Michel Goulet: 1982-83 to 1987-88

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
How do we all rate Goulet in the six years mentioned? His stats for Quebec are pretty mega in this period. His playoff stats are fine -- disappointing in '83 and '84 (two goals in 13 games), but very good from '85 to '87. He was selected for Team Canada at the Canada Cup twice in this period (Keenan liked him), winning at both.

His actual goal and points those six seasons:
1983: 57 G, 105 PTS
1984: 56 G, 122 PTS
1985: 55 G, 95 PTS (missed 11 games)
1986: 53 G, 104 PTS
1987: 49 G, 96 PTS
1988: 48 G, 106 PTS

There are only two full seasons in there, so his stats would have been even higher. Possible 60-goal season in 1984, definite 60-goal season in 1985 if not for injury. So, could have had back-to-back 60's.

Albeit it's somewhat era-dependent, he is only three goals in two seasons away from having had six straight 50-goal seasons (which is what Lafleur had; i.e., the third most in history behind Bossy and Gretzky). Narrowly missed that. (If you go by 'adjusted stats' on Hockey Ref., he still had six straight 40+ goal seasons here.)

Here's how Goulet's stats rank for this six-season period:

6th (behind Gretzky, Kurri, Savard, Stastny, Hawerchuk)
EVEN STRENTH POINTS
5th
GOALS
3rd (behind Gretzky, Kurri)
ASSISTS
13th (he's in there with Trottier and Bobby Smith)
POINTS-PER-GAME
8th (he'd be sixth without Gretzky / Lemieux, but he still finishes ahead of Hawerchuk and Messier)
GOALS FINISHES
2, 4, 4, 5, 6, 9
POINTS FINISHES
3, 8, 8, 9

Seems like his absolute peak was definitely 1983-84 and 1984-85. He was at 62 goals / 80GP those two seasons. Five goals in 8GP at Canada Cup '84, too.

Seems a nice guy, btw...? Everyone seems to like him.

How did/do you rate Goulet at his best?
Who did he mainly play with in Quebec in these prime years?

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
How did/do you rate Goulet at his best?
Who did he mainly play with in Quebec in these prime years?

I thought he was a very good winger, not sure how I would rank him among all the wingers in the 80s. There were a lot of good scoring wingers back then. I would need to think about it more( I might edit my post).

He mostly played with Dale Hunter at ES, Stastny on the PP probably.

col_goulet.jpg

Reactions: The Panther

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
How come no one ever brings this guy up? I never hear about him.

He was one of the best wingers in the League during his prime. A good comparable from the last few years would be Rantanen or Marner.

Reactions: Dingo and wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He was one of the best wingers in the League during his prime. A good comparable from the last few years would be Rantanen or Marner.
Sure maybe but then like now the best players tended to be playing center and to me Goulet is sorta like Luc robitaille in a way not really quite as impactful as his stats suggest.

He is also a bit like Lafleur as far as career arc goes, starts off okayish has a great 6 year run but then kinda average after 87-88 when injuries starting taking a toll.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018

not sure just how much Rantanen or Marner will be brought up in 40 years. If one wins a Ross, Smythe or Richard, much better chance that they will be remembered better than Goulet.

I THINK everyone knows Goulet's name, at least, which is something after all these years. I heard a lot about the Stastny's back then, but I knew who Goulet was. I would think maybe he was a bigger sell in Quebec?

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
We all know that plus/minus has its limitations, but I was surprised to see a huge difference between Goulet and Stastny in several years:
  • in 1982, Goulet was +35 while Stastny was -10. (Stastny outscored Goulet 139-84 overall, and 86-61 at even strength, so Stastny must have been on the ice for a ton of goals against)
  • in 1984, Goulet was +62 (behind only Gretzky, Trottier and Bossy) while Stastny was +22.
  • in 1988, it was the opposite story - Stastny was +2 while Goulet was -31 (4th worst in the NHL).
To get these types of results, they must have spent a fair amount of time playing apart.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The nordiques never really had much of a spotlight. Their appeal was more regional based than any other Canadian franchise.

I can't speak for the 80s, but I can't recall a nords game broadcast nationally in english in the 90s although there may have been incidental occasions. Even on French networks, it was almost always the Habs games being shown on the national hnic broadcasts.

It's easy to have certain guys off your radar when the exposure level is very low to begin with.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I can't speak for the 80s, but I can't recall a nords game broadcast nationally in english in the 90s although there may have been incidental occasions. Even on French networks, it was almost always the Habs games being shown on the national hnic broadcasts.
Carling O'Keefe Brewing owned the Nordiques while Molson Brewing owned the Canadiens. Molson was the top sponsor for Hockey Night in Canada on CBC and so Quebec was never shown on national broadcasts, which was unique to them amongst Canadian teams.

It's the classic long-game: Freeze out your rival until their team moves, taking your franchise goaltender with them, while hockey participation in your province wanes to the point that you're producing approximately as much NHL talent as Latvia or Norway.

Seems petty and bush-league to me, but it's the same kind of thinking that's preventing another team in the GTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Goulet was a really good player. Smart and tough (in the sense that he wasn't soft). And a very good goal-scorer. Good shooter, could score well from mid-range, off the rush, and excellent at darting in and otherwise scoring in close. Good skater and puck-carrier, but not outstanding.

His best years were on a line with Dale Hunter.

As a great goal-scorer, he probably could've scored 70 or even 80 in a season playing with Gretzky or Lemieux.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He was really good. Certainly one of the best during that time at what was largely a weak LW position. Good defensively too. Gritty for a top liner too. Quite underrated due to playing in Quebec.

I remember a quote of his that after playing with Gretzky at the Canada Cup in 84, he was amazed. Goulet said if he was normally on Gretzkys wing he would score 100 goals.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Maybe overshadowed by Stastny perhaps. Or maybe playing LW which is by far the weakest position historically in hockey as far as name recognition goes. But yes he was a bona fide star.

Still effective in Chicago, had a 65 and 63 point season in Chicago at his best.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
It feels like Stastny brothers and their story did overshadow him quite a bit star power wise (and the whole MTL Canadians).

He was not big on the media, unlike a Bossy who worked a lot in them or for them and became a much bigger household name in Quebec despite playing in the state (apparently a Bossy-Goulet trade got really close to happen in 1977 in the junior for a memorial cup run)

He went to work for the Avs, than flames-ducks post playing career, I do not remember ads with him or anything like that, he is a bit of a shy guy, I maybe heard the name Alain Cote more than Goulet growing up...

Playing good minute and scoring with Team Canada in best on best tournament tend to say a lot. Keenan was not big about playing empty calories numbers players.

That a player that grew up (quite rural place, MIstassini got an indoor rink when he was 15) playing hockey outside with his 7 brothers and was midget C before being draft in the Q and scoring like 70 goals there

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It feels like Stastny brothers and their story did overshadow him quite a bit star power wise (and the whole MTL Canadians).

He was not big on the media, unlike a Bossy who worked a lot in them or for them and became a much bigger household name in Quebec despite playing in the state (apparently a Bossy-Goulet trade got really close to happen in 1977 in the junior for a memorial cup run)

He went to work for the Avs, than flames-ducks post playing career, I do not remember ads with him or anything like that, he is a bit of a shy guy, I maybe heard the name Alain Cote more than Goulet growing up...

Playing good minute and scoring with Team Canada in best on best tournament tend to say a lot. Keenan was not big about playing empty calories numbers players.

That a player that grew up (quite rural place, MIstassini got an indoor rink when he was 15) playing hockey outside with his 7 brothers and was midget C before being draft in the Q and scoring like 70 goals there

I also assume there isn’t an intact Quebec Nordiques fanbase from that era that’s passing on the memory of those 80s teams and talking about those players with any current young generation. Would assume those hockey fans in QC would have moved on to another franchise after nearly 3 decades.

Reactions: The Pale King

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, his first two full seasons in Chicago, he did all right. In 1991, the Blackhawks were 1st overall, and Goulet had 27 goals in 74 games, went +27. I think he mostly played with Roenick.

March 1994, had that brutal injury at the Montreal Forum where he flew head-first into the boards. Ended his career.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that's a solid summation. Goulet was an elite scorer but not an "empty calories" scorer. Really good player.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In case anyone never saw it, here's the fairly strange fall that ended Michel Goulet's career (right beside Patrick Roy, who calls for a trainer right away):

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Marner is a very odd comparison.

Right out of the gate, Michel Goulet was an elite goal scorer and Mitch Marner certainly is not, but also, Goulet went to areas on the ice in order to score goals that Marner avoids.

I wouldn't trade prime Goulet for two Mitch Marner's.

Reactions: Dale53130 and barbu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad