OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It's been a while, so why not ask a few questions for fun.

1) Memories are triggered by things we smell - what is your favourite smell? Does it bring back a favourite memory?

2) Are you afraid of insects - spiders or something else? Is there a logical reason for the fear and just how afraid are you?

3) Have you made something that you are really proud of? Share a pic if you feel like it!

4) What was the first car you owned? Did you name it?

5) Remember when there were prizes in cereal boxes or you could collect the UPCs for something? What was the best toy or item you ever got?

6) Since it is so hot, let's talk cold treats! What is your favourite summer treat?

Stay cool, pre-season is only 94 days away. We can make it!

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Happy Summer Solstice Blessings y'all!!
Happy Summer Solstice Blessings!

1718875924373.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Ladyfan

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
Well here in Belknap county it has been 99 degrees the last two days. Our downstairs is cool especially in the morning but we had appointments yesterday and when we came home it was 82 degrees downstairs. We had all the blinds closed too, I don't get it. I watched our local weather and it said tonight we are cooling down and on Saturday less humid. I would gladly welcome the cold over this unbearable heat as it is easier to put on an extra shirt but with the heat it is terrible. The problem with an AC is when you are in it a while when you do go out it is like a slap in the face of heat.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I heard this live as I was driving into work. It took me a minute to remember that it was April Fools and therefore a hoax, and after that all I could think was that we’re hearing the last of Opie and Anthony on WAAF. Turns out I was right.

The hoax was made worse by the fact that Menino was on a plane as this was airing and people couldn’t get ahold of him. He was understandably unhappy about it when he found out, as were his family members. The mayor filed a complaint with the FCC and it didn’t take long after that for the station to give them the boot.
My memory is Menino's daughter heard the report or friends quickly told her.

Opie and Anthony were banned in Boston but then got hired in New York City.

In NY they made the fatal mistake of going after the Catholic Archdiocese of New York.

St. Patrick's Cathedral - 5th Ave between 50th/51st Streets, New York, NY 10022 is the most valuable real estate parcel in Manhattan.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
1) Memories are triggered by things we smell - what is your favourite smell? Does it bring back a favourite memory?

The smell of the ocean. So many great memories of childhood vacations whether down the Cape or up at Old Orchard.

2) Are you afraid of insects - spiders or something else? Is there a logical reason for the fear and just how afraid are you?

Hornets and yellow jackets. Extremely allergic. Swell up like the Elephant Man.

3) Have you made something that you are really proud of? Share a pic if you feel like it!

1718879159826.jpeg

My ‘62 Chevy.

1718879206708.png

5) Remember when there were prizes in cereal boxes or you could collect the UPCs for something? What was the best toy or item you ever got?

Cant recall.

6) Since it is so hot, let's talk cold treats! What is your favourite summer treat?

Hot fudge sundae.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

1. As a child we used to go to a cottage on Ossipee Lake in NH. We went until I was 16. It was right on the lake with a sandy beach. You had to drive on a dirt road to get there. When Amanda was 4, I rented the cottage (hadn't been there for years). I had told Amanda stories about it. I told her about the tree with many signs on it where you turned onto the dirt road. When we got to the "sign tree" she was so excited. For me....when I opened the car door and smelled the sweet pines it was so wonderful.

2. I am afraid of spiders. My Mom was too and my daughter is.

1718881781464.png

4. My first car was a Plymouth Cricket...terrible car. I need a co-sign on the car loan and Dad made me buy it because he knew the owner of the Plymouth dealership.

5. I was never a big cereal eater so didn't get a prize. Cracker jacks!!! I got a mood ring.

6. Ice tea made from real brewed tea. ..with lots of lemon!

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

1) I can’t really say that I have a favorite smell. Coffee will forever remind me of my dad, who drank it like it was going out of style. I’m not a coffee drinker though so that smell is not present in our house.

2) I’m not a fan of any flying insects that can sting.

3) I recently (in the last year) got into smoking meats with a smoker and I’ve seen a lot of improvement in what I’ve been making. It makes me happy to make things that others are enjoying.

4) My first car was a 1993 Dodge Spirit. It was all I could afford and it was an adventure because at 6’6”, I could barely fit in it. I have no idea how I drove that thing for 3 years.

5) I have a vague memory of us winning something from a box of cereal when I was young but I don’t remember which cereal. My parents tended to avoid cereals with prizes because there were 4 boys in the house and they didn’t want to referee who got the prize.

6) I am a certified ice cream junkie. There are very few scenarios in which I will refuse it. My favorite is chocolate anything, haha. I grew up 5 minutes from Ron’s Ice Cream in Hyde Park and now I live not far from a few spots on the South Shore so I have been blessed with confectionery nirvana.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
One of my favorite smells was riding on the sunbeam bread truck bac k in the 60's and I can still remember that smell of all the freshly made cakes and other goodies.

As for cereal I mostly ate Quisp cereal which was a Quaker product and it was in the shape of little flying saucers. My Mom hated it because when you poured the milk on them they were cupped and the milk would fly out of the bowl. My best thing I ever got from cereal was from Quisp. If you save so many box tops plus 50 cents for shipping you could get a Quisp propeller that was like a hat. The character Quisp was all pin k and he had the propeller on his head. They still make the cereal but the local store stopped carrying it.

I am allergic to yellow jackets and wasps so I tend too stay away from them.

A love ice cream and have frequented our local dairy queen several times this year and they make a peanut butter blizzard that is just so good. I go back in forth to that or a large vanilla cone. Had the vanilla ice cream cone last night and drove down by the lake and watched the sunset and it was so refreshing on these horrid hot days.

Stay cool everyone and be SAFE!!!

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

I love the smell of fire on crisp cold days and I love the smell of outside air driving home from a day at the beach on a hot summer nite; the latter definitely brings back the best of memories.
ticks. I hate them ever since I had one attached to my "you know what" after a kayak trip, I constantly check myself after going in the woods and I always look down that im not brushing up against taller grass. This is even with spraying permethrin all over my boots and sneakers.
definitely my daughter. shes 11 now and shes such a sweetie
it was a 1988 silver dodge daytona. Looked like the delorian from Back to the Future so I named it "Doc" for some reason.
I honsestly dont remember ever trying to collect that type of stuff. I was always trying to collect baseball and hockey cards, or gargage pail kids cards and then trying to fill up all those baseball card sticker books. lol
definitely any type of ice cold beer. Ice cream gives me stomach aches so I can pretty much only have DQ ice cream.

• Love
Reactions: caz16 and Gee Wally

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

The smell of the ocean. So many great memories of childhood vacations whether down the Cape or up at Old Orchard.

Hornets and yellow jackets. Extremely allergic. Swell up like the Elephant Man.

View attachment 884712

My ‘62 Chevy.

View attachment 884713

Cant recall.

Hot fudge sundae.

Favorite smell occurs when I'm driving through a quaint, snowy New England town(I grew up in southwest Vermont) in the winter and I notice the aroma of burning wood, i.e., hickory.

11 days until development camp!

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

1. It is a tie between the smell of turkey & toll house cookies being baked. Brings back memories of Thanksgiving & Christmas.

2. Spiders. I loathe them (ask anyone who follows me on Facebook lol). They just creep the hell out of me, definitely afraid of them.

3. No. Well except toll house cookies, I've got that down to an art.

4. 1983 Ford Ranger. No name.

5. I do remember the prizes in cereal boxes & the UPC offers. I can't remember what I got though.

6. My favorite summer (& actually all year round) treat is ice cream. Currently binging on Friendly's Vienna Mocha Crunch. I'll also order a milk shake with my meal if the restaurant has them & makes them with real ice cream. I'm a shake snob.

Reactions: sooshii and caz16

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
One of my favorite smells was riding on the sunbeam bread truck bac k in the 60's and I can still remember that smell of all the freshly made cakes and other goodies.

As for cereal I mostly ate Quisp cereal which was a Quaker product and it was in the shape of little flying saucers. My Mom hated it because when you poured the milk on them they were cupped and the milk would fly out of the bowl. My best thing I ever got from cereal was from Quisp. If you save so many box tops plus 50 cents for shipping you could get a Quisp propeller that was like a hat. The character Quisp was all pin k and he had the propeller on his head. They still make the cereal but the local store stopped carrying it.

I am allergic to yellow jackets and wasps so I tend too stay away from them.

A love ice cream and have frequented our local dairy queen several times this year and they make a peanut butter blizzard that is just so good. I go back in forth to that or a large vanilla cone. Had the vanilla ice cream cone last night and drove down by the lake and watched the sunset and it was so refreshing on these horrid hot days.

Stay cool everyone and be SAFE!!!

OMG I remember Quisp! I haven't seen it around here in decades though. Apple Jacks & Sugar Smacks were also favorites. All that sugar...

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
1. The Ocean. Bacon frying and onions sauteing in butter is a close second.

2. Not afraid of insects. I learned in SERE School that lot of them are quite tasty. Just be sure to pull the heads off grasshoppers before you eat them....

3. Besides my 3 children? I paint toy soldiers as a hobby and have won a few awards. Don't have a photo handy at the moment.

4. First car was a 1970 Olds Cutlass. No power steering, no AC, AM radio, manual windows and the passenger side floorboard was rusted out so water would splash in. I put a piece of paneling down on the floorboard to keep the water out.

5. I collected the baseball/football cards in Kellogg Cereal boxes. I ate some garbage cereal just to get those cards. Later, they came out with 3D cards that were inside the box which I also loved. EDIT: Correction, it was HOSTESS who put the cards on the back of the boxes. Kellogg's had them INSIDE the box.

6. My favorites are a nice fresh fruit salad, cold watermelon, or ice cold beer.

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

1. I love the smell of lilacs, the weather is usually perfect when they are blooming. Lots of memories of the kids cutting them and taking them to school for their teachers.

2. Spiders, earwigs, flying stinging things, June bugs.....I guess a lot. My sanity leaves me completely if a wasp, bee, etc., gets in the car - I would be one of those car crash people. I keep my windows up all the time because of that.

3. Seeing some of you post your kids, I'll go with that too. I'm not very talented otherwise.

4. Mine was a 1972 LeMans bronze muscle car - my brother's hand me down with more power than I cared to have. It was fun though. Her name was Mandy.

5. I remember getting Rollercoaster Tycoon software and a bunch of books when the kids were little - I actually won a kit to build the car in Back to The Future too from inside the box lid - only time I get a winning cereal box like that.

6. I love Fudgsicles and ice-cream sandwiches. A soft ice cream cone is also amazing, especially with a Milk Flake stuck in it (99).

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Donald Sutherland is and was, one of the best actors I've ever watched. He was simply phenomenal in his work. What a loss. But what a life.

Rest in Peace.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad