Minnesota Wild General Discussion 2024-25

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't know what the best linemate site is anymore since NaturalStatTrick is now a pay site, so I can't really check the Nashville and LA time.

I use Frozen Tools, which seems accurate enough, but it's no NST

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Would love to have Fiala back again as I think he’s still got a lot of good years ahead of him. having 3 players that can drive lines on their own would be nice. Kaprizov-Rossi, Boldy-Ek, Fiala-Yurov would seem to suffice as 3 scoring lines. Foligno-anyone-Trenin would be a legitimate 4th line. Problem is I can’t make the math work.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Would love to have Fiala back again as I think he’s still got a lot of good years ahead of him. having 3 players that can drive lines on their own would be nice. Kaprizov-Rossi, Boldy-Ek, Fiala-Yurov would seem to suffice as 3 scoring lines. Foligno-anyone-Trenin would be a legitimate 4th line. Problem is I can’t make the math work.
If it was done this summer:

Kaprizov (9) - Yurov (.925) - Zuccarello (4.125)
Boldy (7) - Rossi (?) - Fiala (7.875)
Ohgren (.887) - Eriksson Ek (5.25) - Hartman (4)
Foligno (4) - Khusnuts (?) - Trenin (3.5)
Gaudreau (2.1)
Parise (.833)

Brodin (6) - Faber (8.5)
Middleton (4.35) - Spurgeon (7.575)
Buium (.925) - Bogosian (1.25)
Whoever (.9)
Suter (.833)

Gustavsson (3.75)
Wallstedt (2)

Total ~$84.8M
Cap ~$92.5M
Space ~$7.8M

Problem is, Guerin probably doesn't want him back and Fiala probably doesn't want to come back (and he has a full NMC through next year).

He's priced pretty much perfectly to be a 2nd line driver behind a 1st line star.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’d much rather go after Rasmus Andersson than Fiala.

Brodin-Andersson
Buium-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon

Best blueline in the league with a bunch of prospects on the way to fill out the Top 9 up front.

Fiala got us Faber. Be grateful for that, and let go. He’s not coming back. He and Guerin both have massive egos and neither will allow it to happen

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd take Fiala, but it all depends on the cost. Ohgren, a cap dump(or two)to make the deal work, and a first(lottery protected) I'd do. The way that BG has handed out NMC's and NTC's he has severely limited the ability of this team to make such a move, at least till the summer when the cap penalties are mostly gone.

Fiala seems to get criticized for his flaws, as if other high end offensive players(i.e. Kane, Panarin) don't do the exact same things. They also seem to want to ignore his strengths, which are hard to find. His speed and skill paired are extraordinary. He isn't at the top of the "skill mountain" that Kucherov, Kap, and a few others live on, but he is close, and also isn't paid like it. He is locked up at under 8M long term, while Kap is expected to get 13M or so on his next contract. In a cap league, that really matters.

It's all fantasy at this point. BG doesn't want him back, and Blake wouldn't trade him back to us, opening himself up to further criticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweetnut

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If it was done this summer:

Kaprizov (9) - Yurov (.925) - Zuccarello (4.125)
Boldy (7) - Rossi (?) - Fiala (7.875)
Ohgren (.887) - Eriksson Ek (5.25) - Hartman (4)
Foligno (4) - Khusnuts (?) - Trenin (3.5)
Gaudreau (2.1)
Parise (.833)

Brodin (6) - Faber (8.5)
Middleton (4.35) - Spurgeon (7.575)
Buium (.925) - Bogosian (1.25)
Whoever (.9)
Suter (.833)

Gustavsson (3.75)
Wallstedt (2)

Total ~$84.8M
Cap ~$92.5M
Space ~$7.8M

Problem is, Guerin probably doesn't want him back and Fiala probably doesn't want to come back (and he has a full NMC through next year).

He's priced pretty much perfectly to be a 2nd line driver behind a 1st line star.
Next year isn’t the problem, it’s more when we make Kaprizov the highest paid player in NHL history that’s going to get us

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Next year isn’t the problem, it’s more when we make Kaprizov the highest paid player in NHL history that’s going to get us
We have Faber, JEE, Brodin & Boldy locked up at a combined ~$28M. We will be fine if Guerin doesn’t offer any (more) absurd extensions to veteran role-players

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Rumor on the street is cap should go up quite a bit in the next few years so I think it could work, especially if you could dump a player like Trenin or Middleton.

Of course this is all a for-fun hypothetical because Guerin would never bring Fiala back and I can't imagine Fiala would fancy a reunion with Guerin either.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rumor on the street is cap should go up quite a bit in the next few years so I think it could work, especially if you could dump a player like Trenin or Middleton.

Of course this is all a for-fun hypothetical because Guerin would never bring Fiala back and I can't imagine Fiala would fancy a reunion with Guerin either.
Agreed, but I think that Fifi would be thrilled to be playing with Boldy again, or Boldy and JEE.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Can't get over the fact that Trenin makes 4 million this year. Last season he was paid 1.7 and Billy G raised it to 4 M.
(His cap hit is 3.5)

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Can't get over the fact that Trenin makes 4 million this year. Last season he was paid 1.7 and Billy G raised it to 4 M.
(His cap hit is 3.5)
Agreed... big time thumbs down to Trenin signing. Hopefully there's more to come with him as the season progresses. Not seeing much of anything at the moment.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Agreed... big time thumbs down to Trenin signing. Hopefully there's more to come with him as the season progresses. Not seeing much of anything at the moment.
He is overpaid but was much needed. He and healthy Foligno add toughness and physicality while Lauko & Marat bring speed. Light years ahead of the Lucchini, Letteiri types we used last year in the bottom 6

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Same here. The big question mark is how much Rossi will get on an extension, if Guerin even extends him...
50+ points this year (and good all-around play) is probably looking at $6.5M to $7.5M I'd think. Byfield just signed for $6.25M per year after a 55 point season, Jarvis got $7.4M after a 30+ goal, 60+ point season, Lafreniere still to come.

That's all longer term though. I wouldn't be opposed to a bridge in Rossi's case, to keep it down until after Spurgeon expires, Kaprizov is figured out, and we get a couple years look at Buium, Yurov and Wallstedt in the NHL.

Edit: 2-3 years x ~$5M sounds good to me.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
50+ points this year (and good all-around play) is probably looking at $6.5M to $7.5M I'd think. Byfield just signed for $6.25M per year after a 55 point season, Jarvis got $7.4M after a 30+ goal, 60+ point season, Lafreniere still to come.

That's all longer term though. I wouldn't be opposed to a bridge in Rossi's case, to keep it down until after Spurgeon expires, Kaprizov is figured out, and we get a couple years look at Buium, Yurov and Wallstedt in the NHL.

Edit: 2-3 years x ~$5M sounds good to me.
If he is next to Kaprizov all year, 50 points would be really bad. I'm expecting 65+ points unless he is dropped in the lineup.

2 x $5-6M might work for a bridge in that case. I'm not sure there is a valid argument that Rossi can make to be worth more than Boldy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If he is next to Kaprizov all year, 50 points would be really bad. I'm expecting 65+ points unless he is dropped in the lineup.

2 x $5-6M might work for a bridge in that case. I'm not sure there is a valid argument that Rossi can make to be worth more than Boldy.
I'm not counting on anybody being next to anybody all year, except Kap and Zucc.

Remember, he isn't on the #1 PP unit when we're fully healthy, and we haven't been great at even strength scoring the last couple of years. Kaprizov himself only had 55 ES points last year.

So, ~45 ES points and maybe ~10 PP points is what I'm targeting unless something major changes (they put him on the #1 PP or they swap Boldy and Zuccarello).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad