Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs extension with the Wild (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's not close to what the top PP point compilers get. Regardless, it's not the "bulk" of why he's getting paid what he is. It's 30 seconds per game less than Jake Sanderson gets and Faber outscored him in all situations and very few people are freaking out that “Jake Sanderson doesn’t score enough points to be worth his long-term deal”.

Jake Sanderson is better than Brock Faber.

This is a very good contract for minnesota (although it's virtually impossible to sign a "bad" contract on a guy who isn't eligble for UFA until 2030 given the leverage the team has)

Reactions: Imgoingtowork

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Look at who is already on the books.

Sanderson is $64 mill over 8 years beginning next season. Power is under $200K lower on the AAV over 7 years, also begins next season. It's only $400K in total higher than Miro H.
Both Sanderson and Power were like Faber, burned an ELC year and signed after just 1 year in the NHL with a year left on the elc. If both kids waited, how different if at all would their deals be?

Any other Dmen due up that would be a comp? Seider is still unsigned. Luke Hughes can sign now as well, but likely plays out 24/25.
Power is an example of maybe waiting is a good idea. In fact the only young dmen currently living up to or exceeding their contracts are Hughes and Makar. Rasmus and Miro had worse seasons, while Sanderson and Power haven't reached a level for their cap and I get those 3 deals haven't kicked in yet but that's kind of my point that Quinn and Cale already had multiple productive seasons and now throw Dobson into that group with Quinn and Cale.

I get the reasoning behind the early deals but I still think if your gonna get paid like a 60+ dman you should have somewhat proven it. Or in Rasmuses case, he's gonna be like the highest paid dman in hockey and hasn't won a Norris or been close. He's played six seasons already and isn't close to an 11 million dollar dman. I'm sure fans of those teams will shit on me but numbers don't lie.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I fail to see how the Sabres being stupid 9 years into a players NHL career has to do with this Faber contract.

Skinner had a long track record of consistent performance, dependent basically soley on his shooting percentage. When he shot 10% he was between 25-30 goals, Higher he'd break 30. Lower he'd be between 20-25.

Too bad they didn't have a single person in their building suggest that he probably wasnt going to shoot 15% too many more times.
There’s even less information about Faber potential to warrant giving him such a crazy contract by term and AAV

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There’s even less information about Faber potential to warrant giving him such a crazy contract by term and AAV
I'll agree that there is nothing that said that they HAD to do this right now, but they obviously wanted to. And because they wanted to, they were pretty much locked into a salary range based on recent precedent. It just is what it is.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Why is that far fetched? Doughty signed an $11mil contract in 2019. With the cap increase, if Faber becomes one of the defenders in the nhl, $13mil a couple years from now would be a real possibility.

Outliers don’t tend to set the market. Doughty and Karlsson signed for 11 then and no defenseman went past 10 until Dahlin, who is also an outlier so far. Contracts tend to be based more on comparables rather than the cap going up, and you have other players like Makar, Josi, Fox, McAvoy, Heiskanen, etc signed for considerably less since then. I don’t see any big name defensemen coming up for a new contract until Makar in 3 years. Makar probably commands 13 million by that point, but I think it’s very unlikely Faber would be right there with him.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
It's crazy risky to me. You are banking on him being a 70 point player and that is just to be AT value for that AAV. There is less than a 1% chance the Wild get better value than that AAV. If he's a career 50 point player, is that still go value? I guess the contract comparable would be Drew Doughty who signed 8x7 on his second contract. Good luck living up to that standard, kid.
Doughty’s contract was 10.89% of the cap. That’s $9,580,093 today. Faber’s contract is 9.66%. If you are going to compare the two at least do it right.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
This breaks my heart

I was hoping we lived in a parallel universe where i'm in a forced coma, inside an incubator and a machine is feeding me false feeds of NHL highlights to preoccupy my mind as the Androids take over the world.

Once unhooked, i'd be back in reality where Faber is still a big LA prospect and the year is indeed 2024 but Dean Lombardi is still our manager

Every day i wake up disappointed to know that there is no Android Revolution and that the Faber trade actually happened

Ah well... back to bed for me

Reactions: Regal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Faber is a RHD. That alone adds $1 mil considering the scarcity of top 4 RHD, let alone top pairing defenseman.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
not a huge fan of the trend ottawa started of signing dmen early. that said this is a fair deal for both sides.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This breaks my heart

I was hoping we lived in a parallel universe where i'm in a forced coma, inside an incubator and a machine is feeding me false feeds of NHL highlights to preoccupy my mind as the Androids take over the world.

Once unhooked, i'd be back in reality where Faber is still a big LA prospect and the year is indeed 2024 but Dean Lombardi is still our manager

Every day i wake up disappointed to know that there is no Android Revolution and that the Faber trade actually happened

Ah well... back to bed for me
Yeah, really sucks to live in the universe where you guys have a better and younger RD than Faber and also have Kevin Fiala.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
It always amuses me among fans that the team is always the default "winner" in these deals as if there isn't a second party taking a "loss". Somehow the player and his agent agree to the deal even though the team is expected to get a "discount" over the life of the contract. The fact of the matter is this is a risk-reward scenario, and both sides are taking a risk for some type of reward. The team is hoping to save a couple million per year down the road, not a lot of reward for the risk they took. The player might lose out on a couple million a year in case they quickly improve, but that's not much risk compared to locking in $68m and still being a UFA at age 30.

With Faber I would have waited a year or attempted to sign a bridge deal. His second half was not good, and his smaller stature probably contributed to his injury that clearly affected his game. Too much risk for not much reward at this price. This is a common mistake among bottom-half teams. They overvalue their top young hopefuls that were fortunate to play on an inferior team to goose their stats, and then they lock them into deals that usually don't turn out to be values, keeping them in mediocrity. Unless it's a transformational young player, which Faber is not, it's best to be more patient with your cash. Look at the salary structure of Stanley cup winners if you want evidence of that.

I think it's unlikely he'd be worth 11M+, but it's probably less likely he regresses to a 6M dman.

He was closer to $6m than $8.5m last season. After Christmas he wasn't even a $6m player. He's got to improve offensively, defensively, and maybe most importantly physically to be worth a consistent $8.5+m. Will he? Maybe, but we're already paying for something that doesn't exist yet. It's high risk, low reward managing.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Like Sanderson I think this deal will look good a lot sooner than the haters will ever admit. It would be rich for the first year if he was a RFA, but has 1yr left of ELC and he'll be worth his contract when this one kickes in.

Yes, he did.

He had a better rookie season than Sanderson.
He had a more impressive season than Sanderson (rookie being a factor)
He did not however, have a better season than Sanderson.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Man thats alot of coin for one decent year. Wild better hope he he improves offensivly at the very least to make this a worth while contract.

• Haha
Reactions: MK9

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
With Spurgeon out the Wild relied heavily on Faber this past year, and he did a great job.

So you kind of knew this was coming, but it's always staggering to see the number.

I don't know if there would've been any downside to waiting and seeing what he does this year. I mean, 8.5M for a defenseman is a lot, chances are he wouldn't have been worth much more in his 2nd full season. On the other hand a tough year for whatever reason would mean a very different extension.

I've never been a fan of rewarding players for 1 year with these monster contracts, but some work out and it's the nature of the business I guess. I like Faber, hopefully he keeps playing well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He had a better rookie season than Sanderson.
He had a more impressive season than Sanderson (seeing as he (Faber) was a rookie)
He did not however, have a better season than Sanderson.
Sanderson signed his extension in September of 2023 after a single season in the NHL. That is the season that I am comparing Faber to. So yes, Faber did have a better rookie/pre-extension season than Sanderson did.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It always amuses me among fans that the team is always the default "winner" in these deals as if there isn't a second party taking a "loss". Somehow the player and his agent agree to the deal even though the team is expected to get a "discount" over the life of the contract. The fact of the matter is this is a risk-reward scenario, and both sides are taking a risk for some type of reward. The team is hoping to save a couple million per year down the road, not a lot of reward for the risk they took. The player might lose out on a couple million a year in case they quickly improve, but that's not much risk compared to locking in $68m and still being a UFA at age 30.

With Faber I would have waited a year or attempted to sign a bridge deal. His second half was not good, and his smaller stature probably contributed to his injury that clearly affected his game. Too much risk for not much reward at this price. This is a common mistake among bottom-half teams. They overvalue their top young hopefuls that were fortunate to play on an inferior team to goose their stats, and then they lock them into deals that usually don't turn out to be values, keeping them in mediocrity. Unless it's a transformational young player, which Faber is not, it's best to be more patient with your cash. Look at the salary structure of Stanley cup winners if you want evidence of that.

He was closer to $6m than $8.5m last season. After Christmas he wasn't even a $6m player. He's got to improve offensively, defensively, and maybe most importantly physically to be worth a consistent $8.5+m. Will he? Maybe, but we're already paying for something that doesn't exist yet. It's high risk, low reward managing.
Of course Faber has to be better than his rookie year for this to good. That's true of every single one of these types of contracts that are signed, forward and defenseman alike. The team obviously thinks that he will be and have made a calculated gamble to that effect. We'll see, but I'm certainly not all that nervous about it.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Sanderson signed his extension in September of 2023 after a single season in the NHL. That is the season that I am comparing Faber to. So yes, Faber did have a better rookie/pre-extension season than Sanderson did.

My mistake then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad