Prospect Info: Mikhail Yegorov - pick #49 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Cant be mad at a big Russian goalie whos already over here and will get some NCAA coaching
It’s bad, not good. Russian goalie development coaching is in miles better, competition is much tougher, russian vertical of programs have different levels.

I still not mad about this guy. Would prefer many other players from the field. Still okay pick to me. Ncaa environment still good for development of the goalie. So let’s hope we will have starter or backup after few years.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
It’s bad, not good. Russian goalie development coaching is in miles better, competition is much tougher, russian vertical of programs have different levels.

I still not mad about this guy. Would prefer many other players from the field. Still okay pick to me. Ncaa environment still good for development of the goalie. So let’s hope we will have starter or backup after few years.
Its better thats hes over here only because the accessibility is there in case he shines early I think

Reactions: mdj12784

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not an expert on goaltending prospects, nor will I pretend to be, but I'm going to give my stamp of approval on this pick. A few of the people I've contacted who know better seem to think Yegorov has a chance to be the best goaltender from the 2024 class and an NHL starter, and that's a fair chance to take in the 2nd round, even with the talent still left on the board.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Its better thats hes over here only because the accessibility is there in case he shines early I think
Goalies are about development. About smooth raise of competition, about coaching and patience. And it’s not about “earlier”. Russia is the best environment for goalies now from top to bottom. It’s just fact.
Best goalie of the play off is Russian, SC winner goalie is Russian, last Conn Smythe Trophy winner goalie is Russian, most of the last Verona nominees are Russians, abd even if they robbed Sorokin for Vezina and Shestyorkin for Hart, Russia developed huge generation of goalies in Russia. So if we want something big, we need to walk through the oath of the truth. Not through the path of comfortable.

Anyway he is fine player to draft on my taste. I want to believe that he has right psychology for the job and right discipline. He looks like a smart kid so it should help a lot.

Overall I want best players for my team, I don’t care if they are Russians, Norwegians or Americans or Slovaks. Remark.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Goalies are about development. About smooth raise of competition, about coaching and patience. And it’s not about “earlier”. Russia is the best environment for goalies now from top to bottom. It’s just fact.
Best goalie if the play off is Russian, SC winner goalie is Russian, Conn Smythe Trophy winner goalie is Russian, most of the last Verona nominees are Russians, abd even if they robbed Sorokin for Vezina and Shestyorkin for Hart, Russia developed huge generation of goalies in Russia. So if we want something big, we need to walk through the oath of the truth. Not through the path of comfortable.

Anyway he is fine player to draft on my taste. I want to believe that he has right psychology for the job and right discipline. He looks like a smart kid so it should help a lot.
Russian goalies have always done well with how many come over so I believe you that for development that itd have been better; but then how would you feel about AHL development vs KHL?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Sweet spot to take goalies is the 2–3 round range. It's a risk worth taking, each time every time. Because if that one pick hits, it changes your franchise.
Looking at highlights of this kid, he has even better tape than Blackwood when he came out. Very athletic for his size. Making timely incredible saves. Speaks great english and seems to have a likeable personality. Both the physical and mental are there.
I cannot understate this enough, personality in a goaltender is HUGE.
Blackwood had the personality of a clam shell and was brittle. Brennan bored you just by staring at him. Those are not prospects you build your team around.
With proper development, this kid can be a hit. I really like his intangibles.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
And, yes, I will eat crow in begging for the team to draft Askarov. I was proven wrong by most here that you never use a 1st in a goalie. But this was not a reach pick. This was an excellent range pick in a not so deep draft. Both picks Fitzgerald made (Silayev and Yegorov) look to be very solid and logical when you sit back and evaluate. I am no fan of russian or euro players in general but these two prospects specifically scream NA dna to me. I don't see soft euros in them.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Russian goalies have always done well with how many come over so I believe you that for development that itd have been better; but then how would you feel about AHL development vs KHL?
Goalie development? How do you feel about it?

There are much stronger programs in Russia. Again they can play goalies on different levels, they can loan them, they trade them easier. MHL is stronger too.

When we are talking about forwards and defensemen - it’s different. KHL is still more competent league, but they are different in some aspects. AHL have limit for vets, teams are trying to develop players, KHL have no limit, they are playing for victory, reason it’s much tougher for young kids. And it’s harder to win some trust because the price of mistake is much higher. So if player deserved his role - he will develop better in KHL and will face harder competition, but in ahl player will have more ice time and can develop some aspects of the game earlier.
Game is little different, pace is little bit different. KHL teams are trying to play in control more often, ahl game is more vertical. I see more constant pressure in KHL, more structure, but ahl can be more violent some times.

So there are no perfect league for defensemen or for forwards. NHL is full of smart, fast, physical hockey players. Reason why some players don’t even need a time in ahl right after junior league, some players are better in transition after KHL, some needs some time in ahl, some players can’t break nhl even if they were good in ahl(mostly ahl succes mean nothing - Holtz and Boqvist were very good in ahl). KHL success means more. But still it’s not enough for some players - NHL is just faster and asking much more accurate game, price of mistake is higher.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Soft euros, tough americans.
This soft Nygard, soft Chernyshov, soft Helenius, soft Silayev, soft Demidov, soft Surin, soft Solberg.
Tough Catton, tough Sennecke, tough Parekh, tough Eiserman.

Yeah. That’s right. Only soft ones and only tough others.
What is this post about exactly?

And who has been calling the bottom players tough?

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Generally speaking, euro athletes are soft. All you need to do is look at basketball. Show me a tough euro basketball player in the NBA today?

Hockey is obviously a different conversation but more often than not euro prospects are perceived and rightfully end up being the finesse type.
It's just a fact. The bruiser types are not so common. They do come along every now and then but it's not the norm.
I do like these two specific russians though because they fit that NA mold of the players I like in my team.

Reactions: mdj12784

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Generally speaking, euro athletes are soft. All you need to do is look at basketball. Show me a tough euro basketball player in the NBA today?

Hockey is obviously a different conversation but more often than not euro prospects are perceived and rightfully end up being the finesse type.
It's just a fact. The bruiser types are not so common. They do come along every now and then but it's not the norm.
I do like these two specific russians though because they fit that NA mold of the players I like in my team.
What are you talking about? It’s not bfboards.

First round have more tougher euros than tougher na skaters.
It’s not fact and never will be. Nico is tougher than Jack, Nemec is tougher than Luke, Palat is tougher than any player on this roster, Barkov is tougher than full roster of oilers, me is tougher than you. At least because I have balls and brain to understand and admit that tough isn’t about nationality. Even if rules in league like CHL is much softier now.

Tougher North American. Go visit average sport event in Europe - eastern or north or south and look at the fans, how they act and how they cheer. They are tougher than your average NA hockey player on your favorite team. Don’t even need to talk about athletes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Soft euros, tough americans.
This soft Nygard, soft Chernyshov, soft Helenius, soft Silayev, soft Demidov, soft Surin, soft Solberg.
Tough Catton, tough Sennecke, tough Parekh, tough Eiserman.

Yeah. That’s right. Only soft ones and only tough others.
Americans are some of the softest players in the league in my opinion....the defensemen are a little tiny bit better than the forwards...but the US produces a lot of 5'10 175 "Skilled" players on both offense and defense...

If they were bigger and stronger they would play football;)

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
What are you talking about? It’s not bfboards.

First round have more tougher euros than tougher na skaters.
It’s not fact and never will be. Nico is tougher than Jack, Nemec is tougher than Luke, Palat is tougher than any player on this roster, Barkov is tougher than full roster of oilers, me is tougher than you. At least because I have balls and brain to understand and admit that tough isn’t about nationality. Even if rules in league like CHL is much softier now.

I have never seen Hischier or Nemec in a fight or hit the opposing player so hard they fall flatfooted. Never.
Hischier specifically has been injury prone. I am not sure what toughness you mean? As in character?
Palat tough? In what universe? Your mind?
Because he maybe mentally strong but I don't see him laying out people or engage physically throughout a hockey game.
Think before you type, bossman😉

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Americans are some of the softest players in the league in my opinion....the defensemen are a little tiny bit better than the forwards...but the US produces a lot of 5'10 175 "Skilled" players on both offense and defense...

If they were bigger and stronger they would play football;)
I don’t think that euros or NAs are tougher. It’s really about specific player. Tkachuks are tough, Hughess are not. Kaprisov is tough, Panarin is not. Barkov is tough, Kucherov is tough, Yegor is not, Kuzmenko is not. For every Slavin there will be Hutson.

It’s about player, not about his passport. But yeah, level of skill is higher for Americans now and I think it’s good for American hockey, too bad Americans can’t show themselves on the tourney of bests against bests. I will root for Americans on 4 nations tournament.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I have never seen Hischier or Nemec in a fight or hit the opposing player so hard they fall flatfooted. Never.
Hischier specifically has been injury prone. I am not sure what toughness you mean? As in character?
Palat tough? In what universe? Your mind?
Because he maybe mentally strong but I don't see him laying out people or engage physically throughout a hockey game.
Think before you type, bossman😉
you can go on YouTube.

Jack is very healthy player btw. And other takes. So - yeah. I’m not here to break your limits.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
As I said in the main thread, I would have preferred we grabbed one of the goalies in 3rd and used the 2nd on an skater.

That’s just based on value. Maybe Yegorov is the guy and worth a 2nd.

Rd 2
38 COL Nabokov
49 NJD Yegorov
57 LAK George
60 CBJ Gardner
64 EDM Vinni
Rd 3
*we traded #75*
*we traded #82*
83 VGK Moysevich
84 CGY Zarubin
*We used #85*
88 SEA Saarinen
Rd 4
99 NSH Milota
114 WSH Kempf
115 NYI Gamzin
116 SJS Kirsch
126 DET Miller
Rd 5
132 COL Cloutier
134 MTL Vecvanags
137 COL Yunin
142 MIN Wutzke
146 NJD Louhivaara
147 NYI Gidlof
157 TOR Obvintsev
Rd 7
194 SJS Korostelyov
201 FLA Gabdrakhmanov
206 TBL Meneghin
219 BUF Leenders

HFB’s own evnted
  1. 42 Moysevich
  2. 45 Zarubin
  3. 63 Nabokov
  4. 67 Yegorov
  5. 79 Gidlof
  6. 95 George

Black Book/ Hockeyprospect.com
1/B Zarubin
2/B Moysevich
3/B Yegorov
4/B Gidlof
5/C+ Obvintsev
6/C Nabokov
7/C Saarinen
8/B Yunin
9/C Leenders
10/C George

Elite Prospects
  1. 55/B Leenders
  2. 56/B Vinni
  3. 59/B George
  4. 75/C Saarinen
  5. 86/C Nabokov
  6. 98/C Yegorov
  7. 99/C Louhivaara
  8. 103/C Haronik
  9. 109/C Moysevich
McKeen’s
  1. 51 George
  2. 66 Moysevich
  3. 67 Yegorov
  4. 78 Leenders
  5. 85 Nabokov
  6. 121 Matecha
  7. 129 Boija
  8. 131 Gardner
  9. 138 Vinni
  10. 139 Saarinen
Draft Analyst
  1. 69 Nabokov
  2. 74 George
  3. 80 Moysevich
  4. 97 Zarubin
Chris Peters
  1. 62 Yegorov
  2. 76 Vinni
  3. 78 Moysevich
  4. 86 Gidlof
  5. 90 George
Pronman
  1. 39 Gidlof
  2. 55 Yegorov
  3. 56 Moysevich
  4. 57 Nabokov
  5. 72 Vinni
  6. 73 Zarubin

Scouching
  1. Vinni (mid 2nd)
  2. Gardner (late 2nd)
  3. Yegorov (2-3)
  4. George (Mid-Late)
  5. Leenders (Mid-Late)
  6. Yunin (Mid-Late)
  7. Bryzgalov (Mid-Late)
  8. Saarinen (Mid-Late)
  9. Neckar (Late)
  10. Muther (Late)

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
you can go on YouTube.

Jack is very healthy player btw. And other takes. So - yeah. I’m not here to break your limits.

Jack is finesse because he is a superstar point producing playmaker.
These types, generally speaking, are finesse. His brother Luke is tough, though. Even for his age and thin frame.
It's an indisputable fact, going by statistics, that North America produces vastly more bruiser and physically strong players than Euro countries. All we have to do is count. It's math.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Jack is finesse because he is a superstar point producing playmaker.
These types, generally speaking, are finesse. His brother Luke is tough, though. Even for his age and thin frame.
It's an indisputable fact, going by statistics, that North America produces vastly more bruiser and physically strong players than Euro countries. All we have to is count. It's math.
I was never high on American math education. There are other strong sides, but def-ly not math.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Does he really count as Russian prospect? Won't be playing in KHL/russian JRs.

That said, its surprising how much better the Russian system has been compared to AHL for all players. Only benefit for AHL over KHL is the forced learning of english.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad