Proposal: Miller to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Carolina receives:
-Miller ($8 mill for 7 years)
-Hoglander

Vancouver receives:
-Kotkaniemi (makes the salary work; $4.82 for another 7 years)
-Conditional second round pick (becomes a 1st if Carolina makes the SCF)
-Morrow (if this is too greedy, then one of Drury, Koivunen, or Nikishin).

Canucks free up $3 million in cap space and get some futures back. Carolina improves their roster and Cup chances in getting two players that they have been rumoured to be interested in.

Please tell me how much this proposal sucks for your team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Does anyone have the actual statements, VERBATIM, made by Friedman in this podcast?

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
See edit to my original post.

You’re grasping at straws on a rumor that was debunked right after it was uttered.
Can you provide sources? Not saying you’re dishonest or anything, but I’ll take a (weak) rumour from Friedman over a random HF poster.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
“I don’t see that one happening…”

"There was a time this summer when Miller's name came up as part of a 3-way deal with Matthew Tkachuk..."

That sounds to me like Carolina would send young players to Vancouver, Vancouver would send Miller to Calgary, Calgary would send Tkachuk to Carolina. Doesn't make sense going the other way (young players to Calgary, Tkachuk to Vancouver, Miller to Carolina.)

Based on that, why would anyone buy a rumor that Carolina, who doesn't like giving long contracts that extend into a player's mid to late 30s, would be interested in Miller signed through 2030?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hoglander will be twice the player KK is. This is gross, Nucks also already have 2 better 1sts this year to reinforce EP and Hughes. Oh, and JT is a beaut.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If Allvin was able to offload Miller to someone, Horvat would still be a Canuck /thread

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kotkaniemi's production is normalizing after a horrid start. Since American Thanksgiving, he's scored at a ~45 point pace. Albeit not a matchup center, analytics love his defense (98th percentile according to the Athletic model).

For $4.82 mil, that's meh. Not good, not bad, just meh. The only issue in Carolina is that he hasn't gelled with Svechnikov and Necas like the coach wants. Hence, he's up and down, 2nd line to 4th line and back. If he can just find chemistry with those two, I think the team is satisfied with him as the third wheel between the drivers on the wing. They came into the year with that set-up and they couldn't have expected him to be a radically different player than he is.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I am more then willing to talk trade, but most Canucks fans are not desperate to get rid of Miller. He is a PPG+ winger in his time with Vancouver, can play center, is signed for 7 years (not a negative to us, or to a team looking at short term gains) to a reasonable cap hit, has a physical edge to his game, takes faceoffs, yadda, yadda, yadda.

He won't be cheap is what I'm saying. I understand there are some prospects that Hurricanes fans consider untouchable, and fair play, there are some great young players coming up, but we still want value for Miller.

Kotkaniemi being included seems like it would have to be done, but I don't value him, and don't know that the Canucks do either, as we are loaded to the gills with comparable forwards either a little older, or a little younger.

I don't know if this rumour is legitimate, or if it's old news, or pure fantasy, but Miller and the Hurricanes would clean up together. Does this mean that Carolina needs to sell the farm and set fire to their other properties for him? No, but Miller isn't a limited asset to us either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Does anyone have the actual statements, VERBATIM, made by Friedman in this podcast?
Friedman says in his podcast that there is a rumor floating around that connects the Canes to Miller. He says he believes it comes from a summertime rumor where there was talk that Tkachuk and Miller were part of a potential three way trade and that we were rumored to be part of it. As you know we were separately rumored to be very in on Tkachuk. None of it went down obviously, and Friedman says he thinks the people he’s hearing it from now are just linking things back to the summer talks and that he doesn’t believe there’s anything to it. He throws it out there almost as a counter to any rumors that come out that say we’re interested.

Its not hard to find and listen to though.

I assume even in the original rumor we were getting Tkachuk not Miller, which to me personally makes this conversation even sillier.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Vancouver should absolutely do this deal. Getting out from the Miller contract is a win in itself. Getting a pick and Morrow in addition...it's delusional.
Miller is a ppg+ player that can slot into c or w. His contract is market value at worst

Reactions: platotld

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Carolina receives:
-Miller ($8 mill for 7 years)
-Hoglander

Vancouver receives:
-Kotkaniemi (makes the salary work; $4.82 for another 7 years)
-Conditional second round pick (becomes a 1st if Carolina makes the SCF)
-Morrow (if this is too greedy, then one of Drury, Koivunen, or Nikishin).

Canucks free up $3 million in cap space and get some futures back. Carolina improves their roster and Cup chances in getting two players that they have been rumoured to be interested in.

Please tell me how much this proposal sucks for your team.

As a Canes fan. Full stop not interested in Miller as a trade acquisition. There's really no offer that makes it acceptable because of his contract...there's nothing to send back or add to make that contract work. Right now, wouldn't take him for free because I don't want to be saddled with the back half of his contract.

You either need to magically make his 8 year contract a 5 year contract or magically make him 25 years old before there is anything to negotiate.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hoglander will be twice the player KK is. This is gross, Nucks also already have 2 better 1sts this year to reinforce EP and Hughes. Oh, and JT is a beaut.

Just curious. Hoglander is 5.5 months younger than kk. When do you think he'll be twice the player. 1 year from now. 2? 3? or more. I haven't seen much of Hoglander and I'm not a KK fan on the Canes board, so this is a serious question and not trying to disagree with you.

Reactions: Chan790

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
lol, so the Canucks "saves" 3M by downgrading from Miller to KK who has one of the worst contracts in the league?
Kotkaniemi might be a lot of things but he is not one of the worst contracts in the league. Not even close.

The buyout is a pretty easy one to manage. They have an out for a few more years if he doesn’t continue to develop.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad