Minnesota 2024-2025 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

Forsbergaura21

Jul 20, 2024
Daemon Hunt - thoughts on him?

Does he have shot to make nhl team this season?

What’s his long term upside?

Mod Edit: Old thread can be found here:

Last edited by a moderator:

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

I'd say Hunt and Crotty are locked in as the AHL call-up options to open the season, significant gap at this point between them and the rest but things can change. IF Chisholm's defensive game becomes an issue(or injuries) I could see Hunt becoming a full-time option as a Merrill-Bogosian pair is extremely limited, but Hunt's not a big upside player, unlikely a PP option, and with the addition of Buium at the draft he might get squeezed of a roster spot next year too.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Outside shot to make the team, as he would have to supplant Chisholm or Merrill, as i think that they would prefer he gets big minutes down in the AHL than #7D minutes in the NHL.

I think he has a shot to be a middle pairing guy. It all depends on whether he plateaus, or continues to develop. Remember that he's still only 22 yo(won't turn 23 till after next season). Middleton didn't play anything like a full season till he was 26 yo.

Reactions: Forsbergaura21

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Telling that Hunt had over 23 minutes TOI in last game, more than anyone else, by a good bit. I don't think that he has been overly impressive, but he also hasn't been unimpressive. Would like to see him be more aggressive defensively, but do like that he can jump into the rush, and is reasonably composed when he has the puck.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Any info on kyle mcclellan? He was a top 10 finalist for the hobey baker. Any real nhl upside there?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Telling that Hunt had over 23 minutes TOI in last game, more than anyone else, by a good bit. I don't think that he has been overly impressive, but he also hasn't been unimpressive. Would like to see him be more aggressive defensively, but do like that he can jump into the rush, and is reasonably composed when he has the puck.
While I don't think he was overly impressive, he was definitely far more polished than any of the other young guys. It was similar to his Iowa games last year, he looked a bit faster, a bit stronger, and a bit smarter with his plays moreso than, Lambos, Spacek, Masters, etc. etc. And I think we all know he's preferred over Merrill - he can do everything Merrill can, is quicker, and more physical. My only concern with Hunt is his health - he doesn't seem to stay healthy long.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
While I don't think he was overly impressive, he was definitely far more polished than any of the other young guys. It was similar to his Iowa games last year, he looked a bit faster, a bit stronger, and a bit smarter with his plays moreso than, Lambos, Spacek, Masters, etc. etc. And I think we all know he's preferred over Merrill - he can do everything Merrill can, is quicker, and more physical. My only concern with Hunt is his health - he doesn't seem to stay healthy long.
good description of his game. His injuries when he was younger were more freak things than a case of a bad knee, back, or concussions. One was a skate cut, another broke a hand when he was blocking a shot, etc..

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
It's only an exhibition but Haight has a hatty, Bankier has 1g 1a, and Peart and Lambos both have an assist so far. Lambos on third pairing.

Oh wow, Brett Bulmer playing with Rockford. Now there is a prospect I will never forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's only an exhibition but Haight has a hatty, Bankier has 1g 1a, and Peart and Lambos both have an assist so far. Lambos on third pairing.

Oh wow, Brett Bulmer playing with Rockford. Now there is a prospect I will never forget.
I thought Bulmer was in Europe. But he's carved out a 14 year career so good for him?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Gaunce just scored to tie it 1 - 1. Ice a little soft and Iowa a little sloppy first 10 but legs seem to have woken up. Haight and Milne almost connect on a SH.

Spacek playing with Hunt.

Haight with Milne and Walker. Bankier on top line. Peart, ROR, and Lambos on playing - can't tell which one is the 7th D yet.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Great shift by Iowa - Bankier sends it to Peart at point, Peart shoots and it gets tipped by Shore to take the lead. Bankier already noticeably stronger puck.

Edit. Whoa, they waived it off for some reason. Clear evidence that puck hit back of net. Huge mess up by review/refs.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
End of 1. Iowa played much better second half of that period. Looks like Lambos is 7th D. Hunt and Peart appeared to get majority of shifts on the left side.

Spacek had a couple bad turnovers - seemed to panic when pressured. But otherwise, like I said above, they had a goal taken away when it was clear it went in. Haight will have a few weeks of learning he can't stickhandle through guys at the pro level but his hands/IQ/skating all look great. Think he and Milne will do some damage on PK.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Really weird period. Iowa down 3-1 and then Reece scored. Then Iowa goes on 5-3 PP. Lazy cross ice pass led to 2 on 1. Hunt played it well but shooter shelved it. Bankier tried a cross ice pass right after and almost led to another shorthanded scoring opportunity. Iowa scores shortly thereafter to make it 4-3. Then on the 5 on 4 PP Milne snipes it, so it is 4 - 4 going into third. Think the 5 on 3 was makeup call due to reversing clear goal in first.

ROR and Lambos definitely switching off on last pair. Lambos made the mistake in the first that led to the first goal. He also has probably 2 other turnovers and just looks lost. Sorry guys - gonna try to not be as objective as possible but he isn't going to make it easy on me, haha.

Hunt easily best D. Peart thinks the game better than the other young ones, including Spacek, IMO. Milne noticeable every shift - always pushing the pace and making plays.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
And Lambos just throws it out front and it gets picked off and luckily not in the back of the net and Ben Gisleason or whatever (play by play) calls him out saying he can't do that this year.

Lambos just made a good defensive play. Closed gap to stop the rush and then sent it to Haight for a little bit of transition play, but Iowa was offsides.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Haight takes a cross ice pass standing in Ovechkin's kitchen and goalie gets over to make the stop. Not sure if he got all of it or if it was the crappy ice.

Manitoba gets empty netter and win 6-4.

Pretty even match. Would have to go back and watch Manitoba's goals to see if they were soft or not.

Ice not great and Iowa clearly did not get enough reps working powerplay in practice yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad