Microsoft Xbox Discussion Part II

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The other thing that sticks out about The Little Mermaid and other existing white or male characters that women or non-white actors or video game characters have portrayed, was the nature of the complaints at the time. It was something like "don't take existing characters and make them black or female". Which is a complaint I didn't agree with in general, but at least there was some semblance of a point there.

But now, even when we see brand new characters, if they're not a white man and they're doing anything other than existing in the background, you'll see an insane amount of comments about how they shouldn't be there at all. Bizarrely - as Jussi pointed out - even when that character was a real person that existed, somehow it's still a problem.

----

Anyways, Microsoft actually had a shockingly strong showing with their showcase. They really needed that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That wasnt directed towards you what so ever, i didnt even mention you or quote you in the post, But you did take it personally so i am inclined to think it does upset you.
Oh I was never mad, that's why I originally quoted you because I didn't understand if you were quoting me or not. People can make whatever they want and however they want to make it. My original post was an observation instead of a criticism.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Oh I was never mad, that's why I originally quoted you because I didn't understand if you were quoting me or not. People can make whatever they want and however they want to make it. My original post was an observation instead of a criticism.
Gotchya. Stuff like this is hard to pick up over the internet and for me as well. My apologies. But yeah it wasnt directed towards you even the slightest.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
That was as good of a showcase as I could've reasonably expected.

Perfect Dark was the highlight for me, looks like Cyberpunk's gameplay minus the open world and RPG stuff. The article on the Xbox blog mentions that its an immersive sim as well. Really looking forward to seeing more of that.

Doom is a close second, I like how they are changing things up with each new game. Looks slower paced and more tactical than Eternal.

The new trailer for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is a big improvement from when they last showed the game, day one pickup for me.

Shattered Space looks good as well, I like the darker tone but wouldve liked to see a date. Awesome to see the Creation Kit being released.

I'm intrigued by Expedition 33, the combat reminds me of the Mario and Luigi series of all things and the visuals are nice.

I was already sold on Avowed so the new trailer and gameplay demo didn't really do much for me. No date announcement was a bit weird but Obsidian accidentally leaked it on their website, November 12th. That date is only a few days before Assassins Creed comes out so seems likely it will be changed.

Never played an MGS game but I like the look of Delta, will probably give it a shot.

COD looks alright, I'll probably renew my Game Pass sub for a month when it comes out. Same with Flight Sim 2024.

The rest were either cinematic trailers or games I'm not interested in.

Overall, I thought it would be tough to beat last year's show but this cleared it pretty easily.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Right? Seeing people get upset at this or even point it out bugs me. Now imagine being a women or someone from a marginalized group with literally decades of no representation.
It’s not grinding my gears or anything but I think it’s a true statement that guys playing videogames feel more immersed and connected to the game/character if it’s a male. There were A LOT of female protagonists in this showcase. A lot. It’s not ideal for me personally but I understand the shifting tides of the industry.

Perfect Dark and that South of Midnight(?) looked really cool though

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just to add to the previous posts, there's some rumors that they might do another Showcase type to highlight games that have been previously announced and are closer to release but didn't make the June Showcase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad