Minnesota Wild General Discussion 2024-25

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
WTF is up with the opening month's schedule? 2 games at home, then a 7 game roadtrip.
Important to win the opener vs Columbus and the next game vs Kraken. That's doable.
Then travel to Winnipeg, St Louis, Columbus, Florida (Cats and Bolts), Pittsburgh and finally Philly.
Can they win 2 of those games and maybe get a losing point in another?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Surprising, to me. If true, this sends a hopeful message to the younger players that there are spots to be had on the team.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
This is seemingly a very goofy signing
I find goofy in a good way. If I was Wally's agent, I would have done everything in my power to have him play out the season. At bare minimum he would have got 2mil AAV for 2 years.

But add in a season where he very plausibly could outplayed Gus and Fluery. Maybe play 35 games. And already annoited as goalie of the future, he could easily command 3mil aav.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But add in a season where he very plausibly could outplayed Gus and Fluery. Maybe play 35 games. And already annoited as goalie of the future,

I guess it depends on how likely you think this is. If you think it's a given, it's a good deal, saves some money in the short term, and kicks the BIG extension down the road after Kaprizov is taken care of.

If you don't think it's likely to happen, you're just kinda giving him slightly more money than he would otherwise make.

I never claimed this would be a detriment in any way, just to be clear (you didn't accuse me, I just wanna get ahead of it), it's just a little weird if you don't believe the former to be the most likely outcome.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I guess it depends on how likely you think this is. If you think it's a given, it's a good deal, saves some money in the short term, and kicks the BIG extension down the road after Kaprizov is taken care of.

If you don't think it's likely to happen, you're just kinda giving him slightly more money than he would otherwise make.

I never claimed this would be a detriment in any way, just to be clear (you didn't accuse me, I just wanna get ahead of it), it's just a little weird if you don't believe the former to be the most likely outcome.
Fair enough but the bolded is why I'm in a good place about this. Not the fact that the high end is a given but rather then low end or below expected is a given. He was going to make this amount anyways, so why not maximum the upside at the same time

Even he repeated his last year, which statistically was good but not great, play only 10 NHL games, he would still demand bare minimum 2mil aav for 2 years.

So overpay by 200k (if it even is an overpay with raising salary cap and departure of Flower) or save 800k-1mil. Benefits easily outweigh.

Honestly Wally should have waited. His camp had all the negotiating leverage unless he really craps the bed, which I doubt.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even he repeated his last year, which statistically was good but not great, play only 10 NHL games, he would still demand bare minimum 2mil aav for 2 years.

I'm not sure this is true

Honestly Wally should have waited. His camp had all the negotiating leverage unless he really craps the bed, which I doubt.

And I think Wallstedt's camp being eager to sign it "proves" that

But again, probably not going to be an issue, I think he'll be above the worst case scenario, below the best case scenario, and ultimately it's probably going to be negligible in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad