Memories - Video / Audio / Articles from the historic 2017-18 championship season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Niskanen's comments about going to the White House are indefensible. Everything's political, whether you like it or not. The absence of discussing "politics" in sports is a political stance as much as discussing it is. Standing for national anthems before games is as political as it gets. If you're making the (political) choice to go, that's your choice, but don't pretend it's not what it is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Niskanen's comments about going to the White House are indefensible. Everything's political, whether you like it or not. The absence of discussing "politics" in sports is a political stance as much as discussing it is. Standing for national anthems before games is as political as it gets. If you're making the (political) choice to go, that's your choice, but don't pretend it's not what it is.

Say what....

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Most Capitals say they will visit the White House after winning the Stanley Cup

Matt Niskanen (American): “I don’t have a really public opinion on that whole situation. Whatever the team decides to do I’ll support it. I’m an athlete, not a political pundit. I don’t believe these things should be mixed. Politics aside, the White House is a cool building, the presidency is a pretty cool thing. I never really understood why sports and that stuff gets mixed together but I guess it’s kind of a cool thing.”

Reactions: 5minutemajor

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You can respect the office and not make it political. His stance is one any respectful visitor to a foreign country in his position should take IMO. He understands his responsibility as an employee to the Caps. No issue with that from me.

It’s about as much of a non-political statement as he can make.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You can respect the office and not make it political. His stance is one any respectful visitor to a foreign country in his position should take IMO. He understands his responsibility as an employee to the Caps. No issue with that from me.

It’s about as much of a non-political statement as he can make.
He's American.

But otherwise, I agree. He's gonna go with his team.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Niskanen's comments about going to the White House are indefensible.
Not really.
Everything's political, whether you like it or not.
Definitely not.
The absence of discussing "politics" in sports is a political stance as much as discussing it is.
No it isn't.
Standing for national anthems before games is as political as it gets.
I am beginning to think you don't know what politics is.
If you're making the (political) choice to go, that's your choice, but don't pretend it's not what it is.
See above.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I don't see the problem. That's about as neutral and reasonable as you can get.

I understand if some athletes want to make a statement and others don't. That's their choice and is the most American thing possible. Some say "shut up and do your job" but they'd never say that to a plumber or a firefighter who talks about issues. Why are athletes and actors fair game (seemingly depending on WHAT they're saying)? Some then say "well they have more visibility because they're famous so it's not fair", but to that I say "aren't you the same people who defend the right of the individual to earn as much money as possible, and therefore influence the world via the nature of CAPITALism?" Why should they be silent when others who have worked/achieved less can say more?

As a side note, keep in mind all these guys have played on a team with government buildings into the various logos, so it's not like there's never been some kind of potential for crossover. Our rally was in the shadow of monuments. This is a political town. But if you're an athlete in the middle of it maybe you have to make a conscious decision to stay out of it publicly.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I don't see the problem. That's about as neutral and reasonable as you can get.

The problem is that it seems to imply that people (like, say, DSP) brought politics into it and should be blamed for that. But, yeah, you can also read it as basically bristling at having to be asked about it by the reporters and just wanting to get out of the question.

Definitely not.
I mean, factually, it is. Issues that are categorized under "politics" are present in pretty much everything that happens day-to-day, sports and anywhere else. It's a describable fact. People can choose not to focus on the connection, but it exists regardless of that choice. And yes, not making "political" statements is a political choice. It's an acceptance of the status quo. It's OK, but let's understand it as what it is.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

Just to save everybody some time, so basically no sports team should go to WH as long as trump is there correct? So until there is a sitting president that you support all teams should forfeit the privilege and honor of being invited to the WH?

Im my humble opinion they should all go and enjoy it. F the warriors F the eagles

Reactions: 5minutemajor

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Just to save everybody some time, so basically no sports team should go to WH as long as trump is there correct? So until there is a sitting president that you support all teams should forfeit the privilege and honor of being invited to the WH?

Im my humble opinion they should all go and enjoy it. F the warriors F the eagles
I think it's fine if they go. I don't think it's fine if anyone thinks it's not fine DSP won't go. ;)

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Bull Shit! NFL TV ratings/revenue are going down. Heard some talking heads note that unlike some other sports where the TV revenue benefits player salaries that it's not the case with the NFL but had it been you'd see a lot less peacocking done by NFL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad