Value of: Mikko Rantanen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I'm pretty sure the AVS would move lekkohnon before Rantanen. If they do I'd assume they would want a number 1 center to slot behind MacKinnon to give them an elite 1-2 punch down the middle and also some picks and prospects depending on the calibre player they receive. If it doesn't make them better, prolong their window, and give them capspace I don't see a reason for them to trade a top 3 winger in the league.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I didn’t make this threat necessarily because of the Lehkonen drama. I just figured that the nhl is boring at the moment and we all need a blockbuster trade to speculate about. So I settled on Rantanen because a Makar extension is due 2 years after Rantanens extension and I’m of the belief that the Avs would be hard pressed to ice a competitive team if all 3 of Mackinnon, Makar, and Rantanen are signed to whopper contracts which they all will be

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd say look at the Marner thread. Similar contract situations, on teams looking to keep their windows open (ie, pure futures are of less interest, but also cap constraints)

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I didn’t make this threat necessarily because of the Lehkonen drama. I just figured that the nhl is boring at the moment and we all need a blockbuster trade to speculate about. So I settled on Rantanen because a Makar extension is due 2 years after Rantanens extension and I’m of the belief that the Avs would be hard pressed to ice a competitive team if all 3 of Mackinnon, Makar, and Rantanen are signed to whopper contracts which they all will be
He’s a top 10 player in the league, kinda hard to fulfill your ask if you don’t state a team

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The Avs would be fools to move him. I’d love to get him on the Lightning somehow but I don’t see a realistic trade to be made - the pieces the Lightning have are either too valuable to move for Rants or not valuable enough to get him.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It would have to start with a similar or younger age elite 2C and go from there depending on how elite, contract term, etc.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Ain't no team paying the cost to acquire him. The Avs are win now mode, obviously, so the pieces coming back would have to be very very good roster players. And the only reason to get Mikko is to win now.

It would need to be a team that needs an elite winger and has an excess great 2C plus more good stuff.

Good luck finding a trade partner

Reactions: lionsDen

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It would have to start with a similar or younger age elite 2C and go from there depending on how elite, contract term, etc.

Rants is a great player but nobody is giving up an elite player who is younger, plays a more valuable position, and has more term on his contract for him. We’ve seen the same absurd and unrealistic demands from Edmonton and Toronto fans; please don’t be like them.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Ain't no team paying the cost to acquire him. The Avs are win now mode, obviously, so the pieces coming back would have to be very very good roster players. And the only reason to get Mikko is to win now.

It would need to be a team that needs an elite winger and has an excess great 2C plus more good stuff.

Good luck finding a trade partner
As you stated the only reason a team would trade for Mikko is if they are in win-now mode. The Avs are also in win-now mode so the only way I see this working would be to include a third team. Team A gets Mikko, Team B gets lots of futures and the Avs get a very good 2C from Team B + other piece(s).

Unlikely the Avs trade him though.

Reactions: katfude

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Rants is a great player but nobody is giving up an elite player who is younger, plays a more valuable position, and has more term on his contract for him. We’ve seen the same absurd and unrealistic demands from Edmonton and Toronto fans; please don’t be like them.

Again an elite 2C of similar or younger age, with term of contract coming into play on the overall value. Not asking for an elite 1C, but if it’s an average 2C there’s gonna be a big add. Colorado does not need to start with a reasonable ask as we’re talking about a top 20ish player.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Again an elite 2C of similar or younger age, with term of contract coming into play on the overall value. Not asking for an elite 1C, but if it’s an average 2C there’s gonna be a big add. Colorado does not need to start with a reasonable ask as we’re talking about a top 20ish player.

Just say you don’t want to trade him - I know I wouldn’t if I were an Avs fan. But don’t make ridiculous demands that no sane GM would ever consider, much less agree to.

• Haha
Reactions: Perratrooper

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
An elite 2C with term, that's pretty much the only thing that would garner interest from the Avs and most likely those guys simply aren't available
I would make available for rantanen. He is really really good.

But why would Aves trade cuz hasn't he looked decent anytime Mac is hurt ? He can carry a line no ?

Last edited:

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I think a deal involving Necas could be interesting. He’s younger than Rants and is an RFA this summer. He’s been inconsistent in Carolina but I think he’d absolutely thrive in Colorado’s system, him and Mack flying together would be a sight to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad