Minnesota Wild General Discussion 2024-25

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If you listen to that Guerin interview he basically said that Gus isn't going anywhere. GM probably doesn't think Wallstedt is ready for the NHL yet. Didn't help when he got his debut against Dallas and lost 7-1 or whatever. Poor kid.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I don't know if it's gonna matter because I'm pretty sure Kaprizov is gonna take one look at all the money being dumped into shit players and split
Guerin doesn’t deserve any more leash, he has blown it on so many levels it’s just time to move on. He is obsessed with overpaying scrubs

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
If you listen to that Guerin interview he basically said that Gus isn't going anywhere. GM probably doesn't think Wallstedt is ready for the NHL yet. Didn't help when he got his debut against Dallas and lost 7-1 or whatever. Poor kid.
Hopefully BG realizes that that game was mostly on the coach. Wally should never have been thrown in for that one. And he responded better after it. But who the @#$! knows what our GM is thinking at this point........

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Hopefully BG realizes that that game was mostly on the coach. Wally should never have been thrown in for that one. And he responded better after it. But who the @#$! knows what our GM is thinking at this point........
They are in our division, it was not all on him, we routinely get burned by them, but its still a sign that he was not ready to take over as a guaranteed starter.

If we move Gus, and Wallstedt hits any kind of lull, as very young goalies are often doing, then Fleury is our default starter and the season may as well be a punt even with an otherwise healthy roster.

Reactions: NHL1674

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I actually interpreted this very differently, to me, it sounded like Hynes favored keeping the Boldy line together but was just pandering to Russo directly posing lines at him. He said all options were on the table, but he specifically mentioned the Kap - JEE - Boldy line as carrying the team and finding a playing partner for Rossi - Zucc, he linked those two and Boldy - JEE together specifically in any event. I think that was more Russo putting words in his mouth than anything definitive.

Both Kaprizov and Zuccarello probably had something to say during the exit meetings that may have changed management's view on things.

If Kaprizov wants to play with Zuccarello, his best buddy here, they shouldn't ignore that. Kaprizov's had more success playing with him than with any other player on this team, and Zucc is still capable of top line duty. It's also about keeping Kaprizov happy.

Guerin changed his mind about signing top 6 winger and focused on a gritty PK-guy instead. It's interesting...coincidence?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And THAT should result with automatic walking papers for Billy.

That would be the only silver lining to Kaprizov walking, but I would prefer Guerin leaves under happier circumstances

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The market (if there ever was one) for Gus is gone, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Wally will be the starter in the AHL again and stay there until an injury or trade to MAF/Gus happens. Carrying a pressbox goalie during the season is roster mismanagement by the GM.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The market (if there ever was one) for Gus is gone, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Wally will be the starter in the AHL again and stay there until an injury or trade to MAF/Gus happens. Carrying a pressbox goalie during the season is roster mismanagement by the GM.
Injuries are bound to happen when carrying an old goaltender.

We could also sell Gus at the trade deadline if his value rebounds.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Injuries are bound to happen when carrying an old goaltender.

We could also sell Gus at the trade deadline if his value rebounds.

If his value rebounds then you keep him and Run Gus/Wally the 25/26 season. If he doesn't rebound you're stuck with him and running Gus/Wally the 25/26 season. Either way we'll be getting a very untested rookie goalie in Wally for the 25/26 season.

One of Gus or MAF needed to be gone going into next season to get Wally a good sample size to see what is needed for the 25/26 season.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I still think McGroarty might be the answer for the 2LW spot. 2025 1st+prospect(s) for McGroarty. Waive Johansson.

Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Boldy
McGroarty-Rossi-Zucc
Ohgren-Hartman-Foligno
Trenin-Khusnutdinov-Gaudreau

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Spurgeon
Chisholm-Bogosian

Gus
Fleury

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
No way you can trade the 2025 first round pick looking around the division, see what teams did so far this offseason, and know where Colorado and Dallas are. At this point the Wild are positioned to be at or fighting to stay out of the bottom spot.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No way you can trade the 2025 first round pick looking around the division, see what teams did so far this offseason, and know where Colorado and Dallas are. At this point the Wild are positioned to be at or fighting to stay out of the bottom spot.
Slap top 10 protection on it and it will be fine.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Then I hope it backfires. I hope moving Gus and/or Rossi blows up big time in BG's face and will get us one step closer to getting rid of him.

Wait and see what Gus does for a few months this season before moving him.
100% agree to the bolded being the end-result of everything. I truly don’t think we’re better at any level of the ice since he came in and I’ve been a massive hater for years. I’d become a real fan again if I had any confidence in the team or the plan going forward but I have zero right now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
100% agree to the bolded being the end-result of everything. I truly don’t think we’re better at any level of the ice since he came in and I’ve been a massive hater for years. I’d become a real fan again if I had any confidence in the team or the plan going forward but I have zero right now.

The goalies are at least equal, but I'll give GMBG a little better because of Wally. MAF/Gus was just as bad as the Dub/Stalock combo he was given. Wally is a better prospect than Kahk was.

Kap's contract ending in the KHL when GMBG was in charge is the only thing that has kept him in his GM seat this long.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
The goalies are at least equal, but I'll give GMBG a little better because of Wally. MAF/Gus was just as bad as the Dub/Stalock combo he was given. Wally is a better prospect than Kahk was.

Kap's contract ending in the KHL when GMBG was in charge is the only thing that has kept him in his GM seat this long.
Goalies are fair, no argument here.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
How did we go from breaking up the country club and prioritizing getting younger and faster to handing out trade protection to anyone who can be considered to have grit. Skill and speed be damned?

I think there is some merit to the idea that nobody wants to play for this idiot and we are going to see that manifest itself fully when Kap leaves for nothing.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Russo on Worst Seats mentioned that Guerin said they only have $500k in cap space, which scared Russo because they in reality have ~ $2.5M in space and he’s wondering if Chisholm might be getting freaking ~$2M or so of that. Did anyone else listen and get that impression from what he said?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Russo on Worst Seats mentioned that Guerin said they only have $500k in cap space, which scared Russo because they in reality have ~ $2.5M in space and he’s wondering if Chisholm might be getting freaking ~$2M or so of that. Did anyone else listen and get that impression from what he said?

A full 23 man roster $500k-$1m in cap space sounds about right. I have $868,912 in cap space with the current team and calling up Heidt and Peart (instead of guessing on Chisholm). Send one of them down for a 22 man roster and you'll gain another ~$900k.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Or might just have a buffer amount in mind for cap accruals/callups.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I've learned that Russo doesn't know crap. In a heated debate with LaPanta he insisted on that the Wild wouldn't sign a $3-4M UFA more than 2 years because they don't have the money and won't block spots for prospects. I get his point, but he got burned there. LaPanta was right.

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I've learned that Russo doesn't know crap. In a heated debate with LaPanta he insisted that the Wild wouldn't sign a $3-4M UFA more than 2 years because they don't have the money and won't block spots for prospects. I get his point, but he got burned there. LaPanta was right.
I believe he was specifically speaking to filling a top 6 hole with a stop gap. Everyone knows Zucc needs to be a long ways away from any top 6 role on this team.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've learned that Russo doesn't know crap. In a heated debate with LaPanta he insisted that the Wild wouldn't sign a $3-4M UFA more than 2 years because they don't have the money and won't block spots for prospects. I get his point, but he got burned there. LaPanta was right.

This is a reason I'm glad I can't stand Russo's voice, listening to his podcasts is out for me.

From what I've gathered about his podcasts it ends up being more the Wild and/or NHL hockey fan in him talking than the reporter with inside info after a couple mins in each segment/topic.

Reactions: Webster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad