Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
In theory, he easily pushes Middleton down. I would put him on a pair with Faber and call that the top pair.

If Guerin's plan is to keep Middleton as a top four D and not try to find an upgrade there, we're not going very far. Spurgeon is getting worse and more injured, Brodin is Nick Schultz with better marketing. You can't have those two playing prominent roles and also have Middleton as your 4D for much longer, and expect to win much of anything.

He's a flawed player, definitely more offensive than defensive, but he's still a good #3, and he just turned 26
Yeah Russo said on last podcast he’s getting Ryan Hartman contract which will be announced on July 1st. Like Russo said it will be Announced minutes into free agency

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I saw that too. I just think it’s about time we start trading LD prospects for players that will actually impact the roster.

I would do O'Rourke or Hunt, though they're not as valuable (I'd add a 3rd or another O'Rourke/Hunt level prospect)
I'd do Stramel, Haight, Kumpulainen, Lorenz, Milne, Masters, Peart or Bankier.

Only prospects off the table would be Wallstedt, Yurov, Heidt and Lambos. Ohgren and Khusnutdinov too if you still count them as prospects.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would do O'Rourke or Hunt, though they're not as valuable (I'd add a 3rd or another O'Rourke/Hunt level prospect)
I'd do Stramel, Haight, Kumpulainen, Lorenz, Milne, Masters, Peart or Bankier.

Only prospects off the table would be Wallstedt, Yurov, Heidt and Lambos. Ohgren and Khusnutdinov too if you still count them as prospects.
Why Lambos? Peart is a better prospect than him IMO.

I would be willing to trade Khusnutdinov in the right trade. Center depth of Ek-Rossi-Khusnutdinov-Gaudreau is a problem for me. Organization either needs to pick one of Rossi/Khusnutdinov to move to wing or to trade IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I would be willing to trade Khusnutdinov in the right trade. Center depth of Ek-Rossi-Khusnutdinov-Gaudreau is a problem for me. Organization either needs to pick one of Rossi/Khusnutdinov to move to wing or to trade IMO.
Until I am shown otherwise, I am calling Yurov a center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I think Lambos has more upside if he ever figures it out. Peart might be more likely to make it but I don't see 2nd pair upside there.

I'm also not really worried about Rossi and Khusnutdinov both being centers. Khusnutdinov is a fourth liner, move him to wing if you can get a bigger 4C.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Until I am shown otherwise, I am calling Yurov a center.
So do you move Khusnutdinov to wing and Rossi down to 3C?
I think Lambos has more upside if he ever figures it out. Peart might be more likely to make it but I don't see 2nd pair upside there.

I'm also not really worried about Rossi and Khusnutdinov both being centers. Khusnutdinov is a fourth liner, move him to wing if you can get a bigger 4C.
I actually feel pretty strongly that Peart can make it as a 2nd pairing guy. He just looked flat out better than the other LD at the end of the year for Iowa. Maybe that’s because he had more rest during the year, not sure. But I’m ready for him to make a dent.

Lambos has better puck skills, but he plays like a left handed Addison. I’m not sure the defensive awareness is there. Would certainly like to be proven wrong.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So do you move Khusnutdinov to wing and Rossi down to 3C?

I actually feel pretty strongly that Peart can make it as a 2nd pairing guy. He just looked flat out better than the other LD at the end of the year for Iowa. Maybe that’s because he had more rest during the year, not sure. But I’m ready for him to make a dent.

Lambos has better puck skills, but he plays like a left handed Addison. I’m not sure the defensive awareness is there. Would certainly like to be proven wrong.

It was his first pro season, I'm not putting too much stock into it. I still believe he'll improve.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Interesting story, what do you think about this? Perfect linemate for Zucc. And I want Hartman in the middle, instead of Rossi.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Interesting story, what do you think about this? Perfect linemate for Zucc. And I want Hartman in the middle, instead of Rossi.

I’m good with Hartman centering the 3rd line.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Was Laine a Wild killer? 15 points in 21 games. I guess if that's all it takes to kill the Wild, it's no wonder we never go anywhere.
My favorite line was
Laine has the potential to make Wild fans of old feel as though prime Marian Gaborik had returned.

Like, I’m sorry, on what planet are Laine and Gaborik even remotely close to the same player?

• Haha
Reactions: BagHead

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Trying to fit Zuccarello into this lineup is a pain. You pretty much have to build your lines with him in mind, even though he's probably your fifth best forward.

Reactions: Slotski

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I can see Guerin all over this guy, huge power forward with a great shot. Yeah it's a risk because of Laine's personal issues, but you know...you need to take risks if you want to win. Maybe he'll shine again with a new team.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If all situations stats are a relative tie, you look at the year before
If you like bigger sample sizes, you look at the year before

No matter how you approach it, Gus comes out on top. Gus has been the better goaltender since coming to Minnesota. His contract was easily justifiable when it was signed. If you feel something needed to change, you should be way more upset about the Fleury extension.

Either way it's still putting lipstick on a pig for last season. MAF and Gus were both awful last year. One of them needs to go and MAF has a full NMC so we're stuck with him.

$925k to see if Wallstedt can be better than ~45th ranked goalie $3.75m Gus was last year (most stats). I'll take that ~$2.8m cap savings gamble. Plus it would get Wallstedt a season in the NHL before the dead cap (mostly) goes away.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
One of them fires wide...puck goes along the boards...leading to a turnover OR the other tries to deke through traffic, holds on to the puck too long (looking for Kap who is sitting on the bench) loses the puck leading to a turnover.
Pick your poison.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I can see Guerin all over this guy, huge power forward with a great shot. Yeah it's a risk because of Laine's personal issues, but you know...you need to take risks if you want to win. Maybe he'll shine again with a new team.
I like the idea of the Laine-Zucc combo. I just have no idea how they could make the cap work without trading Gus and Middleton and replacing with ELCs.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Either way it's still putting lipstick on a pig for last season. MAF and Gus were both awful last year. One of them needs to go and MAF has a full NMC so we're stuck with him.

$925k to see if Wallstedt can be better than ~45th ranked goalie $3.75m Gus was last year (most stats). I'll take that ~$2.8m cap savings gamble. Plus it would get Wallstedt a season in the NHL before the dead cap (mostly) goes away.

Yeah nah, I'll just keep both at this point and hope for better next year with Gus and Wallstedt

If Gus rebounds there's your change. If he doesn't, Wallstedt wasn't going to make the difference anyway.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I like the idea of the Laine-Zucc combo. I just have no idea how they could make the cap work without trading Gus and Middleton and replacing with ELCs.
True...but at least it's possible, as mentioned in that story. I think a top 6 forward is the highest priority for the Wild, just have to fix this lack of secondary scoring.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah nah, I'll just keep both at this point and hope for better next year with Gus and Wallstedt

If Gus rebounds there's your change. If he doesn't, Wallstedt wasn't going to make the difference anyway.

I'd rather not have Wallstedt go though his rookie year in Kap's UFA season. If Kap leaves it doesn't matter who the goalie is after that. The team is a bottom feeder.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

What goalie are you targeting for next offseason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad