom line is the team is worse off without him, I doubt you’re finding a status quo or upgrade for 2.25 mil in cap space, and there is no in house replacement. So, we can comfort ourselves thinking whomever signs him over pays, but that doesn’t detract from the point, we’re worse when he leaves.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Hyman makes whatever line he is on better and is the only player on this roster who never takes a shift off.

Hard worker and high character. Of course the Leafs will let him walk. Would you expect anything else?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

The problem is not avoiding overpayment, there just isn’t anything in the pipeline to replace the Kadris/Johnson’s/Kaps/Hymans/etc.

The core is suspect IMO are we are living off UFA shopping and high picks to support that.

Reactions: ToneDog

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
My post from February 15th, 2021:

I would trade Hyman if we got a good return for him. I think he'll be too expensive to resign. And with Thornton, Simmonds, and Robertson... I think we can spare Hyman when they're all back in the lineup.

I do like Hyman now... but I think we could live without him if we got a good return. I certainly don't want to pay him $4+ million to resign him. Someone might even pay him more than $5 million. So I would trade him now while he has value and get a nice return, rather than lose him for nothing next year.

If the Leafs were to trade anyone on the roster right now, who is on the block?

Reactions: IPS and DarkKnight

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I like Tavares as well, but his signing was not necessary, and certainly not at $11M. The snowball effect has been, and continues to be, crippling.

If you had the choice today, would you rather sign JT for 4 x 11 (his remaining term) or Hyman for 6 x 6 ?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Love Hyman. But unfortunately, times do come when you have to move on from certain players
Will love him around $3.5 to 4.5 million
But beyond that, that will be too much

He brings something this team lacks, tenacity. But that alone can't get you top 6 minutes.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
you guys talk about bad contracts and then want Hyman who had 1 pt in 7 playoff games, had a pretty decent injury and didnt even look that good returning from said injury? Is this a video game like the older folks say? why invest long term in that?

Because this board is overrun by Dubas and Shanahan haters atm. They would rather be right than have a good team.

They could not sign Hyman and there will be outrage

They could sign him and the same people will be upset for the opposite reason

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Rangers signed Panarin for 11.6m AAV. Are they in cap hell or is somebody over there capable of not shooting himself in the face by giving in to a greedy winger ??

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The problem is not avoiding overpayment, there just isn’t anything in the pipeline to replace the Kadris/Johnson’s/Kaps/Hymans/etc.

The core is suspect IMO are we are living off UFA shopping and high picks to support that.
And the pipeline is about to go dry, these lack of picks are going to catch up with us in a couple years. Every which way you look, the future is challenging.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It's downhill from here. This year was our best chance, cap wise and division wise. We are f***ed lol. Sucks to see Hyman go but we knew it was coming. Someone give me a reason to be optimistic for next year please.

How about you wait to see what we do in the off season before whining about next years team?

This board is unreadable these days.

We still have talent on the roster and we’ll have like 15-20M in cap space this summer. We could see a way different team next season.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
It's downhill from here. This year was our best chance, cap wise and division wise. We are f***ed lol. Sucks to see Hyman go but we knew it was coming. Someone give me a reason to be optimistic for next year please.
A good reason to be optimistic about next year is that covid is hopefully done and we can do stuff other than watch this team.

Reg season means nothing and I don't know if we even make the playoffs next year. How could this team possibly be confident after that playoff disaster??

If you told me 5 years ago this is where we would be.....yikes.

Babs was right, there will be pain

Reactions: rumman

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How about you wait to see what we do in the off season before whining about next years team?

This board is unreadable these days.

We still have talent on the roster and we’ll have like 15-20M in cap space this summer. We could see a way different team next season.

That makes me feel a little better

Reactions: Kurtz

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Because this board is overrun by Dubas and Shanahan haters atm. They would rather be right than have a good team.

They could not sign Hyman and there will be outrage

They could sign him and the same people will be upset for the opposite reason
That’s just silly, rather than debate the predicament you’re actually saying people want us to fail. Ya okay, I felt great after Game 7. Bullocks. We failed, there are consequences.

Reactions: LeafsRus and rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad