I was trying to take a cute pic and she had other plans

Attachments

• IMG_2864.jpeg
    IMG_2864.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Got a voice mail from the optometrists office this morning that my glasses were ready.

Went to pick them up. Receptionist couldn't find them. I said I got a voice mail this morning. She said, from this location? I said yes.

Receptionist calls across to tech helping another customer: "Cynthia, did you call Bruinaura and tell her we had her glasses?" "No, I didn't call anyone this morning about picking up glasses."

:huh:

I pull out my phone and play the voice mail for the receptionist. "Hi, this is Cynthia, your glasses are ready for pickup."

Receptionist: that's her!

Me: yes, it would seem so

"Cynthia, she has a voice mail message from you. Let's look again."

Finally they find them.

Cynthia: see, what happened was they dropped them off from another location.

:skeptic: (That doesn't explain how you could forget calling me literally 20 minutes ago?!?!!)

Anyway....she then hands me the glasses.

They are sunglasses.

I said "I ordered transitions lenses."

She said "yes, they are polarized."

Me, mind boggling at this point: "transitions lenses.... transition.... from light to dark outside and back. These are permanently shaded."

"Well we can order them and have that done if you want"

Me :banghead:: "yes, that's what I originally ordered!"

So now it will probably be another week before I get them. So close, and yet so far....

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

I’m just a bit older than Chara and recently played my first Ice hockey game since 1994, and by game I mean D league Bambi on ice never ever gonna watch the video ever…….I bet my body went through more stress playing that game than Chara’s did that entire Ironman….. that guy is just on another level.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Sadly or maybe not so sadly my time as a “dad” has come to an end. On july 3rd and 4th my ex bothered me about helping send money for the babies(grandsons) birthday on the 5th. I did and waited all day on the 5th and didnt even get an invite. Txted her telling her to leave me alone and not to txt me anymore. One the girls txted me “pops” the next day. I txted her back saying idk who that is since Im not even invited to birthdays and told her I am over it. Havent heard from any of them and hope I dont. Shit hurts spent 6 years of my life trying to help raise and guide these girls but unfortunately 2 of them are just like their mom. Users……..it will sting for awhile but nothing else I can do but move forward like I been doing

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sadly or maybe not so sadly my time as a “dad” has come to an end. On july 3rd and 4th my ex bothered me about helping send money for the babies(grandsons) birthday on the 5th. I did and waited all day on the 5th and didnt even get an invite. Txted her telling her to leave me alone and not to txt me anymore. One the girls txted me “pops” the next day. I txted her back saying idk who that is since Im not even invited to birthdays and told her I am over it. Havent heard from any of them and hope I dont. Shit hurts spent 6 years of my life trying to help raise and guide these girls but unfortunately 2 of them are just like their mom. Users……..it will sting for awhile but nothing else I can do but move forward like I been doing
It seems that these same people keep using you for $$$ and are not good to you.

How many times are you going to let them do this to you?

1720461258115.png

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Pretty sure our fridge died. Hopefully can get a tech out tomorrow to look at it and tell us if it’s salvageable. The freezer is still working.

Over the last 2 weeks we’ve removed 7 trees, had the stumps ground out, and installed a fence. Replaced the roof earlier this year. Now this.

HOMEOWNERSHIP IS TRASH.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Pretty sure our fridge died. Hopefully can get a tech out tomorrow to look at it and tell us if it’s salvageable. The freezer is still working.

Over the last 2 weeks we’ve removed 7 trees, had the stumps ground out, and installed a fence. Replaced the roof earlier this year. Now this.

HOMEOWNERSHIP IS TRASH.
It’s an endless stream of paying for one thing and then watching something else go wrong! An endless cycle that I know all too well.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

HOMEOWNERSHIP IS TRASH.
Stump grinding is sneaky expensive.

I get it, its the same crew back another day with a big machine but way less dramatic than day 1 for the same money.

When I compare rent vs. own, even when you take out principal payments, Mortgage interest + Taxes + Insurance +Utilities + Maintenance, I could rent something nice, bank the same principal, and be free for the weekends. I usually budget $500/mo for maintenance and always seem to blow it.

Its worth it with kids to have a consistent place so you dont have to move schools but I don't buy that I am coming out ahead in the rent vs. own game and I have bought/sold 4 of them! I could have just threw the extra money in the S and P 500 and came out ahead.

In other news, I just paid off my 7 year 0% interest mass save heat loan for a house I sold in 2019. That's some interest rate arbitrage/home improvement that worked in my favor haha. Put everything into that loan asbestos abatement, chimney liner, boiler, insulation.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

HOMEOWNERSHIP IS TRASH.
I’m glad I rent

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
With all the madness in the world right now, I just wanted to put this right here. It is true, if only people would realize how much a small act of kindness can have a ripple effect. I know we aren't allowed to talk about specific political and religious issues, so this is the closest I will get. Just remember:

View attachment 893224

It's also National Chocolate with Almonds day! Another chocolate celebration!
View attachment 893227

I recall someone who observed a window washer over time.

One day, she and her companion "recognized" this person, expressing their appreciation for his daily effort.

I believe Caz and hubby gave this fellow a gift card, but more, simple human recognition.

My understanding is that this gesture meant a great deal.

Open a door for a stranger. Smile. Acknowledge.

This is the shit, people.

This is what matters.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
prayers up for our fanbase in Texas as Hurricane Beryl impacts that state throughout today.....
Thank you.

It was a stressful day, but I made it through relatively unscathed. I live on a small street with good drainage, but the one drain clogs. So I was out during the brunt of the storm in rubber boots un-clogging the drain.

The miracle is that I have power, as so many don't. That will be an issue today, as the hurricane brought cooler temps Monday; but Tuesday will be hot.

The one good thing is, amidst so much hostility in our world today, everyone comes together to help their neighbors.

To answer the question, I've been through too many of these - Alicia, Alison, Rita, Ike, Harvey, Beryl, etc.I remember Alison hit the night Ray Bourque won his Cup.

And speaking of which, as Beryl left Houston, it headed toward Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, and Montreal. Sort of a Bruins theme. ;) Of course, I wish safety to everyone in those cities, and others along Beryl's path.
image-2024-07-07t171824-982-668b062f9f726.png

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thank you.

It was a stressful day, but I made it through relatively unscathed. I live on a small street with good drainage, but the one drain clogs. So I was out during the brunt of the storm in rubber boots un-clogging the drain.

The miracle is that I have power, as so many don't. That will be an issue today, as the hurricane brought cooler temps Monday; but Tuesday will be hot.

The one good thing is, amidst so much hostility in our world today, everyone comes together to help their neighbors.

To answer the question, I've been through too many of these - Alicia, Alison, Rita, Ike, Harvey, Beryl, etc.I remember Alison hit the night Ray Bourque won his Cup.

And speaking of which, as Beryl left Houston, it headed toward Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, and Montreal. Sort of a Bruins theme. ;) Of course, I wish safety to everyone in those cities, and others along Beryl's path.
image-2024-07-07t171824-982-668b062f9f726.png
I'm so glad to hear you made it through without any major issues. It is heartwarming to hear the stories of neighbours helping one another. You have experienced a lot of hurricanes! I hope everyone else in its path is as fortunate.

The track right now is going straight through where we live near Kitchener but it diminishes as it travels over land. We are being warned we may get 2" of rain per hour, very unusual for us. It will test our sump pump - we have a backup on it in case the power goes. We learned that lesson several years ago late on a Saturday night!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Stump grinding is sneaky expensive.

I get it, its the same crew back another day with a big machine but way less dramatic than day 1 for the same money.

When I compare rent vs. own, even when you take out principal payments, Mortgage interest + Taxes + Insurance +Utilities + Maintenance, I could rent something nice, bank the same principal, and be free for the weekends. I usually budget $500/mo for maintenance and always seem to blow it.

Its worth it with kids to have a consistent place so you dont have to move schools but I don't buy that I am coming out ahead in the rent vs. own game and I have bought/sold 4 of them! I could have just threw the extra money in the S and P 500 and came out ahead.

In other news, I just paid off my 7 year 0% interest mass save heat loan for a house I sold in 2019. That's some interest rate arbitrage/home improvement that worked in my favor haha. Put everything into that loan asbestos abatement, chimney liner, boiler, insulation.

I think in the own vs rent battle there's no slam dunk either way. It depends on location, circumstances, personal preferences, pets, the state of the rent and housing markets etc. as to which one may work out better. There does tend to be a stronger case for a couple or family to own as opposed to a single person, mostly because it can be simply be easier to manage a mortgage with two incomes as opposed to one and the incentive to make long-term investments in a particular property is often higher.

Having done both, personally I'm glad to own now. Just nice to have a place where we can do whatever we want with it, be entirely our own masters and not have to be bothered about inspections and the like. You do have to worry about interest rates and extra bills, but being able to settle in and know this is very much our home suits us.

That said, the rule that just when you think you can save some money or you'll be in the clear for a while, something will break or an unexpected bill arrives is very much true. There's always something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad