RD EJ Emery - USNTDP, USHL (2024 Draft)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yep, I see a tall, broad frame.
Compare that to Sennecke for example, who seems to have a tall, narrow frame, and I'd say Emery is in a much better position to pack on muscle.

Reactions: DemiGod

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Emery being pretty lanky for his height and frame makes him even more projectable to me. He’s already pretty strong even as lean as he is but he could become a total menace to play against if he puts on muscle and gains the confidence to use it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yep, I see a tall, broad frame.
Compare that to Sennecke for example, who seems to have a tall, narrow frame, and I'd say Emery is in a much better position to pack on muscle.
I agree about Emery's build being just fine. Sennecke's mother is long and lean, but very athletic. His Dad is taller, and at one point was described as a bodybuilder, so i wouldn't worry too much about him, either.

Hockey players don't have to be thick like football players. Strong legs, sure, and a little bit of muscle up top is nice, but real thick... nah, not really. Just take a look at Gretzky's build .... didn't hurt him.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
It’s been fascinating to see this guy get so much love on here and in many public lists, and yet a place I would expect to see that reciprocated (HockeyProspect) was quite low on him (59th OA). They are really discouraged with the IQ, pucks skills and perceived upside. I don’t have any opinion to add on him since I haven’t watched but I will be interested to see his actual draft slot and career unfold.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I confidently have him inside my top 20. He's a future Ekholm, Lindell, Tanev, Pesce calibre D who will have a long productive career.
I have loved this guys game from the first time I saw him play back in September. I wasn’t at all surprised by his great combine results because he is clearly a phenomenal athlete. EJ has the potential to be a solid top 4 D and maybe more if he discovers his offensive ability.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Questionable IQ and minimal to zero offense provided. Not something I’d want with a top 20 pick.

Reactions: Hollel

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel his defensive IQ has improved a lot in the past season. I still have my questions, but his IQ isn't something I'd worry about anymore. Last season it was fair game, not this one.

Reactions: Blueston

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Emery doesn’t have questionable IQ, he has questionable creativity. There’s a difference.
Agreed.

A big reason I'm very high on Emery is because for the role he's expected to play (tough stay-at-home defenseman), he should play that role very well. The offense isn't there because his focus is just getting the puck where he wants - out of his zone and if possible, at his opponent's goal.

Defensively, he covers a lot of ice with his skating ability and reach. When he closes the gap, he'll pin the opposition and give them fits when they try to escape.

He has high IQ imo. He plays within his means and knows how to make use of his strengths.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
One of Iginla and Catton with 7th and one of Emery or Elick with 25th would make me extremely happy. I honestly don't want the sens to draft a dman with 7th unless somehow silayev levshunov or buium are still there.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I confidently have him inside my top 20. He's a future Ekholm, Lindell, Tanev, Pesce calibre D who will have a long productive career.

Tanev has better puck skills & puck moving ability, hes not a point producer but hes underrated in that area. Its why he can play on top pairs. Think Emery is more limited in this area & will be at his best keeping things simple.

Sorta reminds me of Myers defensively tbh, & I mean that as a compliement. Myers is a good rush defender with his size/mobility/length & was effective this year as a 2nd pair RD in a structured environment. I could see that for Emery, tho Myers has more offensive skill.

Reactions: User1996

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00
    Event closes