Mike Bossy vs Pavel Bure who's the better goal scorer all time?

Who's the better goal scorer all time Mike Bossy or Pavel Bure?

• Mike Bossy

Votes: 53 79.1%
  • Pavel Bure

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Doesn't hockey reference essentially come that that same per-game conclusion?
Would a bit complicated to know with the schedule moving around, there 80 games season, 48 games season in there, without some effort if you look at their numbers, 94-95 was Bure best year in that regard.

I am not 100% sure Bossy season are boosted to 82 games for his goals but they keep 80 games played i think, so we would need to manually calculate what is going on.

Perhaps you are conflating adjusted stats (factoring in the scoring environment) with extrapolations for missed games (pretending a player had a characteristic that they did not have), but that is a mistake.
If the conversation is about who was better to put the puck in the net during a game you do not need to extrapolate for missed game.

Put it that way, are you certain Ovechkin score more than 11 goals if he was playing on team Canada 1987 instead of him ?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Would a bit complicated to know with the schedule moving around, there 80 games season, 48 games season in there, without some effort if you look at their numbers, 94-95 was Bure best year in that regard.

I don't think that's going to be all that significant of a difference.

I am not 100% sure Bossy season are boosted to 82 games for his goals but they keep 80 games played i think, so we would need to manually calculate what is going on.

Again, you're talking about a 2.5% difference. At that point our precision is exceeding our accuracy.

Regardless, the hockey reference equation (IIRC) is supposed to factor in games per season and equate to a standard of 82.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Again, you're talking about a 2.5% difference. At that point our precision is exceeding our accuracy.
coming from someone that use 72 > 71 to say Ovechkin peak season > Lemieux peak season ;) that rich.

yes for the 82->80, but for a lockout season that start to get big (for player with really short career).

Regardless, the hockey reference equation (IIRC) is supposed to factor in games per season and equate to a standard of 82.
Yes that what make complicated using their result per game, you need to refactor back, Weiland scored 70 adjusted goals in 44 games in 1930, they mean a 70 goals in a 82 game season. It get a bit complicated for Bossy-Bure when season game change during their career, I am sure it is close looking at it, which keep the Bossy vs Bure alive, and put the answer it is close, Bossy had more the chance to do it and did it, so all time he is obviously the higher scorer, who was better at scoring goal, pick the one you like, Bure as a really good argument to be the best ever at it.

or an other way to say it, no way the Islanders trade Bossy for Bure (that a cheap shot considering the 4 cups, they probably do not trade him for Jagr either...., so meaningless here) and the 1994 Canucks keep Bure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad