Player Discussion Mike Matheson

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I said "holding back Hutson" not holding back his play.
Ok, That make more sense… but still Hutson wasn’t on the team last year and people still completely disrespect Matheson. That being said Hutson as played 3 NHL game the fact that he isn’t getting PP1 isn’t completely crazy he still got the 2nd most PP minute and if people want to dump on anyone because they are angry that Hutson isn’t getting PP1 why would it be Matheson and not the coach who is making the decision…

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
1728609626850.gif

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Matheson be traded at some point. Move Guhle back to natural position. Guhle and Reinbacher make great second pairing someday. Hutson first left D. Trade for #1 right D. Makes awesome top 4.

Slafkofield

May 1, 2022
Matheson be traded at some point. Move Guhle back to natural position. Guhle and Reinbacher make great second pairing someday. Hutson first left D. Trade for #1 right D. Makes awesome top 4.
I see Reinbacher being a better fit with Hutson and maybe Mailloux with Guhls, trading for a RD1 will be very hard, unless we draft one in the upcoming draft.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Guhle will likely be the top-minute guy over Hutson.

Nothing wrong with Guhle on the right side. Lapointe and Savard made Hall of Fame careers over there. Same with Orr, Potvin and Salming. Dahlin today.

You want good offense from first pairing. Gives good secondary scoring and better powerplay.
Hence Matheson-Guhle.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Guhle will likely be the top-minute guy over Hutson.

Nothing wrong with Guhle on the right side. Lapointe and Savard made Hall of Fame careers over there. Same with Orr, Potvin and Salming. Dahlin today.

Hence Matheson-Guhle.

Guhle on the right with Hutson is fine for this season while we have Matheson, but it doesn't make sense long term with Reinbacher and Mailloux both making the team at some point.

I know people are upset with Matheson being on PP1, but for the people who actually want him traded, what do you think our D looks like without him? He has his warts, but he's like top 5 league wide in ice time. Who is replacing that? Lane and Guhle can pick up a little slack, but they already play decent minutes. Unless Mailloux's big first game in the AHL has cured him of whatever was wrong was wrong in the preseason and he's now ready for top 4 NHL minutes, we just don't have anyone else to take those minutes.

PP2 and second pairing is a great spot for Matheson right now. No way we can trade him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Guhle on the right with Hutson is fine for this season while we have Matheson, but it doesn't make sense long term with Reinbacher and Mailloux both making the team at some point.

I know people are upset with Matheson being on PP1, but for the people who actually want him traded, what do you think our D looks like without him? He has his warts, but he's like top 5 league wide in ice time. Who is replacing that? Lane and Guhle can pick up a little slack, but they already play decent minutes. Unless Mailloux's big first game in the AHL has cured him of whatever was wrong was wrong in the preseason and he's now ready for top 4 NHL minutes, we just don't have anyone else to take those minutes.

PP2 and second pairing is a great spot for Matheson right now. No way we can trade him.

This might work, with more balanced ice time:

Hutson - Guhle
Matheson - Struble
Xhekaj - Savard

With the way Dach doesn't shoot the puck enough, I wouldn't mind a pp1 of:

Slaf
Caufiled Matheson Suzuki
Hutson

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
This might work, with more balanced ice time:

Hutson - Guhle
Matheson - Struble
Xhekaj - Savard

With the way Dach doesn't shoot the puck enough, I wouldn't mind a pp1 of:

Slaf
Caufiled Matheson Suzuki
Hutson

It would mean our entire top 4 and 5 of our starting 6 shoots left, but there's nothing to be done about that now. That's how I'd have the line-up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad