Value of: Mikko Koskinen

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This is not an overreaction to his historic performance tonight. Generally curious if there is a team out there that would trade for him. He has one season left at $4.5 million with a 15-team NTC (Chiarelli).

Pros
- 6'7"
- can let in up to the first 4 shots of a game

Cons
- overpaid
- can't catch
- plays like he's 5'2"
- balding
- erratic style

If the Oilers aren't buying him out, they'll probably have to retain 50%. Would anyone take him at $2.25 million?

Reactions: OKR

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
And to think, Koskinen has been pretty solid ever since that rough start when Smith was out. But now it's all down the shitter.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And to think, Koskinen has been pretty solid ever since that rough start when Smith was out. But now it's all down the shitter.
Yep. One game and his entire season is down the crapper I guess. He's not horrible. He has nights like tonight once in a blue moon, and he is paid too much, but otherwise he is fine.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
He had a .917 and was solid before night since Smith returned. I would not given up any significant assets (at most 3rd round pick) to dump his contract.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's a decent 1B, I don't see a reason to trade him as the return isn't going to be significant anyway. Sign someone else in 2022 if he's regressing next year.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I'll trade you for 6'7" of hard rubber from a melted pylon, shaped into a goalie, along with the remains of the stick he broke and the goal post he whacked :sarcasm:.

Frankly he's too inconsistent for my liking but there should be a market for him
- St Louis, to replace Husso as Binnington's backup?
- Chicago, could be a backup to Lankinen?
- Philly, to help out their goaltending this season

(I've only seen North division games, so could be way out to lunch and missing some obvious candidates.)

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Koskinen is a lot better when he actually gets to play, but if he only gets start every 2 weeks of course there's going to be rust. That said, he's not good enough for a team that thinks it has a shot at winning(although he makes a good excuse for when they don't). I'd include him as a cap dump along with an asset or assets for a real goalie. I'd say Kuemper but that just kicks the can a year down the road. Lots of UFA options this year. Screw it, ride out the last year of the deal and let him walk.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Laine straight up for Koskinen, both are
-Big
-Finnish
-balding
and both have negative impact in their teams goal against stat.

Perfect match for a ”change of scenery trade.”

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
No one’s going to want him and his 4.5m cap hit. So unless we’re taking back a 1 year contract at around the same cap hit, no thanks. We’re finally getting out from under all the Chia era contracts. Might be better just to keep him for the year unfortunately, just don’t play him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad