Rumor: Mirtle and Seigel: Offers for Matt Roy could reach 6 million AAV, Leafs interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Staios plz

e717676d-d60c-467e-b324-fd11aee75bea_text.gif

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I’d be happy to have him at 6…better spent on him than Domi or Bertuzzi

And we’d still need to sign another d from that tier at similar money.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Not really if it’s longer term the cap going up makes it much more attractive in years 2, 3 and 4.

A lot of people don’t get this concept and a salary like Nylander’s will look like a steal not long from now if he continues at his current level of play or even dips a bit.
In what reality will 11M+ ever look like a steal lol

Cap isn't about to double here in 5 years.

Reactions: Regal

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Dumbass Blake should have traded Roy at the deadline.

I like Roy, he does quite a few things really well, but man, some fans are going to lose their shit when their $6 million dollar defenseman is just clueless in front of his own net while not generating any offense

Last edited:
Reactions: Reaper45

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
With the cap savings from the PLD trade LA has cap to resign Roy (on a hometown contract) , if he is looking for more he'll have to move on, would any team trade a 3-4 round pick to get a jump and be able to offer an 8 year?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
With the cap savings from the PLD trade LA has cap to resign Roy (on a hometown contract) , if he is looking for more he'll have to move on, would any team trade a 3-4 round pick to get a jump and be able to offer an 8 year?
I think 8 year contract can only be done with the team that the player was at the TDL, it changed couple of years ago.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I’m still pissed LA didn’t trade him at the deadline. Obviously they were a first round exit in the playoffs and Spence and Clarke ready to play big roles. Blake being a dumbass per usual.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm sorry, but as a Flames fan I can say that a lot of smoke with fire absolutely nowhere to be seen is what Tre is all about.

For a while I was excited that Tre always seemed to work the phones to make big trades or UFA signings, but realized later that in the end he just ended up trading 3rd round pick for a bottom pairing D at the deadline.

But he doesn't really have a choice here.

He has to get 2 D men

He's got 2 top 6 forwards potentially walking out the door in Domi and Bertuzzi

plus He only has 1 goalie under contract and Joseph Woll, while extremely talented is also extremely injury prone.

He has to do something

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Roy would be the best right shot dman the Leafs have had in the Matthews era... Sad to say. But a guy who can skate and can move the puck better than just putting it off the boards and out on the right side is a good fit for us.

Would likely make a 2nd pair with McCabe which would be likely our shutdown pair again. Not sure how physical he is but McCabe is very physical so might be a good fit there.

Would still need a guy to play with Rielly (Tanev maybe?). Could potentially let Domi and Bertuzzi walk, sign both of those guys, and still have 10-11M left for a 1B goalie and a forward.
The Leafs have $18.9M available.

Signing Roy at $6M would leave them at $12.9M with 2-3 forwards, 1-2 dmen and 1 goalie to sign.

How would signing Tanev leave them with $10-11M?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Leafs have $18.9M available.

Signing Roy at $6M would leave them at $12.9M with 2-3 forwards, 1-2 dmen and 1 goalie to sign.

How would signing Tanev leave them with $10-11M?

I think they would give term to Tanev and get him around 4x5 with the intention of LTIRetirement near the end. So 10M for those two dmen.

Leafs are going to go prospect heavy up front this season. Likely the core 4 (unless a random Marner trade happens) and all inexperienced guys. McMann, Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten, Holmberg playing key roles. I think they move Kampf and sign Dewar cheaper.

Those moves and a 21 man roster should let them add a goalie and a more vet forward (or another dman if we find a lot of fits)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad