OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Fun fact: they didn't. They found some blood in the snow and their police neighbor grabbed some red solo cups and put these cups in a stop n shop paper bag, not an evidence bag.

That doesn't sound like typical procedure but I am not a law enforcement officer

Top it all off. He lost 3 pints of blood. Blood which was not under his body and is nowhere to be found. The prosecution wants to you believe she backed up and hit him, and he did a 360 pirouette in the air (their words) and his his head, and the cocktail glass he was apparently holding, cut his arm.

The magic bullet from the JFK assassination comes to mind reading this. Highly improbable, but possible.
Feel free to Google his autopsy photos and make your own judgemental.

I am not medically trained so my own judgement would be worthless. Theres a reason you normally can't just walk in off the street and get that type of job with no education/experience.

This case is absolutely insane. He was beaten up and his arm 100000% looks like dog bites. A dog bite expert testified that it was. The Feds sent their own investigators from ARCCA. Including one of their biomechanist's specializing in the study of the forces and mechanics associated with injuries to the human body. They have worked with the NHL.

And they all concluded he was not hit by a car. Even the prosecutions medical examiner admitted it's not consistent with all the hit and runs she's seen, and could not say within a doubt he was hit by a car.

Add a bunch of butt dials, people destroying their phones, "rehoming" their phones. This entire thing is an embarrassment. Trooper Proctor being relived of his duties so far, him looking for nudes on Karen's phone. Calling her all disgusting names. Hoping she kills herself, etc texting his superiors all of this like it's no big deal, it's an embarrassment to good police. Canton is corrupt.

And now that 21 year old Sandra Birchmore's death is ruled a homicide, some of the cops in the Karen Read case are involved in her death too. Its a mess.

Sounds like the next installment of Glass Onion. Guess we'll just never know what happened that night. Seems like Karen may walk due to incompetence by the ones responsible for investigating.

A very curious case thats for sure. I can see why it has people on both sides up in arms.

Yep. I have this 65” in my family room. Great tv. Pricey. The screens are made by Samsung.

Rest of the house Vizios.

Didn't realize moderating my BS paid so well.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
That doesn't sound like typical procedure but I am not a law enforcement officer

The magic bullet from the JFK assassination comes to mind reading this. Highly improbable, but possible.

I am not medically trained so my own judgement would be worthless. Theres a reason you normally can't just walk in off the street and get that type of job with no education/experience.

Sounds like the next installment of Glass Onion. Guess we'll just never know what happened that night. Seems like Karen may walk due to incompetence by the ones responsible for investigating.

A very curious case thats for sure. I can see why it has people on both sides up in arms.

Didn't realize moderating my BS paid so well.

I never saw a Brinks truck follow a hearse.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Yep. I have this 65” in my family room. Great tv. Pricey. The screens are made by Samsung.

Rest of the house Vizios.
Yes tha tis a very good TV. But if BMC does not want to spend that much money on a TV there are some very good OLEDS in the $1500 range. Also decide on what size you really need to be happy. A 50 or 55 inch is going to be less expensive if you don't need to have a 65 inch. For the TV I bought the smaller screen was about $1,000 less than the same model in a larger screen size so I compromised a bit on size to save some money.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yes tha tis a very good TV. But if BMC does not want to spend that much money on a TV there are some very good OLEDS in the $1500 range. Also decide on what size you really need to be happy. A 50 or 55 inch is going to be less expensive if you don't need to have a 65 inch. For the TV I bought the smaller screen was about $1,000 less than the same model in a larger screen size so I compromised a bit on size to save some money.

Oh, I absolutely agree.

I got this in my bedroom and its really a great tv.

Especially with room dark watching the game.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Oh, I absolutely agree.

I got this in my bedroom and its really a great tv.

Especially with room dark watching the game.
Vizio is usually rated one of the best budget brands. They are a solid quality TV.

BMC if you have any questions before you make your purchase I'm sure we can help.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So, mice built a huge nest in the outside box of my ductless air conditioner. This is what caused the main motherboard to burn.

The pcb is on order and will cost a lot to fix. It may be 2 weeks....

It is always something.

As someone who looked into moving to NS for a while and read a lot of reddit on the topic and found alot of Canadiens wanting to move to the USA, it seems like Boston is as expensive as Toronto, but you get paid a lot more. And since you are in a high paying job you will get good vacation and health insurance. Our health system sucks in a lot of ways, but we do seem to have more doctors than Canada.
and...you can go to Bruins games !

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have a 42" Vizio in my living room. Had to have the motherboard or something replaced within the first year, but other than that it's been great.

Also have a 50" (I think?) Samsung. Picture is fantastic, but the sound is not as good. When I watch a movie on the Vizio I can hear things more clearly than when I watch the same movie on the Samsung. Also I have to turn up the sound for dialog, then when it suddenly switches to loud noises I have to turn the sound down. I don't have to do that with the Vizio :dunno:

Reactions: BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Mom has to replace her central air unit. It’s on its last legs.

Getting quotes between 10-15k (depending on unit) and she has a 2 bedroom 1300 sq ft single family. I’m paying for it so is that about the going rate these days?

She’s gotten 3 quotes so far and they are roughly all the same so I assume it just is what it is.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Getting quotes between 10-15k (depending on unit) and she has a 2 bedroom 1300 sq ft single family. I’m paying for it so is that about the going rate these days?

She’s gotten 3 quotes so far and they are roughly all the same so I assume it just is what it is.
We replaced our old unit in 2021 and paid almost 10. I looked in my email and the estimate was $9,829. So we went with 16 seer condenser by Trane.

If you're in Massachusetts, we used Falite Bros. Couldn't recommend them enough.

This is ours. Picture is immediately after they installed it. They added this platform too. On one of the hottest days of the year. They were great. So nice having a working central air unit.

20210824_164823.jpg

Reactions: rfournier103

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I would try to get quotes in your name to see what the price would be. It’s sad to say but often times companies will quote a woman higher than they would a man. It’s really pathetic that people do this but sadly, some companies just don’t care.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I got both zones replaced 5 years ago. 15K.
They were originally installed in 1998. But had the old now outlawed freon system. So it cost more.
So it can be expensive.

We used these guys out of Auburn. They also do my annual pm for heat and AC. Very responsive.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
We replaced our old unit in 2021 and paid almost 10. I looked in my email and the estimate was $9,829. So we went with 16 seer condenser by Trane.

If you're in Massachusetts, we used Falite Bros. Couldn't recommend them enough.

This is ours. Picture is immediately after they installed it. They added this platform too. On one of the hottest days of the year. They were great. So nice having a working central air unit.

View attachment 891730

I would try to get quotes in your name to see what the price would be. It’s sad to say but often times companies will quote a woman higher than they would a man. It’s really pathetic that people do this but sadly, some companies just don’t care.

I got both zones replaced 5 years ago. 15K.
They were originally installed in 1998. But had the old now outlawed freon system. So it cost more.
So it can be expensive.

We used these guys out of Auburn. They also do my annual pm for heat and AC. Very responsive.

Thank you for these recommendations. These data points are helpful.

I’ll shop around for a few more quotes

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

This.

Since I work in insurance I have a pretty fair idea as to how much work should cost. You'd be surprised at how many times I've caught a contractor trying to f*** me over on price. It was a joy to call them out over it. It took awhile but eventually I found contractors who treat me right and those are the ones I refer to clients when they ask for a recommendation. It's still the best advertising a business can get.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Thank you for these recommendations. These data points are helpful.

I’ll shop around for a few more quotes
I just had a single zone AC put in from scratch, $14.5k a few months ago before AC season kicked off. Services 1800 sq ft

This was everything, cutting all the holes, all the ductwork, insulation, electrical, refrigerant, all of it. First quote was "I'll try to keep it under 18"

I think 10 seems like a good price, and 15 just a hair too high. I know that in the last couple years all these supplies doubled but that still seems high since you dont need everything. Guess it all depends on the unit (home depot special or otherwise?) and the location of the air handler. If it's up in the attic, maybe the price is a bit higher because it sucks working in a hot attic.

Whatever the case, even if it's 15k I don't think you'll beat yourself up over it. When it's 99 degrees with matching humidity, and your mother calls you and says "Hi how are you today? Oh, me? No no I'm nice and cool. It's 70 degrees inside!" you'll forget all about the cost. It won't matter.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Vizio is usually rated one of the best budget brands. They are a solid quality TV.

BMC if you have any questions before you make your purchase I'm sure we can help.

Thanks @bossfan and everyone else for their tv advice! :thumbu:

My budget is around $300.00 plus I need to buy a new surge supressor, that got cooked too. I presently have a 27" Vizio wall mounted. It was about 8 years old so I suppose I shouldn't complain, it is just that these things never happen at a good time!!!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This.

Since I work in insurance I have a pretty fair idea as to how much work should cost. You'd be surprised at how many times I've caught a contractor trying to f*** me over on price. It was a joy to call them out over it. It took awhile but eventually I found contractors who treat me right and those are the ones I refer to clients when they ask for a recommendation. It's still the best advertising a business can get.
I dealt with it post hit and run with the autobody shop. I had to get the insurance company and inspector involved when they wouldn't tell me when my car would be ready.

I have zero tolerance for it and like you, I love when I can call these people out on it.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
My tv shit the bed. Any recommendations?
I've had great success with the TCL TVs. Definitely on the cheap end, but my main TV is the 65 inch series 6 and it's been great for 6ish years. Even the cheapest 32 inchers we put in the bedrooms are holding strong after years, despite being sub $200 when we bought them.

If price is a concern, I suggest TCL.

It's my Acer (laptops) of the TV world; I love them and I'm not exactly a gentle / limited user of either.

Reactions: TD Charlie and BMC

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Went to the cemetery today to visit my nephew. Today is his Birthday, he would of been 12 years old. Always a hard day. But I brought a card, and a beautiful cherub angel baby statue. Babies and children who pass away from CDH, are called Cherubs. So I thought it was appropriate.

Then I stopped by the mausoleum to visit my Grandmother. Had a good talk. A good cry.

Big hugs to anyone dealing with grief. It never goes away. But every year, you comes to terms with it a bit more I guess.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad