Value of: Mikael Granlund to a contender

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Save Baby Jesus! The guy has been playing the best hockey in his career, on the worst team in the league last season and the start of this. His marriage-problems are behind him and other issues. If his teammates actually could score he would have a lot more points. One of the best setup-players in the league and can play C and W. At 5M/yr he would absolutely be an asset on a team contending as a setup-man, if he only would have a scorer on his line.

2023-2024 69gp 12g 48a 60p on SHARKS

2024-2025 6gp 0g 6a 6p on SHARKS

Last game he got 0+1 again. He setup maybe 4-5 chances to score additionally, but his teammates absolutely cant finnish.
quality player but Rs have min assets to fit, esp after squandering on rentals in recent prior yrs

howev....

My guess is a first round pick. There's a decent chance that the Sharks want to keep him and he wants to stay
Rs can't afford 1st round pick given recent years overindulgent splurging. Howev, can do something equiv to late 1sr rounder a contender would fork over

Also, he'd be a placeholder for Gabe P on 1st line who we think gets here for next season, tho maybe a bit later
translation, Gran would be a short term rental, most likely this yr only or mid following season
would not be long term w/Rs

If we can't get a first, I might just re-sign him. He's a really good complimentary winger for our young kids. However, if we can get a first then we have someone who better fits our core. SJ can take back a bad contract (as long as it's under 2.25 years, and/or could throw in a 3rd/4th to an intermediary to retain $2.5M at the deadline. Given he plays all three forward positions, plays hard, is solid both ways, and playing quite well, got to think a lot of teams will have interest.
taking into account all of the above...

Lindgren 4.5 expiring + Jones + Vesey + prospects Sykora + McConnel-Barker
for
Granlund + Thrun

flip Lindy + 2 3rds for 2 2nds!!

somethin like dat

and no, Kakko, Ohtmann Perrault not available esp since bread is buh bye after next season at the latest

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
quality player but Rs have min assets to fit, esp after squandering on rentals in recent prior yrs

howev....

Rs can't afford 1st round pick given recent years overindulgent splurging. Howev, can do something equiv to late 1sr rounder a contender would fork over

Also, he'd be a placeholder for Gabe P on 1st line who we think gets here for next season, tho maybe a bit later
translation, Gran would be a short term rental, most likely this yr only or mid following season
would not be long term w/Rs

taking into account all of the above...

Lindgren 4.5 expiring + Jones + Vesey + prospects Sykora + McConnel-Barker
for
Granlund + Thrun

flip Lindy + 2 3rds for 2 2nds!!

somethin like dat

and no, Kakko, Ohtmann Perrault not available esp since bread is buh bye after next season at the latest
Absolutely not. That's a garbage offer with no value to SJ. You aren't getting Granlund for free and dumping cap on top.

Reactions: matt trick

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Truly bizarre how bad he was in Pittsburgh. Showed absolutely nothing. I thought he was on his way out of the NHL. Seems is becoming a trend with those that get away from Sullivan.
He was asked to play a grinder role. He was invisible which is ok in that role. I still believe he was mainly brought in to fill a scoring role in case of injuries in the playoffs that the Pens didn't make.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Absolutely not. That's a garbage offer with no value to SJ. You aren't getting Granlund for free and dumping cap on top.
2 decent F prospects, useful keeper D in Jones
Lindy + 2 picks = 2 better picks
Vesey too small to be considered cap dump

I get you want best possible offer
this prop compares favorably to late 1st

let's see what solid bids there are/are not

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Those prospects aren't useful to SJ. Jones has no place. Lindgren is a cap dump with no place. Vesey is worthless. Literally nothing at all useful for a legit top 6 do-it-all player who's a leader.

Reactions: mattihp

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

San Jose has loads of decent prospects, particularly at forward and left handed d. I expect we’ll be drafting another of those in the top 3. In addition to Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, and Gushchin (who made the team out of camp) we have Musty, Bystedt, Chernyshov, and Haltunnen as top 35 picks, and Graf and Cardwell performing well in the AHL.

I’d much rather get one piece for Granlund. I’d also like to see SJ trade up a lot for the same reason. More quality, less quantity.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
San Jose has loads of decent prospects, particularly at forward and left handed d. I expect we’ll be drafting another of those in the top 3. In addition to Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, and Gushchin (who made the team out of camp) we have Musty, Bystedt, Chernyshov, and Haltunnen as top 35 picks, and Graf and Cardwell performing well in the AHL.

I’d much rather get one piece for Granlund. I’d also like to see SJ trade up a lot for the same reason. More quality, less quantity.
that is fair
howev
Sykora + MB [BMB], while not elite are quality and can play pivot
also Lindgren + 2 lesser picks for 2 better picks = net +.

Your premise is quality Granlund for single-ish quality piece coming back
but usually higher end cheaper pieces are not available b'c once on board they help deal w/cap

I agree w/trading up helps address that
adding to Gran. could/should prompt a higher quality piece
BUT
it's gonna cost

Let's see what offers turn up and review objectively after

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad