Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would have liked to see another game or two for him but alas it's better that he play in junior games than ride the pine in the NHL at this point.

If the Habs actually lost a game in the last week or so, he would of played another game IMO. MB/MT/KM, just don't want to disrupt a good thing at the moment and I don't blame them.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good decision. I like how he'Ll be able to play in all types of tournaments....but let's not exagerrate the importance of them. No matter the WJC or the Mémorial Cup, he will still have to face MUCH MORE better teams next year than in those 2 events. He is not here 'cause he is not ready. Not because he needs to go down. But now, the great part is that he knows where he needs to be at.

Oh and by the way, don't panic if he doesn't start racking 10 points a game immediately. Look at Pierre-Luc Dubois start. And Dubois will be very good NHL'Er down the road.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good decision. I like how he'Ll be able to play in all types of tournaments....but let's not exagerrate the importance of them. No matter the WJC or the Mémorial Cup, he will still have to face MUCH MORE better teams next year than in those 2 events. He is not here 'cause he is not ready. Not because he needs to go down. But now, the great part is that he knows where he needs to be at.

Oh and by the way, don't panic if he doesn't start racking 10 points a game immediately. Look at Pierre-Luc Dubois start. And Dubois will be very good NHL'Er down the road.

Good point... Those guys are targets for other junior players to measure themselves up against. They don't fly under the radar that's for sure

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If people think him missing 5-6 more OHL games then he would've had he been sent down when he 'should have been' is really some colossal misstep and is going to derail his development then maybe it's time to just settle down and think for a bit.

Obviously he's gonna be a bust cause he missed between 5 and 10 OHL games :sarcasm:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders about the cap & roster implications. 20 roster players, cap $ freed up.

Who are they trading for?

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Would've liked to see him one more time before he went down, but I was expecting this anyways. Can't wait till he goes down to juniors and starts dominating.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
The Spitfire organization must be jumping for joy. Getting back the OHL defensemen of the year. Like others have said, he'll be back in Montreal next year.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
At Center position, it will be a rental player and at D, it will be a guy with terms IMO

Make sense. I wont be surprised if Plekanec/DD gets traded. Montréal window is this year and next to win the Cup and Bergevin knows that. Players coming back wont be the Vanek, Hudler, Vbrata type, but more like Brodie, Hartnell, Nick Foligno and Edler kind of players. Guys build for the playoffs.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I'm sure once he gets past his initial disappointment (for SURE he is upset), he'll be happier with this move. He got a taste of the big leagues, got some NHL cash, and saw what he needs to do to come back. At the same time, he is going back to a good team, with a shot at the Memorial Cup and a chance to play big minutes.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Wins OHL defenseman of the year
- Gets drafted 9th Overall
- Cracks the NHL line-up
- Plays his first NHL game
- Practices, travels, hangs out with, and learns from NHL professionals
- Wil play in the Subway Series for Rusia
- Will play at the WJC
- Will play in the Memorial Cup

* And if Habs make it deep into the playoffs, ECF or SCF, he can join the team again.

What a year for the Sergeant.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Wouldnt have been a bad idea to make him play one last game before sending him down to the OHL but still, its the right decision. He learned so much during October. He will be playing in Montreal next year.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
Actually yeah, 100% your words. I assume you have it from good authority that it's not Sergachev that by himself changed his style when confronted with how hard it is to play in the NHL.

Let's find a middle ground. Therrien is not in the develloping business, he's in the "win now" business like all coaches.

Sergachev is not stupid - he sees that. He's perfectly conscious about his own mistakes so he tries to play safe, to avoid being the one costing his team points. Playing "safe" means not playing his style.

So, indeed, it's probably Therrien's attitude that triggered the change in style - however, it's probably the same attitude 90% of the coaches in the NHL would have. When you want to get into the playoffs you can't afford losing points because of a rookie. Would not help him either in the long term - guilt and such.

Bottom line - the NHL in a competitive team (as in not a bottom feeder Leafs-like) is only good for developpement when you are NHL ready. Otherwise it will change you or break you and we don't want Sergachev to go through that.

When Subban started playing in the NHL he was ready. Not the case for Tinordi or Beaulieu.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
As a Windsor fan/resident/former STH - I was surprised how little games he got into, and was confused as to why, if he wasn't being played, he wasn't being sent back. I understand that being around the guys in the NHL can have lasting effects/influence/confidence building, etc., but nothing can replace game action.

What a boost to the Spitfires lineup!

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Well at least he got a NHL salary for a few weeks... that should last him for the year.

God damn. His base contract is $950, 000. Divided by 9 games = $102,777. :amazed::amazed:

I mean he still has to pay tax on it but still.....god damn

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
God damn. His base contract is $950, 000. Divided by 9 games = $102,777. :amazed::amazed:

I mean he still has to pay tax on it but still.....god damn

Also escrow, agent and other stuff. But he is a 9th round pick and he's playing in junior while others are still in the NHL. You have to give him the carrot too not just the stick.

Can someonet tell me how many 9+ drafts from last year are playing full time in the NHL ?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
- Wins OHL defenseman of the year
- Gets drafted 9th Overall
- Cracks the NHL line-up
- Plays his first NHL game
- Practices, travels, hangs out with, and learns from NHL professionals
- Wil play in the Subway Series for Rusia
- Will play at the WJC
- Will play in the Memorial Cup

* And if Habs make it deep into the playoffs, ECF or SCF, he can join the team again.

What a year for the Sergeant.

No kidding, what a year. Sounds tiring though haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad