OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Some Friday questions for those who like to play along:

1) Name a song that takes you back to a place and time every time you hear it.

2) When you were a child, what was your favourite TV show or movie?

3) Have you ever experienced severe weather, such as hurricane, witnessed a tornado, flooding, etc.

4) Do you meditate, do yoga, or something else to ease your body and mind? If not, what do you do to relax when the world gets stressful?

5) What was your first job and how old were you - how much were you paid?
1) Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Deep Blue Something - my late father bought the tape after hearing the song and gave us a rather colorful review of how much he didn’t like it. So now, whenever I hear that song, it reminds me of him.

2) The original Star Wars trilogy was very popular in our house, we had all the movies on VHS and they got played frequently.

3) Hurricane Gloria in 1985 - I was in 2nd grade and they cancelled school for Friday. We were excited to have a day off….until we lost power and had nothing but a radio for entertainment.

4) I listen to music when I need to relax. Noise-canceling headphones can work wonders to shut out the world around me.

5) I was 14 and I answered the phone at the local church rectory. 6 hours a week, $3 an hour under the table.

Reactions: caz16

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

3) Have you ever experienced severe weather, such as hurricane, witnessed a tornado, flooding, etc.

4) Do you meditate, do yoga, or something else to ease your body and mind? If not, what do you do to relax when the world gets stressful?

1.Blue Sky (Allman Brothers) Camping along the Kancamagus Highway and Swift River many years ago...Happy times.

2. As a child. Leave it to Beaver. Cute show

3.Hurricane a couple of times. Blizzard a few. tornado once (while driving on route 495)

4. read and listen to music. Lately I am so depressed nothing is working.

5. Babysitting 25 cents an hour. I started working at a nursing home at 15 on weekends and holidays.

• Love

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

1. Kodachrome by Paul Simon. Takes me back to the time I was a photographer at an amusement park. Idyllic summers when I was young, and carefree.
2. Magnificent Seven.
3. Blizzard of 78. A tornado outside Charlotte. A couple (barely) hurricanes that grazed New England.
4. Play music. Have meditated and done yoga in the past.
5. Dishwasher in a restaurant. 16 years old. $3.15/hr.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

1. The Verve Pipe: "The Freshman"...Semeed to be on every time I got into the car after seeing my mom at the hospital during hospice. I don't think about it in a bad way.

2. Diff'rent Strokes. Whole family sat and watched in my childhood.

3. Superstorm Sandy. No power for a week

4. Pray. Constantly. Give thanks in all situations, bad or good

5. I worked as a shipper for Freixenet, where I boxed up wines and champagne, and corkscrews and bottle stoppers. Made 3.35/he, was 15 at the time.

Reactions: NeelyDan and caz16

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Holly Jolly Christmas. My dad would sing it. Still brings a tear to my eyes.

Leave it To Beaver of course.

Blizzard of ‘78 and hurricanes Bob & Gloria.

Shut off the news and watch History and Discovery channels

I was 15. Washing dishes at Deli Delight in Cambridge. $1.10 per hour.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Rhinestone Cowboy by Glenn Campbell. One of my dad's favorites. He'd belt it out in the car every time it came on.

The Three Stooges. Must watch TV in our house.

Not severe. Was in NC when a hurricane came through but it was not a direct hit.

I'm not a yoga or meditation person. I love riding my bike, that is always an oasis for me. Having said that, I despise cyclists (or "cycling douches" as I affectionately refer to them).

Summer after 8th grade. Quincy had a program where you could work with the janitors for the summer, cleaning a school. I made $83 a week, tax free. I felt like a high roller making that kind of money. And I learned alot from the crew of janitors.

Reactions: caz16 and Gee Wally

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH

1.) Danny Boy because my Grandfather would always sing that song. At his funeral they played it on the organ and there was not a dry eye in the building.

2.) The Andy Griffith Show and a favorite movie was Smokey and the Bandit and a close second would be Slapshot.

3.) The Blizzard of '78. Hurricane's Gloria & Bob.

4.) I enjoy reading mostly read Westerns and History books of the Wild west, read around 40++ books a year.

5.) My first job was through the School and I worked cleaning the classrooms and was paid $1.35 per hour.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Hey @caz16 ...Time for your answers!

Reactions: NeelyDan and caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

1) Layla by Derek & The Dominoes, I was about 11 when it came out, reminds me of the long, hot summer that year, just being a kid, riding bikes and having fun. Still one of my favourite songs.

2) I loved cartoons, so it was the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour. I also loved Happy Days.

3) I have not for the most part, some bad snowstorms when the township roads were completely closed because it wasn't safe for the plows.

4) I love meditation and often do guided meditations by the Honest Guys on Youtube - they are awesome. They got me through some terrible times and often I fall asleep listening, so they work well for me.

5) Not counting baby sitting for .50 an hour, my first job was at McDonald's at 16 years old. I worked my butt off for about $1.75 an hour in the late 70s....but got some free food too, so I was rich.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

1. Ballad of Jayne by LA Guns was my first breakup song and still hits me.

2. The Hilarious House of Frightenstein or the cartoon Heathcliff

3. No. I feel like that’s weird too.

4. They call me Two-Gummy Dano

5. Timekeeper for a men’s beer league. I learned a lot, lol

Ps I was high as balls when last night I thought it would be awesome to ask the ladies from here in my group chat for nudies but they put me in my place faster than your supreme cou….nevermind, let’s just say fast

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Ps I was high as balls when last night I thought it would be awesome to ask the ladies from here in my group chat for nudies but they put me in my place faster than your supreme cou….nevermind, let’s just say fast

IMG_0597.jpeg

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The current dew point in Newton is 75.

View attachment 892844
My only air conditioner is broken and awaiting the main PCB to come in. I do have a dehumidifier in my basement but.... Thankfully the sun isn't out ...yet . It is supposed to be brutal in the next few days. I will be grouchy
1720278478525.png

I am ready for Fall and winter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad