Post-Game Talk: Mike Sullivan Hockey Baby!

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
I was just about to ask if he was at any Diddy parties. It's sad we all think he's so untouchable it's going to take a national scandal to do him in.

Don't laugh, with all the scandals that teams and national associations are being found to have covered up... This could be a legitimate reason why he's not turfed and has so much control. I obviously hope not, and I hope that this is the stupidest statement on these boards.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
If Sullivan was ever part of a scandal, theres a non zero chance that he takes a leave of absence, "gets help" and then returns to coach. This team will do anything to protect their precious little Sully

• Wow
Reactions: Duffy13

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I'd bet real money on Yohe hate-reading this site, lol.

images
Really disappointed when people shit on Yohe and don't add the fact he's eating something while performing the action.

For example: Id bet real money on Yohe hate reading this site while devouring 6 Arby's double roast beef sandwiches.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You know perhaps I'll get some flack for this but a part of me is just sad about the whole thing. Sullivan was a big part of back to back cups. He should be a treasured figure in Penguins lore. So should Bylsma.

But instead, Shero/GMJR/Hextall/Dubas all clung to their coaches for way too long and destroyed any goodwill those coaches generated.

And don't get me wrong, Bylsma and Sullivan also became massively stubborn and went from being good coaches to bad ones and they let their own egos and flaws overcome them. They're 100% not blameless in all this.

But I dunno I just think about it and for me it's a situation where both of them should have been fired long before it got to the point where they became that loathed by the fandom. This org always takes way too long to do the right thing.

It's just a sad situation all around and it could have been averted if Sullivan and the team had parted ways three or four years ago when it was first time to do so.

Reactions: cygnus47

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
Puljujarvi is in the top 100 of p/60 in the league atm, same kind of numbers as the likes of Sebastian Aho and Roope Hintz. I don't understand why he isn't being played with Eller as those two showed stellar chemistry earlier.
Eller and Juice look good and maybe you got Doc there but honestly who even gives a f*** anymore.

I'd bet real money on Yohe hate-reading this site, lol.

images
Oh I hope so. That stupid fat twat being called a journalist makes the entire professional full of f***ing losers, all of them on the athletic for the Pens. If they can't call out shit their own peers say, they can all go f*** each other and are shit.

Reactions: elmaco

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He's in the 4th line playing sub 10 minutes, what did you expect?
Don't rationalize with the highly irrational mate.

Pooljuice has worked hard each shift and has looked fine. Its insanely hard to get any momentum when you don't know if you're going to get healthy scratched after another good game or a bad game or be shafted all over the bottom 6 at either wing and idiotic minutes.

If he put up a lot of points with that kind of shit, he's better than Gretzky, Crosby, Mcdavid, and Mario combined.

Reactions: Whyme and elmaco

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
You know perhaps I'll get some flack for this but a part of me is just sad about the whole thing. Sullivan was a big part of back to back cups. He should be a treasured figure in Penguins lore. So should Bylsma.

But instead, Shero/GMJR/Hextall/Dubas all clung to their coaches for way too long and destroyed any goodwill those coaches generated.

And don't get me wrong, Bylsma and Sullivan also became massively stubborn and went from being good coaches to bad ones and they let their own egos and flaws overcome them. They're 100% not blameless in all this.

But I dunno I just think about it and for me it's a situation where both of them should have been fired long before it got to the point where they became that loathed by the fandom. This org always takes way too long to do the right thing.

It's just a sad situation all around and it could have been averted if Sullivan and the team had parted ways three or four years ago when it was first time to do so.
Shero clung on to Bylsma and it cost him his job, then Bylsma also was fired. The others had a far worse situation. Bylsma for his stubbornness at the time, at least he wasn't a weasel piece of shit like Sullivan. Disco didn't go above Ray or JR to get extensions with Mario and Burkle. It's funny anyone thinks These gms in the Sully era even have a choice. They all read from prepared media statements to talk up Sullivan the same way across 3 gms.

Sullivan, he's got the ownership on his side. Those Gm's aren't keeping him too long - ownership wants him here this long and would rather fire Gms or strip them of their power so they quit than fire him.

Yeah it's f***ing sad. We all say we're angry because we are but really it's from a place of being sad to see this franchise go straight to shit. At least with a walnut like Dan, the team was fun. This team now is just another sports franchise owned by a billion dollar entity that takes favouritism to insane heights.

I respect the f*** out of Dan more now because of how pathetic Sullivan is. At least a Disco f***ing found ways to win when Sid had scrambled brains, Geno missed half a season, Staal and his shit, etc. Yet he still f***ing got them to be a strong team, hell his post cup seasons blow Sullivan's out of the f***ing water.

Sullivan's cups aren't Sullivan's cups. They're Sullivan-Tocchet cups. That f***wad couldn't do any of that shit if they fired Tocchet with MJ. I 100% believe that they would not have won both cups if Sullivan didn't have Tocchet there to tell him to shut the f*** up when he had dumb ideas and worked with him to make changes to the system.

Since he lost Tocchet that dipshit hasn't figured a f***ing thing out and had others take the fall for his stupid ass. f*** Sullivan, f*** FSG.

Watch 80% of this board not give a shit once this team has a random hot streak for most of a month like they haven't learned a f***ing thing the last couple of years.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

IMO it’s a sign that the Pens higher ups got complacent and forgot to have actual values to stick by. I don’t think we’ve had any adults in the building since Shero got addicted to Bylsma and lost his balls and Mario checked out. Just a bunch of moochers looking to ride the gravy train with no desire to actually manage the organisation at any level. With the possible exception of the assistant coaches in 2015-17.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
IMO it’s a sign that the Pens higher ups got complacent and forgot to have actual values to stick by. I don’t think we’ve had any adults in the building since Shero got addicted to Bylsma and lost his balls and Mario checked out. Just a bunch of moochers looking to ride the gravy train with no desire to actually manage the organisation at any level. With the possible exception of the assistant coaches in 2015-17.
Wasn't it Mario and Burkle that wanted Bylsma fired as well as Shero and then just fired Shero and hired JR and let him decide and he fired Bylsma anyway?

Now all of a sudden crickets for Sullivan.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I'm sure Puljujarvi himself has mentioned earlier that it's hard for him to get going if he plays very little so I'm not surprised he's not at his best in the 4th line. I think his history in the Oilers (being punished very harshly for mistakes as the whole fanbase noticed) may also make him play extra safe when he's demoted to the 4th line and thus the production stops.

I don't think there's been so many posts from me or other Pulju's "fanboys" that I'd need to apologize, but I'm planning to step aside for now anyway to make sure I don't get carried away to a point where I do owe an apology 😊

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
What's really interesting is that Vancouver seems to pick up every spare part the Pens throw away, and have turned them into gold (okay, maybe silver).

I know this has been said before, but many have felt Tocchet was the REAL reason we won the back to back cups.

My take on the game....
+ Ned was good, but I'm surprised they didn't pull him after 4-2. Not because it was really his fault, but sometimes you do that when things fall apart like that.

+ Malkin/Crosby together was fun to watch. Even the way Crosby took out 2 players to give Malkin a breakaway :D.

- Sully sucks. The only reason a team can be this inconsistent is because they system is flawed. For example, I couldn't figure out how the Van D were able to pass straight to one of their players almost at our blue line! And then the receiving player had tons of time and space to do something with the puck. This happened a few times. I mean...is nobody in passing lanes? Are D, not pushing up to players?

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
What's really interesting is that Vancouver seems to pick up every spare part the Pens throw away, and have turned them into gold (okay, maybe silver).
Allvin, Rutherford, Tocchet, Gonchar all have their hand in that. Probably more JR than anything, cuz he's sentimental.
Even if Tocchet hasn't been here in a long time, he keeps tabs on the team. Knows what's going on and who can provide what.
Ned was good, but I'm surprised they didn't pull him after 4-2. Not because it was really his fault, but sometimes you do that when things fall apart like that.
Blom got assaulted the previous night with 50 shots. You have to let him rest. Not only because his form would probably be poor in the 2nd night, but also because that's a great way to get him hurt.
We'd be left with no goalies who can crack .880.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Since Pens aren't going to win anything anyways...would love to see Sully play Malkin and Crosby together permanently and let them rack up the points. Would be awesome if they could manage to both put up 110+ pts together in their late 30s. Would also show all the McDrai fanboys that prime Crosby and Malkin could have easily scored 130+ pts in this era if they were played together constantly like McDrai

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Since Pens aren't going to win anything anyways...would love to see Sully play Malkin and Crosby together permanently and let them rack up the points. Would be awesome if they could manage to both put up 110+ pts together in their late 30s. Would also show all the McDrai fanboys that prime Crosby and Malkin could have easily scored 130+ pts in this era if they were played together constantly like McDrai
Sid and Geno have sucked together on a line for like 90% of their careers whenever they tried it.
They forcefeed each other pucks and try to show-off, instead of doing what needs to be done. Malkin's respect for Sid has him hyper-focused on him. It clouds his judgment and breaks his flow.
It wouldn't work out at all like you're saying. It'd be better than the current 1st line because the bar is so goddamn low, but it wouldn't hold a candle to last year's L1.

McDavid and Draisaitl is not a thriving combination just because they're elite players. They have actual chemistry, matching skillsets and are focused on making optimal decisions.
They are capable of identifying when the other is covered and when to defer to the other winger or D-men. They also know when to hang onto the puck and when to shoot.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Ironically, if we put Crosby and Malkin together it would be to get CROSBY going.

Malkin is having an incredible start to this season when you consider just how bad the vast majority of his teammates are playing, and how bad his coach is coaching.
It would help Sid a little but slow down Malkin a lot imo. He can't concentrate when they're on a line together.
First and foremost, Sid's not gonna start producing well with anyone at ES until he starts moving his legs again. I wouldn't put his effort level this season anywhere past like 60%. It's a joke.
People will use the usual cop-out with age, but that's crap. He was moving way better in pre-season vs Ottawa. This is a mental/desire thing.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad